Keyboard recommendations? Logitech G910 going bad

ARitz Cracker

Hey there! I've got a Logitech G910 that's seemingly going bad. I've had it for 5ish years. The problem is that the switches are getting... Bouncy, erroneously registering multiple keypresses or registering them too late, making typing of any kind very frustrating.

Now I did take off all the keycaps and cleaned it, though the issue persists, and while fixing it would be ideal, the nontrivial disassembly and soldered-on switches have always been a pain point for me. And so, I think I would like see my options for keyboards out there.

My ideal keyboard would be

• RGB Backlit (ofc)
  • Keycaps wouldn't be completely opaque, letters should glow.
  • Replaceable switches. (More important than glowing letters)
  • (Nice-to-have) programmable dedicated macro keys.
  • (Nice-to-have) the ability to upload your own design for the keycaps, I've used wasdkeyboards.com/ for my office setup, but they don't seem to have backlit keyboard options.
  • Doesn't require its own software to control its colours/macros (OpenRGB support is fine)

The upper limit of my budget is $300 CAD.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

10 minutes ago, ARitz Cracker said:

Hey there! I've got a Logitech G910 that's seemingly going bad. I've had it for 5ish years. The problem is that the switches are getting... Bouncy, erroneously registering multiple keypresses or registering them too late, making typing of any kind very frustrating.

Now I did take off all the keycaps and cleaned it, though the issue persists, and while fixing it would be ideal, the nontrivial disassembly and soldered-on switches have always been a pain point for me. And so, I think I would like see my options for keyboards out there.

My ideal keyboard would be

• RGB Backlit (ofc)
  • Keycaps wouldn't be completely opaque, letters should glow.
  • Replaceable switches. (More important than glowing letters)
  • (Nice-to-have) programmable dedicated macro keys.
  • (Nice-to-have) the ability to upload your own design for the keycaps, I've used wasdkeyboards.com/ for my office setup, but they don't seem to have backlit keyboard options.
  • Doesn't require its own software to control its colours/macros (OpenRGB support is fine)

The upper limit of my budget is $300 CAD.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Why not simply buy another G910? If there wasn't anything in particular you disliked about it enough to use it for 5 years, simply buying the latest model would be my recommendation.

Keyboards are something I fought with for years, mostly because I don't care for ANY of the standard features and simply want a no frills keyboard. The custom $200 keyboard I have now doesn't even have backlighting, macro keys, or anything. Its actually WASD Keyboard's 87 key hot-swappable model which has been a dream in comparison to the years long nightmare that is finding a 'no frills' keyboards.

I thought not having backlighting would be a problem, but its been the opposite. At no point have I ran into a problem because of that, especially with the glow of the monitor being always there. But I'm also an experienced typist who rarely has to look at the keyboard, even for special characters (sometimes I forget num4-8's special characters).

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Since you wanted glowed letters on the keycaps (RGB passthrough), and replaceable switches (hot-swap), I would suggest ASUS ROG STRIX SCOPE II 96

I'm not sure about the macro keys setting from the internal ASUS Keyboard, at least the scroll wheel is customizable

This keyboard is a right step from mainstream Keyboard manufacturer and a lot of YouTube Keyboard reviewers give a high regard on it

But if you want dedicated macro function, hot-swappable, MacOS support without additional software, RGB but no keycaps letter RGB passthrough,  Keychron is the obvious answer

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Just now, Agall said:

Why not simply buy another G910?

It's a PITA to clean and the soldered switches rub me the wrong way.

Just now, Agall said:

WASD Keyboard [...] has been a dream in comparison to the years long nightmare that is finding a 'no frills' keyboards.

Agreed, I use one for my office. But I want RGB for my gamer desk.

1 minute ago, ARitz Cracker said:

It's a PITA to clean and the soldered switches rub me the wrong way.

Agreed, I use one for my office. But I want RGB for my gamer desk.

If you've liked it as a gaming keyboard, simply replace it more frequently instead of cleaning it. Otherwise, WASD Keyboard probably has a solution for you unless you're aiming for RGB rainbow synchronization. I personally am a function > form radical, so my setup has 0 RGB (my Samsung G8 monitor's RGB is set to red since its great bias lightning for the backwall). 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Already checked out keychron's Canadian website? K series should have shine through keycaps, otherwise all other board (except the most basic) have RGB on the PCB.

V and Q series and K pro have hotswap, with K series it's an option you have to look out for.

V,Q,K pro have VIA/QMk so they are easy to reprogram and don't need bloatware.

Look around here a bit, there were a few requests for TKL recommendations in the past with good suggestions 

1 hour ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Already checked out keychron's Canadian website? K series should have shine through keycaps, otherwise all other board (except the most basic) have RGB on the PCB.

V and Q series and K pro have hotswap, with K series it's an option you have to look out for.

V,Q,K pro have VIA/QMk so they are easy to reprogram and don't need bloatware.

Look around here a bit, there were a few requests for TKL recommendations in the past with good suggestions 

Thanks for the suggestion! Though I probably should have mentioned that I'd like a 104-key, I'd rather have the numpad than not.

1 minute ago, ARitz Cracker said:

Though I probably should have mentioned that I'd like a 104-key, I'd rather have the numpad than not.

Check out the V6, only thing you'd need are custom keycaps with shine-through.

VIA/QMK for reprogramming to anything you want, RGB, numpad, hotswap. Not wireless though.

Don't know about CAD prices atm, but with up to 300CAD you might still have some budget left at the end for nicer switches if the stock options aren't to your liking.

4 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Check out the V6, only thing you'd need are custom keycaps with shine-through.

VIA/QMK for reprogramming to anything you want, RGB, numpad, hotswap. Not wireless though.

Don't know about CAD prices atm, but with up to 300CAD you might still have some budget left at the end for nicer switches if the stock options aren't to your liking.

Seems like I can get a barebones V6 so I can use whatever keycaps I want. Not sure where to get custom keycaps with shine-through, tho.

2 hours ago, ARitz Cracker said:

Seems like I can get a barebones V6 so I can use whatever keycaps I want. Not sure where to get custom keycaps with shine-through, tho.

Don't forget you'll also need switches as well for a barebones kit. If you plan to get red/brown/blue switches anyway, it might be cheaper to go fully assembled and just swap the keycaps. 

The G910 keycaps most likely won't be compatible with cherry compatible keycaps, otherwise you could just use those.

Otherwise, plenty of keycap sets out there, just not really custom made. You could always combine a few sets, would probably be wasteful and expensive though.

59 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Don't forget you'll also need switches as well for a barebones kit. If you plan to get red/brown/blue switches anyway, it might be cheaper to go fully assembled and just swap the keycaps. 

The G910 keycaps most likely won't be compatible with cherry compatible keycaps, otherwise you could just use those.

Otherwise, plenty of keycap sets out there, just not really custom made. You could always combine a few sets, would probably be wasteful and expensive though.

Yeah, I'll definitely price compare. No suggestions for keycap sets for backlit keyboards? These where all I could find so far: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/backlit-doubleshot-pbt-black.html

3 hours ago, ARitz Cracker said:

No suggestions for keycap sets for backlit keyboards? These where all I could find so far:

Currently on mobile only for the weekend, but I can check a few things when I get home.

Keychron has some keycaps, but most aren't shine through.

Otherwise, it depends on your location and retailers available. Amazon can be a simple starting point, or just Google.

On 9/23/2023 at 7:08 PM, ARitz Cracker said:

Yeah, I'll definitely price compare. No suggestions for keycap sets for backlit keyboards? These where all I could find so far: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/backlit-doubleshot-pbt-black.html

The usual place to start would be something like this:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=335&show=100

Ducky keycaps are mostly shine-through and can be bought on amazon etc.

Or simply amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/mintcaps-Doubleshot-Gradient-Keyboard-Mechanical/dp/B0C13Z4MHQ/ref=sr_1_11?crid=31Z867YCE4898&keywords=keycaps%2Bshine%2Bthrough&qid=1695587896&sprefix=keycaps%2Bshine%2Bt%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-11&th=1

On 9/24/2023 at 4:42 PM, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Sweet, thank you! For some reason I didn't think that amazon.ca was going to be a viable option.

So, I think I know what I want now. I'll be getting a Barbones Keychron V6 as a base, (The Q6 looks very nice but that'd put the build over my budget lol) the switches will be Gateron KS-9 Browns (2 x 65pcs order since that's what's in stock rn) with these nice side-print key-caps.

You've been an amazing help, I definitely would have taken me a lot longer to come to a decision without your help. So, again, thank you!

22 minutes ago, ARitz Cracker said:

I'll be getting a Barbones Keychron V6 as a base, (The Q6 looks very nice but that'd put the build over my budget lol) the switches will be Gateron KS-9 Browns (2 x 65pcs order since that's what's in stock rn) with these nice side-print key-caps.

Sounds like a nice combination, I would definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts on the keycaps when everything is finished.

1 hour ago, ARitz Cracker said:

Sweet, thank you! For some reason I didn't think that amazon.ca was going to be a viable option.

So, I think I know what I want now. I'll be getting a Barbones Keychron V6 as a base, (The Q6 looks very nice but that'd put the build over my budget lol) the switches will be Gateron KS-9 Browns (2 x 65pcs order since that's what's in stock rn) with these nice side-print key-caps.

You've been an amazing help, I definitely would have taken me a lot longer to come to a decision without your help. So, again, thank you!

Maybe don't go all-in with the Gateron Browns.

Cherry and Gateron Browns have a very subtle tactile bump midway through the travel. I have trouble differentiating them from Cherry/Gateron Reds to be honest (I'm a Red guy myself). Because of this, Browns are a pretty clowned-on switch.

You should look up Tactile switches with no pre-travel like the NuPhy Rose Glacier or Gateron Baby Kangaroo. Or the Boba U4T that most people seem to love.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 9/26/2023 at 10:50 AM, saintlouisbagels said:

Maybe don't go all-in with the Gateron Browns.

Cherry and Gateron Browns have a very subtle tactile bump midway through the travel. I have trouble differentiating them from Cherry/Gateron Reds to be honest (I'm a Red guy myself). Because of this, Browns are a pretty clowned-on switch.

You should look up Tactile switches with no pre-travel like the NuPhy Rose Glacier or Gateron Baby Kangaroo. Or the Boba U4T that most people seem to love.

Interesting. I don't think I'd ever be into linear switches, and I'm not 100% sure if I want a switch with no pre-travel. I went with the Brown's cuz I have blues for my office, and while they're fun to use, I just wanted something that still clicked but a bit quieter and with less actuation force.

43 minutes ago, ARitz Cracker said:

Interesting. I don't think I'd ever be into linear switches, and I'm not 100% sure if I want a switch with no pre-travel. I went with the Brown's cuz I have blues for my office, and while they're fun to use, I just wanted something that still clicked but a bit quieter and with less actuation force.

Click meaning audible click? Only "clicky" switches do that. I'm not aware if they make clicky switches at different decibels though.

Tactile switches are only a feeling; there's no audio like Clicky switches - except bottoming out Tactile switches is louder than Linears. Cherry/Gateron Brown specifically have very subtle tactile feel to them to the point that you basically don't feel it. So you're essentially just buying really loud Linear switches. But that's just the general opinion of it - obviously it's all preference.

43 minutes ago, ARitz Cracker said:

and I'm not 100% sure if I want a switch with no pre-travel

I don't think you're interpreting pre-travel correctly? It's still going to travel the same length as any normal switch.

It will just start off with the tactile snap instead of having some useless road-bump halfway through the travel.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, ARitz Cracker said:

Give linear switches a chance, you might be surprised. I would recommend yellows over reds though, that extra bit of actuation force does make a difference when it comes to typos etc.

Regarding pre-travel: in this case this is referring not to the actuation point, but to the 'bump' during travel, which is in the middle of the total travel distance. Baby Kangaroo have the bump very early, which feels quite different.

Best visualized with so-called force curves, which basically plot the spring force vs travel:

https://github.com/ThereminGoat/force-curves/blob/main/Gateron KS9 Pro 2.0 Brown/Gateron KS9 Pro 2.0 Brown.pdf

https://github.com/ThereminGoat/force-curves/blob/main/Gateron Baby Kangaroo/Gateron Baby Kangaroo.pdf

The actuation point is not shown in the plots, but it should be around the point where the two lines (black and grey) diverge, around 2.0 to 2.5mm.

2 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Baby Kangaroo have the bump very early, which feels quite different.

I have sample Baby Kangaroos from my NuPhy keyboards.

"very early" isn't really accurate - it happens right at the beginning; 0.1mm is essentially 0 unless you're a robot 🙂

It's very much like a snap or like depressing an extremely good rubber-dome keyboard.

Cherry/Gateron Brown have a subtle "speed bump" after 1.5mm of travel and as shown in the force diagram it's very unnoticeable.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow update guys, the thing took longer to ship cuz they didn't know it was out of stock. (Which seems to be a common problem?) But it's on its way now and I'll be able to assemble the thing late next week.