wifi repeater or better solutions? (looking for recommendations)

SinTonNiSon

Hello guys so I have wifi problems...

As you can see by the picture, the router is in an awful position in relation to my bed and is not ideal for the PC.

Due to landlord reasons, the router must remain in the laundry room.

I barely get any Wi-Fi signal in my bedroom and I would absolutely love to have my PC linked via cable even though wifi works fine, but to me, it is a plus, it gives me peace of mind.

As there are plugs very close to the router, PC, and bed, I was thinking of getting one of those devices that sends the internet through the electricity wires to get a cable linked to the PC and an antenna in the bedroom.

I am not very savvy when it comes to the internet of things so I would like either a plug-and-play or very straightforward devices/solution to set up.

I have no idea which devices to get and I don't really want to get something that is not good enough and have to buy another one.

Looking for recommendations of devices you guy trust and that are available in Amazon Netherlands, Germany, or Belgium

You guys have been very helpful so far, so I would like to thank you in advance for your time, you guys really rock!

home.png

I will suggest to use wired repeater mode via ethernet mode. It gives better stability and the second router will work as an access point and will have different SSID (Wifi name and password). 
Now the question is if the landlord will allow you to have a repeater installed in your room.
Basically how this works is you run a cable from your main router to your second router and setup your second router as access point. TP Link has an auto setup mode for easier setup of the modes.

This is how I have setup my second router which is connected to my ISP Router.
image.png.001981d7512ba76136db4ca64d1f5a67.png

• AMD Ryzen 7 5700X Stock
  • B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev1.2
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600Mhz 32gb (8gb x4)
  • MSI Mech 2X RX6600
  • Deepcool AK620 WH
  • Deepcool CK500 WH
  • Kingston A2000 250gb + WD Blue 1tb HDD, Sn550 1tb + MX500 1000gb
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G
  • Benq Mobiuz EX2510 144Hz

17 minutes ago, Techreprise said:

I will suggest to use wired repeater mode via ethernet mode. It gives better stability and the second router will work as an access point and will have different SSID (Wifi name and password). 
Now the question is if the landlord will allow you to have a repeater installed in your room.
Basically how this works is you run a cable from your main router to your second router and setup your second router as access point. TP Link has an auto setup mode for easier setup of the modes.

This is how I have setup my second router which is connected to my ISP Router.
image.png.001981d7512ba76136db4ca64d1f5a67.png

Thanks for the idea but doesn't look easy to do and I also don't want wires through the floors of my house, do you know any good solutions that sends the internet through the electricity cables?

33 minutes ago, SinTonNiSon said:

sends the internet through the electricity wires to get a cable linked to the PC and an antenna in the bedroom.

Powerline adapters are very hit or miss on if they will even work. Generally they work best when both outlets are on the same circuit. While they can work when outlets are on different circuits if the outlets are on different phases it can be very challenging. 

Really the only way to know if these adapters will work is to try them. Just be aware of some of the BS marketing they sometimes use. You might see adapters advertise 500 Mbps, but thats only between the adapters. Many times the Ethernet ports only are rated for 100 Mbps. Though it's a good possibility that you may not get more than that anyway. So really look at the specs of these adapters. OH and another thing, if you have high draw appliances on the circuit(s) that these adapters are on it can cause huge amounts of interference and might make it so they dont work at all. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Powerline adapters are very hit or miss on if they will even work. Generally they work best when both outlets are on the same circuit. While they can work when outlets are on different circuits if the outlets are on different phases it can be very challenging. 

Really the only way to know if these adapters will work is to try them. Just be aware of some of the BS marketing they sometimes use. You might see adapters advertise 500 Mbps, but thats only between the adapters. Many times the Ethernet ports only are rated for 100 Mbps. Though it's a good possibility that you may not get more than that anyway. So really look at the specs of these adapters. OH and another thing, if you have high draw appliances on the circuit(s) that these adapters are on it can cause huge amounts of interference and might make it so they dont work at all. 

That was extremely handy, thanks a lot man.

I just checked my fuse box, there are rows lines of breakers, and one of them has all the sockets together with the kitchen and the oven, an oven that I never use and a stove that I only use while not on the PC, so it seems that I am covered in that regard (hopefully)

Do you have any idea of a reputable brand for powerline adapters?

3 minutes ago, SinTonNiSon said:

Do you have any idea of a reputable brand for powerline adapters?

Not really. BUT when I search on Amazon TP Link and Netgear both pop up. I know those brands I have used TP Link stuff in the past and it has worked well. I have a Netgear Cable modem so Id go with one of these brands. My advice is go with a brand that you know. Also check out the reviews. Also make sure where ever you buy them has a good return policy, because like I said, they may or may not work. 

32 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Not really. BUT when I search on Amazon TP Link and Netgear both pop up. I know those brands I have used TP Link stuff in the past and it has worked well. I have a Netgear Cable modem so Id go with one of these brands. My advice is go with a brand that you know. Also check out the reviews. Also make sure where ever you buy them has a good return policy, because like I said, they may or may not work. 

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it.

It is probably a dumb question, but I have never had to return anything from Amazon. I know they have a 30 days return policy if it is shipped from them, but how do I check in case I have to buy from other vendors?

Just now, SinTonNiSon said:

but how do I check in case I have to buy from other vendors?

You will have to verify it with the seller. Most stores in the US have it listed on their websites or you can ask in store if they have a physical location. 3rd party sellers on Amazon should also have something listed. When in doubt email the seller to verify. 

7 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Running cables and taping them to walls, floors, is an ugly, but functional solution. 

Not possible, but thanks

1 minute ago, SinTonNiSon said:

Not possible, but thanks

You drew a map.  You can run a cable from the router to the PC.  The cable can go out the door, or through the wall (yes you can fix it later and no one will know) and across the hall to the PC, you can tape the cable down so no one trips.

Same thing with the bedroom, just run the cable out into the hall, then towards the bedroom next to the wall, taping it again to the floor or wall.

Possible, yes, most likely based on the the layout provided you can do it.

@SinTonNiSon

While I have had absolutely horrendous experiences with Powerline, it is an option as long as you don't expect it to perform as good as ethernet or WiFi.

Here are some options with reviews. Wasn't really expecting Asus to have a ZenWiFi system for this!

2 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

You drew a map.  You can run a cable from the router to the PC.  The cable can go out the door, or through the wall (yes you can fix it later and no one will know) and across the hall to the PC, you can tape the cable down so no one trips.

Same thing with the bedroom, just run the cable out into the hall, then towards the bedroom next to the wall, taping it again to the floor or wall.

Possible, yes, most likely based on the the layout provided you can do it.

I wouldn't be able to close my doors and I can't drill holes or I would breach my contract 

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

@SinTonNiSon

While I have had absolutely horrendous experiences with Powerline, it is an option as long as you don't expect it to perform as good as ethernet or WiFi.

Here are some options with reviews. Wasn't really expecting Asus to have a ZenWiFi system for this!

Thanks a lot man , I really appreciate that you are sticking to the topic 🙂

1 hour ago, SinTonNiSon said:

I wouldn't be able to close my doors and I can't drill holes or I would breach my contract 

Not even flat cables?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

20 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not even flat cables?

Do you have cable stonks or something?

15 minutes ago, SinTonNiSon said:

Do you have cable stonks or something?

The point is cables are the ONLY reliable way, everything else is a compromise.  So if there is any slim chance you can make it work, you should.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7