PSU Fan Running While on the Desktop

gtr2244
Go to solution Solved by seon123,
3 hours ago, gtr2244 said:

My case doesn't have the room for a shift. Shift has the cables on the side of the psu.

Assuming you have the Define R6, it should fit according to Corsair.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/13506805630221-Which-CORSAIR-cases-are-the-the-RMx-SHIFT-PSUs-compatible-with-What-about-non-CORSAIR-cases-

On the Amazon description it shows a graph. @25c ambient it has 0 fan speed until 340 watts. Who has a pc that runs that cool? Maybe that's why my psu keeps turning on the fan because it's not power draw, it's above 25c then turns on.

Reread the below quote.

18 hours ago, seon123 said:

In the future, just disregard manufacturer claims, and look at reputable reviews and reports. That would also allow for a consistent way to compare the products of different brands. 

Windows 11 Home

CPU: i9 12900k stock

GPU: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 OC 

MB: Asus Tuf z690 Pro

Ram: Corsair Dominator 2x8 gig 3600 hz

PSU: Corsair RM850e 

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1 Ter

M.2 Sata: WD Black 2 Ter, WD Blue 500 gig

I recently bought a Corsair RM850e psu, had sent it back because it kept turning on even while on the desktop using chrome, nothing open in the background. Now with the replacement, same model, the fan is constantly running. I have a silent case so this is the only noise I hear while idle. It is supposed to be 0 fan use until 170 watts, then 10 db of noise, which it sounds about what I'm hearing, but my pc shouldn't be drawing 170 watts while idle, what I've read it isn't drawing close to that. Any suggestions ?

What case do you have, and is the PSU oriented with the fan up or down? Where did you read that it's supposed to be passive until 170W, and 10dB? On Cybenetics, it turned its fan on at 40W, running at 830 RPM and 19.0 dBA. 

:)

It's a Fractal Design S 6, the psu has the fan down. All the information is on the Corsair website, and on the box. At 170 watts the fans turn on, 10 db up to 340 watts, then starts to increase db to 60 tops. Has a graph for the description.

My case temps are around 35-45c idle.

32 minutes ago, gtr2244 said:

It's a Fractal Design S 6, the psu has the fan down. All the information is on the Corsair website, and on the box. At 170 watts the fans turn on, 10 db up to 340 watts, then starts to increase db to 60 tops. Has a graph for the description.

My case temps are around 35-45c idle.

You could try flipping the PSU with the fan side facing up. This should allow the hot air to rise away from the thermistor, so the PSU might stay passive for longer. 35-45C is no problem for the PSU. 

I can't seem to find any noise graphs for the RMe, although Corsair does have them for some of their other PSUs. In the future, just disregard manufacturer claims, and look at reputable reviews and reports. That would also allow for a consistent way to compare the products of different brands. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/psu/cp-9020263-na/rme-series-rm850e-fully-modular-low-noise-atx-power-supply-cp-9020263-na

Your right, just describes the fan as 0 rpm mode at lower temperatures. On the side of the box it has the graph, but you can't see it on the picture. I did contact Corsair, they're willing to rma it. I'm wondering if they'll give me a refund. Do you have a recommendation for other psu's?

Just read some others saying the RME series have loud fans and defective, I'm going to return this, find a better made one.

12 hours ago, gtr2244 said:

Do you have a recommendation for other psu's?

The RMx Shift is $145 on Amazon, and is fairly quiet. Cybenetics measured passive until 425W load, with the fan starting to spin at just below 500 RPM and 7.3 dBA.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP8BJ7X4

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=1,0,28

My case doesn't have the room for a shift. Shift has the cables on the side of the psu. RMx looks good, some reviews were saying they had issues. On the Amazon description it shows a graph. @25c ambient it has 0 fan speed until 340 watts. Who has a pc that runs that cool? Maybe that's why my psu keeps turning on the fan because it's not power draw, it's above 25c then turns on. It is a loud fan motor noise though. The RM850x I'm looking at is $194 usd, so many versions. Low noise and nearly silent at low loads it says. 340-540 watts. 

My case doesn't have the room for a shift. Shift has the cables on the side of the psu.

Assuming you have the Define R6, it should fit according to Corsair.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/13506805630221-Which-CORSAIR-cases-are-the-the-RMx-SHIFT-PSUs-compatible-with-What-about-non-CORSAIR-cases-

On the Amazon description it shows a graph. @25c ambient it has 0 fan speed until 340 watts. Who has a pc that runs that cool? Maybe that's why my psu keeps turning on the fan because it's not power draw, it's above 25c then turns on.

Reread the below quote.

18 hours ago, seon123 said:

In the future, just disregard manufacturer claims, and look at reputable reviews and reports. That would also allow for a consistent way to compare the products of different brands. 

My case is an S2, it does fit with the shift. The shift is a better psu, having Japanese capacitors than non which is in the RM850e. The db graph shows at 50% load does the fan start to make noise. Hopefully it'll be quieter. I will give it a try and let you know the results.

Found this, I guess the curve is "under perfect conditions".

Fan speed probably follows temperature rather than power. So how is the psu temperature ? is airflow to the psu fan hindered for instance ?

You have a beefy system. What does MSI Afterburner say about power consumption ? You can have it show CPU power and GPU power.

I can't believe your RMA easiness, I don't mean just you. Sending back perfectly fine hardware and brands accepting it 😀.

By the way, 16GB can be tight nowadays.

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 10-03-41 49_002627_AA_WW_RMe_Series_Web_QSG_F.pdf.png

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

My temps on start up are up to 45c idle. Nothing restricting the air flow, fan is facing down, on a mesh filter. The psu is running constantly and sounds like a small motor, louder than my water pump motor, kind of an annoyance since I have all Noctua fans. That graph is on the outside of the box, I do have the psu watts on in Afterburner. It's  117w with only a web browser and no programs open, 327w while gaming. If you look at the RM850x it has a graph and it also says 0 fan noise 25c ambient. It does appear to be temperature controlled.  Corsair did have me send in a sound file of the noise which helped in the rma process.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally received the RM850x Shift, the side plugs really make a difference, easy to install and hide the cables. They placed a sticker on the psu saying low power will cause the fan to not spin. I can't hear the psu fan at all, low or high power usage. Glad I bought it. Where the 2 RM850e's both sounded like a small engine I hope they figure that out.