Recommendation for my 13700k build

Melodist

I'm about to put a 13700k system together and down below is my pcparts chart and would like to know what power supply wattage and type you think would be needed for the Z790 / Raptor Lake build since every generation behaves differently when it comes to power draw and headroom?

Given PCparts' calculation, I'd assume an 850 watt Psu isn't enough or too close to potential peaks, and here is where my knowledge of how 13th gen peaks ends but I assume 850 isn't enough?

Also I guess selecting the right power supply for this system would possibly also work well if I ended up upgrading it to a 14900k in the future?

Screenshot2023-09-19at00-16-51ChooseYourParts-PCPartPicker.thumb.png.4eae3486395f0e71c0759d3cdf4ff875.png

Btw the GPU and storage already come from my existing system, rest is new.

It is highly unlikely that for typical gaming load the highest draw parts (cpu/gpu) are going to run at full-pelt, so I'd be surprised if it exceeds 500 watts.

TPU has the CPU's average gaming power @ 89 here and the 3070 Ti FE @ 300 here. In Igor'slab's review of the 3070 Ti FE, it peaked around 400.

If the PSU is decent and capable of handling the spikes, I think it'll be fine if you went for something like MSI's A850G PCIE5.

With an upgrade to a 14900K (and presumably a new GPU too), I'd suggest more headroom and go for 1000 or 1200.

1 minute ago, Tetras said:

It is highly unlikely that for typical gaming load the highest draw parts (cpu/gpu) are going to run at full-pelt, so I'd be surprised if it exceeds 500 watts.

TPU has the CPU's average gaming power @ 89 here and the 3070 Ti FE @ 300 here. In Igor'slab's review of the 3070 Ti FE, it peaked around 400.

If the PSU is decent and capable of handling the spikes, I think it'll be fine if you went for something like MSI's A850G PCIE5.

With an upgrade to a 14900K (and presumably a new GPU too), I think it would be prudent to have more headroom and go for 1000 or 1200.

I'm also using the system for Pro Tools but given it's preformance I probably won't have more load than the most demanding game.

4 minutes ago, Melodist said:

I'm also using the system for Pro Tools but given it's preformance I probably won't have more load than the most demanding game.

Ahh. For professional work where you might be using them both together, I'd just go straight to 1000 or 1200, maybe something like Thermaltake's PF3 1050, or MSI's Ai1300P, depending on price (of PSU & electricity) in your region.

12 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Even under heavy load I wouldn't expect that combo to be any issue on a 850w psu of good quality. That being said if you want to upgrade to top of the line hardware down the line more so on the gpu side I would probably just go with a 1000w as that is what I would get if you were planning on running a 4090. 

3 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Ahh. For professional work where you might be using them both together, I'd just go straight to 1000 or 1200, maybe something like Thermaltake's PF3 1050, or MSI's Ai1300P, depending on price (of PSU & electricity) in your region.

What about the Corsair RM1000e vs RM1000x?

12 hours ago, Melodist said:

What about the Corsair RM1000e vs RM1000x?

I'm not an expert on Corsair PSUs, but as mentioned above the main difference is a 7 year versus 10 year warranty.

RM1000e uses a rifle bearing fan, whereas RM1000x has a mag lev fan.

RM1000e uses some not Japanese capacitors (e.g. Teapo), whereas the RM1000x has Rubycon and NCC capacitors.

RM1000e is ATX 3.0/PCIE5 branded and comes with PCIE 12/16 pin cable, the RM1000x is not and does not.

I don't know enough to comment on the other components.

The above only applies to the RM1000e (2023) and the original RM1000x, not the SHIFT.

So far, for me it's between the be quiet! Pure Power 12 M, DeepCool PX-G, Corsair RM1000e and RMx SHIFT Series RM1000x.

What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, Melodist said:

What do you guys think?

From what I've seen, I think the be quiet! PSU is somewhat equivalent to the RMe, except for the longer warranty (decent rifle bearing, some non-Japanese capacitors like Teapo), but the GF3 and SHIFT are on a higher level (FDB fans, 100% Japanese capacitors). THG and TPU have a review of the GF3 and it did pretty well. I know nothing about the DeepCool and have never seen a professional review of the SHIFT.

2 hours ago, Melodist said:

So far, for me it's between the be quiet! Pure Power 12 M, DeepCool PX-G, Corsair RM1000e and RMx SHIFT Series RM1000x.

What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, Melodist said:

Also the Thermaltake ToughPower GF3?

The Deepcool would be my choice https://hwbusters.com/psus/deepcool-px1000g-psu-review/10/ The Shift comes close but the modular board is, in my opinion, a disadvantage. 

16 minutes ago, Tetras said:

have never seen a professional review of the SHIFT

https://hwbusters.com/psus/corsair-rm1000x-shift-psu-review-they-shifted-the-modular-panel/

3 hours ago, --SID-- said:

The Deepcool would be my choice https://hwbusters.com/psus/deepcool-px1000g-psu-review/10/ The Shift comes close but the modular board is, in my opinion, a disadvantage. 

(From the review)

The PX1000G has the same price as the Thermaltake GF3 1000W, with both units sharing the same platform and being covered by the same ten-year warranty period. With ten dollars less, you can get the Montech Titan Gold 1000W, which also uses the CWT CSZ platform, is slightly less noisy than the PX1000G, and is supported by a ten-year warranty. If you want something that won’t hurt your ears, the Corsair RM1000x Shift is among the good choices in this category.

Interesting, didn't know that.

48 minutes ago, Tetras said:

(From the review)

Interesting, didn't know that.

I think I'll go either for the Corsair RMx Shift or the Be Quiet Pure Power, don't know yet.

Do you think I should go 1000 or 850 Watts? 

34 minutes ago, Melodist said:

I think I'll go either for the Corsair RMx Shift or the Be Quiet Pure Power, don't know yet.

Do you think I should go 1000 or 850 Watts? 

If:

1. Your usage is going to lead you to use both together, regularly, for long periods of load.
  2. You plan an upgrade to a 14900 and suitably higher-end GPU.

Then, I'd just get the 1000 or higher. The price difference is not that much between them (and relative to the cost of a whole build, trivial), but for you, the additional headroom could be invaluable.

On 9/19/2023 at 7:17 PM, Tetras said:

From what I've seen, I think the be quiet! PSU is somewhat equivalent to the RMe, except for the longer warranty (decent rifle bearing, some non-Japanese capacitors like Teapo), but the GF3 and SHIFT are on a higher level (FDB fans, 100% Japanese capacitors). THG and TPU have a review of the GF3 and it did pretty well. I know nothing about the DeepCool and have never seen a professional review of the SHIFT.

So the GF3 would also be an option? I've already read 2 reviews of it where it blew people's PC.

Dunno about going for the 1000 watts over 850 when chosing the 13700k? I'm back to thinking how it was when people overshot PSUs up to 1200 watts for a 9900KS.

Funny enough, my 9900KS pulls 200 watts I've just checked running at 5 GHz Auto, forgot that, on a G2.

1 minute ago, Melodist said:

So the GF3 would also be an option? I've already read 2 reviews of it where it blew people's PC.

Idk, when I read user reviews, almost all PSUs have supposedly blown someone's PC at some point, but it is hard to deny Corsair PSUs are generally reliable considering how highly popular they are.

2 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Dunno about going for the 1000 watts over 850 when chosing the 13700k? I'm back to thinking how it was when people overshot PSUs up to 1200 watts for a 9900KS.

Funny enough, my 9900KS pulls 200 watts I've just checked running at 5 GHz Auto, forgot that, on a G2.

If you were just a gamer it would be fine, I'm sure, but as I said above, if you're doing professional work and planning a big upgrade to a 14900/4090 in the future, then the cost is trivial (like what, $30-$50?) and the headroom could save you having to buy another one. Not to mention that, the harder you're working it, the noisier and hotter it'll be. Will you ever use it to capacity? Probably not, but that's not the only reason for buying it.

46 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Idk, when I read user reviews, almost all PSUs have supposedly blown someone's PC at some point, but it is hard to deny Corsair PSUs are generally reliable considering how highly popular they are.

If you were just a gamer it would be fine, I'm sure, but as I said above, if you're doing professional work and planning a big upgrade to a 14900/4090 in the future, then the cost is trivial (like what, $30-$50?) and the headroom could save you having to buy another one. Not to mention that, the harder you're working it, the noisier and hotter it'll be. Will you ever use it to capacity? Probably not, but that's not the only reason for buying it.

Yeah I'll go for the shifted one, thanks for reassuring me ❤️ Wish they had a regular version though at the back with ATX 3.0.... 😵‍💫

I hope the sideways thing won't lead me to bend down the cable ends in order to close the case's door...

Wait a second, the RMx doesn't have the ATX 3.0 port and just cables as you would get them with the GPU? So it's not really an ATX 3.0 PSU and just the rails simply meet the power specs? 😵‍💫

Screenshot_20230921_042647_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230921_042709_Chrome.jpg

Wait a second have they changed that for safety?

After doing some research, given the performance boost of the 14700k, I don't think I will go for the 14900k and rather the 14700k which will be enough performance, would that make an 850 more feasible or should I stick with the 1000?

How reliable is actually outervision.com

10 hours ago, Melodist said:

Wait a second, the RMx doesn't have the ATX 3.0 port and just cables as you would get them with the GPU? So it's not really an ATX 3.0 PSU and just the rails simply meet the power specs? 😵‍💫

Wait a second have they changed that for safety?

Are you referring to the RMx SHIFT or the original RMx? The original RMx is not ATX 3.0 certified and is not PCIE5 out of the box (though you can buy the cable separately).

The RMx SHIFT is ATX 3.0 certified and does come with the 12/16 pin cable.

Does it matter if the PSU doesn't have a dedicated outlet? I would say no, since I'd assume Corsair know what they're doing at this point.

From what I can recall, Corsair have said that their outlets were designed to cope if someone daisy chained their 8 pins, so I'm pretty comfortable when using two of them.

9 hours ago, Melodist said:

How reliable is actually outervision.com

I don't use it, so I can't help you there. It is simple enough to check the average power figures in the reviews, I usually use TPU or computerbase.de.

9 hours ago, Melodist said:

After doing some research, given the performance boost of the 14700k, I don't think I will go for the 14900k and rather the 14700k which will be enough performance, would that make an 850 more feasible or should I stick with the 1000?

I'd still say the same thing, get the headroom. The cost is trivial relative to the whole build. Your usage isn't the kind that I'd advocate trimming the PSU.

If you need to save some money because you're overspending there's a few places you could cut it down for similar performance (at the cost of overclocking), e.g.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kXc4dH

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700F 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($346.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($31.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: (unchanged) Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: (unchanged) Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: (unchanged) Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $848.84

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-21 08:50 EDT-0400

On 9/21/2023 at 2:56 PM, Tetras said:

Are you referring to the RMx SHIFT or the original RMx? The original RMx is not ATX 3.0 certified and is not PCIE5 out of the box (though you can buy the cable separately).

The RMx SHIFT is ATX 3.0 certified and does come with the 12/16 pin cable.

Does it matter if the PSU doesn't have a dedicated outlet? I would say no, since I'd assume Corsair know what they're doing at this point.

From what I can recall, Corsair have said that their outlets were designed to cope if someone daisy chained their 8 pins, so I'm pretty comfortable when using two of them.

I don't use it, so I can't help you there. It is simple enough to check the average power figures in the reviews, I usually use TPU or computerbase.de.

I'd still say the same thing, get the headroom. The cost is trivial relative to the whole build. Your usage isn't the kind that I'd advocate trimming the PSU.

If you need to save some money because you're overspending there's a few places you could cut it down for similar performance (at the cost of overclocking), e.g.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kXc4dH

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700F 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($346.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($31.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: (unchanged) Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: (unchanged) Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: (unchanged) Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $848.84

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-21 08:50 EDT-0400

I've seen the review of the F / Non-K versions and they unfortunately draw a lot more power than the K somehow and get hotter.

Is the Lian Li 216 Solid?

So I guess there's nothing against going with the Be Quiet 12 M?