NAS Server for PLEX and Steam Questions

gwapongharjin

I currently have an SBC Server.

The server runs the following services

• PiHole
  • Samba
  • BitTorrent
  • PLEX

In the attached image I am showing my 2 Windows Devices (Desktop [2.5 Gbps] and Mini PC [5 Ghz wifi]) downloading a game over the LAN.

Screenshot2023-09-24022610.thumb.png.c980e4600a744c93cb9b260ecb0cbf04.png

I am looking to make another NAS server to store my PLEX and steam files. I am wondering on how to do it though.

I am thinking about these two options:

1. Install a network file system (Samaba/iSCSI) add this network drive to a PC which will be able to download games directly to the directory on the NAS
  2. Install Steam on the NAS Server, download games on the server and download to specific devices when needed

The downside for number 1 are that whenever I need to download/update the games on my Mini PC, if the games are installed on my Desktop, I would need my Desktop to be turned on as it has access to the files via a network connection. I am confused however, on how will steam handle if both devices are connected via network.

The downside for number 2 is steam on a linux server is hard to work on (I tried installing steam on my current server and I don't understand the errors with the libraries). I think this is a better option for me since the server is also on 2.5Gbps Ethernet and I will not have to turn on my Desktop for downloading games.

I do have a number 3 but it is something I have not tired but may try in the future. I am thing to run my NAS on a Windows server and then virtualize a SteamOS environment where all the games will be downloaded.

I just want some advice on what is the best practice. The main thing I just want to accomplish is to have all my games in one device and just download them as needed and to have it run on low power (Not having to turn on my PC or MiniPC to download things)