Can My PC Interfere With My Wi-Fi?

okkee
Go to solution Solved by Spakes,

Yeah, it's just bad. Even your laptop has better Wi-Fi adapter (probably with 2 antennas). You need something like AX210, that will be way better. 2 antennas, MU-MIMO, Wi-Fi 6E... The good stuff.

Right off the bat, i know next to nothing about networking. So, i have a PC and its kinda far from the router. Like, it's in my room and the router's in the living room. Currently, my network solution is usb tethering using an old tablet or my phone. This has actually been working pretty good for a couple of months now. The only downside is that Windows recognises it as a new network on restart so the network count has reached the hundreds. USB tethering is kinda silly and was more of a temporary solution anyways so i want to get a network card, preferably with bluetooth. I borrowed one from the other PC here and i've noticed that the performance isn't good. My laptop, in the same room, gets the actual performance tho and the usb tethering was working ok too. So is it a thing of the card is just bad or old or is there something obstructing it?

PC:

- i5-4590

- Biostar B85

-8GB RAM

-5600XT

Network Card: D-Link N150 (this one - https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-Desktop-Network-DWA-525/dp/B003SOWWTW)

Yeah, it's just bad. Even your laptop has better Wi-Fi adapter (probably with 2 antennas). You need something like AX210, that will be way better. 2 antennas, MU-MIMO, Wi-Fi 6E... The good stuff.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

11 minutes ago, Spakes said:

ok. thanks.

3 hours ago, okkee said:

ok. thanks.

Further to that, a card that comes with an antenna you can put on top of the PC (or buy an after-market antenna) rather than screwed straight onto the back can be beneficial if your router is not behind the PC.  Even then it can help as furniture in other rooms might block the signal so the higher up the antenna is, the better the chance of not being as obstructed.

This is even more important if you use Bluetooth as antennas on the back can end up with the PC blocking the signal almost entirely.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Further to that, a card that comes with an antenna you can put on top of the PC (or buy an after-market antenna) rather than screwed straight onto the back can be beneficial if your router is not behind the PC.  Even then it can help as furniture in other rooms might block the signal so the higher up the antenna is, the better the chance of not being as obstructed.

This is even more important if you use Bluetooth as antennas on the back can end up with the PC blocking the signal almost entirely.

ok. thanks!!!!