Make Linux Mint in VM ignore Ethernet and ONLY connect via wifi?

BaidDSB

So im running Mint in a VM inside windows 10.

i have both Ethernet and a wifi adapter to connect to my phone data hotspot.

i want Mint to completely ignore the Ethernet and only connect to the hotspot wifi everytime i boot in Linux

is it possible?

10 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

i want Mint to completely ignore the Ethernet and only connect to the hotspot wifi everytime i boot in Linux

Do you not have it storing anything? Just turn the Ethernet off? Click the network icon and disable the wired connection.  Does this not work?

the configuration of whatever hypervisor software you're using should allow you to configure where the network connection goes.

10 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Do you not have it storing anything? Just turn the Ethernet off? Click the network icon and disable the wired connection.  Does this not work?

Ethernet off before connecting to the VM?

10 hours ago, manikyath said:

the configuration of whatever hypervisor software you're using should allow you to configure where the network connection goes.

im using VirtualBox

2 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

im using VirtualBox

right click the VM => settings => network => "attached to" set to bridged, "name" set to the wifi card.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

right click the VM => settings => network => "attached to" set to bridged, "name" set to the wifi card.

ok did that. so now do i first connect to the hotspot before opening the VM?

what about the ethernet on my pc? it it work separately?

41 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

ok did that. so now do i first connect to the hotspot before opening the VM?

what about the ethernet on my pc? it it work separately?

what that does is make it so the emulated network card in the VM will only talk to whatever network the wifi card is connected to.

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

what that does is make it so the emulated network card in the VM will only talk to whatever network the wifi card is connected to.

ok so then i can run my main windows on my ethernet and my VM Linux on my wifi hotspot at the same time?

6 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

ok so then i can run my main windows on my ethernet and my VM Linux on my wifi hotspot at the same time?

yes.

11 hours ago, manikyath said:

yes.

ok last question. any way to do that wifi bridge thing in VMware?

4 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

no idea, havent used vmware in ages.

9 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

You might be able to pass through your wireless card as a PCI device but honestly im not sure. I havent touched VirtualBox in ages, only ESXi, and ive never used Wireless in ESXi

Breaking things 1 day at a time

2 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

You might be able to pass through your wireless card as a PCI device but honestly im not sure. I havent touched VirtualBox in ages, only ESXi, and ive never used Wireless in ESXi

You mean VMware?.the other guy helped with Virtualbox. Which will work for now

On 9/25/2023 at 12:58 PM, BaidDSB said:

You mean VMware?.the other guy helped with Virtualbox. Which will work for now

Maybe I have it wrong. In my head VMWare made VirtualBox but I think you are right.

VMWare makes ESXi

1 hour ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Maybe I have it wrong. In my head VMWare made VirtualBox but I think you are right.

VMWare makes ESXi

so.. can you help out?

2 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

so.. can you help out?

I mean I can try. So are you using virtual box or esxi? 

I only really know esxi but am happy to take a look 

12 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I mean I can try. So are you using virtual box or esxi? 

I only really know esxi but am happy to take a look 

im using vmware workstation. should esxi and workstation be much different? since its made by the same company?

7 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

im using vmware workstation. should esxi and workstation be much different? since its made by the same company?

No they are pretty similar. Let me see if I can find my workstation copy to look at it. 

9 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

OK so ive got workstation 17 Pro fired up. Is your ethernet and wireless card built into the motherboard on your PC, or is one a USB adapter? 

I cant say my case is similar to yours as my laptop only has built in wireless and I have a USB ethernet adapter. Im reversing the roles of our adapters.

It looks there isnt an option for PCI Passthrough in Workstation like there is in ESXi (You can pass through any PCI device, in our case the wireless card). So you will have to settle for bridging. 

Assuming it is not a USB wireless card, do this-

Start by editing the virtual network:

1. In workstation, go to the Edit tab and select Virtual Network Editor
  2. Select Change Settings in the lower right corner
  3. Go back to Edit > Virtual Network Editor
  4. Locate and select the network with type "bridged". Note the adapter name. Mine is VMnet0
  5. Under VMnet Information, select the drop down next to 'Bridged to' and choose your wireless adapter
  6. Select Apply and OK

Now apply that to your VM:

1. Select the VM tab > Settings
  2. Under hardware, select Network Adapter
  3. Under Network Connection, select 'Bridged', or use the Custom dropdown to select the Virtual Network name of the bridged adapter (VMnet0)
  4. Hit OK. If your VM Doesnt get a network connection, follow steps 1-3 again but also check the 'replicate physical network connection state' box.

This will make the wireless adapter appear as an ethernet adapter. You will need to connect to the wifi on your computer to get the VM on the internet. 

If it is USB, Go to VM tab and select Removable devices, choose your wireless card out of the list. This will remove it from the host (your computer) and make it appear directly connected to the VM.

Hope this helps

11 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

OK so ive got workstation 17 Pro fired up. Is your ethernet and wireless card built into the motherboard on your PC, or is one a USB adapter? 

I cant say my case is similar to yours as my laptop only has built in wireless and I have a USB ethernet adapter. Im reversing the roles of our adapters.

It looks there isnt an option for PCI Passthrough in Workstation like there is in ESXi (You can pass through any PCI device, in our case the wireless card). So you will have to settle for bridging. 

Assuming it is not a USB wireless card, do this-

Start by editing the virtual network:

1. In workstation, go to the Edit tab and select Virtual Network Editor
  2. Select Change Settings in the lower right corner
  3. Go back to Edit > Virtual Network Editor
  4. Locate and select the network with type "bridged". Note the adapter name. Mine is VMnet0
  5. Under VMnet Information, select the drop down next to 'Bridged to' and choose your wireless adapter
  6. Select Apply and OK

Now apply that to your VM:

1. Select the VM tab > Settings
  2. Under hardware, select Network Adapter
  3. Under Network Connection, select 'Bridged', or use the Custom dropdown to select the Virtual Network name of the bridged adapter (VMnet0)
  4. Hit OK. If your VM Doesnt get a network connection, follow steps 1-3 again but also check the 'replicate physical network connection state' box.

This will make the wireless adapter appear as an ethernet adapter. You will need to connect to the wifi on your computer to get the VM on the internet. 

If it is USB, Go to VM tab and select Removable devices, choose your wireless card out of the list. This will remove it from the host (your computer) and make it appear directly connected to the VM.

Hope this helps

yea it is a USB wireless adapter

On 9/30/2023 at 12:52 AM, BaidDSB said:

yea it is a USB wireless adapter

Oh follow the last paragraph then and you can pass it directly through