Just built a new pc, and the internet just doesn't work.

mark_anthony
Go to solution Solved by atarione,
1 hour ago, mark_anthony said:

Ok ive checked for duplicate IP addresses and there are none.
ipconfig all didnt work (returns an error incomplete commandline) but doing ipconfig /renew shows the following response.image.png.7facac7d1e80032de50c0570a7b8d20f.png

I have noticed though that on my routers management page, I can see that my computer is the only one on the network using the 5G band instead of the 2.4G band so maybe thats the issue? I dont know how to change through which band I am connecting from (using virgin media) so if someone could explain that aswell that would be great.
edit:
i realised i forgot to do ipconfig/release before but I did that and I got the same result
also its definitely not the bands because I restarted the router and now Im connected to the 2.4G band and its still broken....

I apologize i should have listed "ipconfig /all" as the command line instructions.   Well it is getting an IP on the Wi-Fi adapter... so that is "good" I guess

If I was you the very 1st thing I might try is to temporarily disable the windows firewall / any other firewall programs you have running on this pc?   See if the firewall is blocking the connection due to a configuration issue? 

THEN::

A couple other command line actions to consider:: Disconnect wired Ethernet and then.

1. Ping gateway  (see if you get something like this or if comes back with "Destination host unreachable"

image.png.814f3fa5341f42f163b747978f5fe97a.png

Assuming you've gotten reply on the pinging of router (the host unreachable stuff is me intentionally pinging a address that doesn't exist on my LAN)

Now type into command line ::  nslookup and then you will see something like this:

image.png.ce7b4db4af4ed70e9eb221550133da02.pngW

You can then type in basically any website you are sure actually exists such as this example: (bottom of CMD you can see me entering "wired.com" and getting back a response from the DNS server.   (if this fails then something is wrong with your DNS settings / firewall settings)

image.png.fc02d4f37687bf9918ce055c827dd521.png

You can exit the nslookup nslookup by typing "exit" or by pressing ctrl+c   then you can move on the to next item.

Assuming the nslookup command has also worked you can attempt to ping and external IP (that respods to ping requests)  in this case I will ping google's public DNS server 8.8.8.8 as below

image.thumb.png.d0cb5f03a5dec00324ca920ff634d7dd.png

Maybe give this stuff a try and let us know what the results (with only the 5G Wi-Fi connected) are?

If you wanna try to connecting to the 2.4G to see if it works when on 2.4G you should be easily able to do so by either start>search : Wi-Fi settings  > show available networks then select the 2.4G one and enter password (as required?)     || alternately you can left click the network icon in taskbar notification area and select the 2.4G network from the wireless section top left.

Just built a new pc, and the internet just doesn't work.

I built the pc yesterday and it worked great downstairs where I built it, used the good connection to install a few games and test it but the moment I moved it upstairs the problems started. Internet works for about a minute before completely disconnecting from all networks for a few minutes, before the constant clicking of connect finally works and it to connects for another minute before dying again (it says "not Internet, secured". I have moved it back to where I built it and it doesn't work. I'm using a tplink pcie WiFi adapter, so I replaced it and that didn't work, I changed pcie slots and that didn't work, I did a network reset with windows and that didn't work, I changed dns servers and that didn't work, I've tried an ethernet cable and it just says no Internet. I'm not blacklisted on my router so I'm just completely lost.

have you downloaded drivers again from motherboard manufacturer's website?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

checked whether there is an IP address conflict? Like two devices using the same IP address on the network? Can happen even with DHCP, if one was in standby without WiFi/network on but stored the config and the router gave out the IP address again.

18 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

have you downloaded drivers again from motherboard manufacturer's website?

Just tried this, ethernet works but the WiFi is still broken. Annoyingly ethernet isn't a long term solution because I can run a cable to my room

14 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

checked whether there is an IP address conflict? Like two devices using the same IP address on the network? Can happen even with DHCP, if one was in standby without WiFi/network on but stored the config and the router gave out the IP address again.

How do I check this

check your routers manual... but you should be able to log into the router and look at the active clients  look for IP address duplication .. make sure you don't have any devices set with static IP address inside the DHCP address range...

On the new PC open a admin command prompt and type "ipconfig all" (with WI-FI on and set to connect) see if it is picking up a local IP address if you want post results of the command (obscure mac address (physical address).    (also you can try ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew and see if it picks up a local ip correctly on the Wireless connection.

double check wifi and DHCP Settings on router and DNS settings on router

here is an example of the client list on my TP Link router.  devices with 192.168.0.2XX are static IP outside of the scope of the DHCP address range.

image.thumb.png.b78eaac633477ddf71dfe1f992e93a52.png

51 minutes ago, mark_anthony said:

Just tried this, ethernet works but the WiFi is still broken. Annoyingly ethernet isn't a long term solution because I can run a cable to my room

Did you install your wifi drivers?

18 hours ago, atarione said:

check your routers manual... but you should be able to log into the router and look at the active clients  look for IP address duplication .. make sure you don't have any devices set with static IP address inside the DHCP address range...

On the new PC open a admin command prompt and type "ipconfig all" (with WI-FI on and set to connect) see if it is picking up a local IP address if you want post results of the command (obscure mac address (physical address).    (also you can try ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew and see if it picks up a local ip correctly on the Wireless connection.

double check wifi and DHCP Settings on router and DNS settings on router

here is an example of the client list on my TP Link router.  devices with 192.168.0.2XX are static IP outside of the scope of the DHCP address range.

image.thumb.png.b78eaac633477ddf71dfe1f992e93a52.png

ipconfig all didnt work (returns an error incomplete commandline) but doing ipconfig /renew shows the following response.image.png.7facac7d1e80032de50c0570a7b8d20f.png

I have noticed though that on my routers management page, I can see that my computer is the only one on the network using the 5G band instead of the 2.4G band so maybe thats the issue? I dont know how to change through which band I am connecting from (using virgin media) so if someone could explain that aswell that would be great.
edit:
i realised i forgot to do ipconfig/release before but I did that and I got the same result
also its definitely not the bands because I restarted the router and now Im connected to the 2.4G band and its still broken....

Edited by mark_anthony

1 hour ago, mark_anthony said:

edit:

I apologize i should have listed "ipconfig /all" as the command line instructions.   Well it is getting an IP on the Wi-Fi adapter... so that is "good" I guess

If I was you the very 1st thing I might try is to temporarily disable the windows firewall / any other firewall programs you have running on this pc?   See if the firewall is blocking the connection due to a configuration issue? 

THEN::

A couple other command line actions to consider:: Disconnect wired Ethernet and then.

1. Ping gateway  (see if you get something like this or if comes back with "Destination host unreachable"

image.png.814f3fa5341f42f163b747978f5fe97a.png

Assuming you've gotten reply on the pinging of router (the host unreachable stuff is me intentionally pinging a address that doesn't exist on my LAN)

Now type into command line ::  nslookup and then you will see something like this:

image.png.ce7b4db4af4ed70e9eb221550133da02.pngW

You can then type in basically any website you are sure actually exists such as this example: (bottom of CMD you can see me entering "wired.com" and getting back a response from the DNS server.   (if this fails then something is wrong with your DNS settings / firewall settings)

image.png.fc02d4f37687bf9918ce055c827dd521.png

You can exit the nslookup nslookup by typing "exit" or by pressing ctrl+c   then you can move on the to next item.

Assuming the nslookup command has also worked you can attempt to ping and external IP (that respods to ping requests)  in this case I will ping google's public DNS server 8.8.8.8 as below

image.thumb.png.d0cb5f03a5dec00324ca920ff634d7dd.png

Maybe give this stuff a try and let us know what the results (with only the 5G Wi-Fi connected) are?

If you wanna try to connecting to the 2.4G to see if it works when on 2.4G you should be easily able to do so by either start>search : Wi-Fi settings  > show available networks then select the 2.4G one and enter password (as required?)     || alternately you can left click the network icon in taskbar notification area and select the 2.4G network from the wireless section top left.