I need temps advice/recommendations

Cyan1de

Hello!

Build List:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gkr6RK

I am looking for help & suggestions on my temps for my cpu & gpu in my current config.

Just got my new pc setup and all drivers & firmware updated. 
Absolutely shredding performance on this and I love it.

Only adjustments to BIOS:

XMP Profile [enabled]

Re-bar [enabled]

TEMPS:

Under average gaming load-

CPU 64-70°

GPU 77-82°

This is with a push pull front mounted radiator setup.

3 pushing Lian li 120mm UNI V2’s

2 pulling Lian li 140mm UNI V2’s

3 exhaust Lian li 120mm UNI V2’s

I have the 120mm’s setup to HIGH fans speed curve profile

140mm are constant full speed to try an match the idle speed of the 120’s

Are my temps on up to par?

or could they be better?

Thanks!

IMG_3266.jpeg

71601203910__F9C99CA0-F529-47C0-9CB0-856FCA52113C.jpeg

Idle temps should be around 25°C with a room temp of 21-22°C and temps under moderate load should be around 30-40°C and when gaming 50-65°C. Otherwise I would worry. 

Looks good, only thing that could maybe be improved, albeit only a minor improvement, though im not too sure as ive never vertically mounted a gpu. But mounting it on the, looking from the front of the case, leftmost slots, as that creates more space for air to be moved and ejected from all sides of the GPU and be swept up by the airflow of the case, though this might only be a negligible amount of temp drop. But those temps as is are perfectly fine!

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

3 hours ago, Spindel said:

Idle temps should be around 25°C with a room temp of 21-22°C and temps under moderate load should be around 30-40°C and when gaming 50-65°C. Otherwise I would worry. 

Uh, no. With room temp like that, idle or low load is closer to 30-35C. Its impossible to get almost at room temp with off the shelf cooling gear. Moderate load also +10-15C to your numbers. Gaming numbers are pretty much that. And this applies to both CPU and GPU.

@Cyan1de, your GPU temps are maybe something to look at. At the moment only cool air coming to case is through rad. So its actually not coo at all, just warmed/heated by CPU getting cooled. You could add another fan below that rad to give GPU more fresh air to work with. Also, tweaking fan curves to higher speeds would help, but with downside of making more noise when you might not want or need it. Overall temps are fine still.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Uh, no. With room temp like that, idle or low load is closer to 30-35C. Its impossible to get almost at room temp with off the shelf cooling gear. Moderate load also +10-15C to your numbers. Gaming numbers are pretty much that. And this applies to both CPU and GPU.

@Cyan1de, your GPU temps are maybe something to look at. At the moment only cool air coming to case is through rad. So its actually not coo at all, just warmed/heated by CPU getting cooled. You could add another fan below that rad to give GPU more fresh air to work with. Also, tweaking fan curves to higher speeds would help, but with downside of making more noise when you might not want or need it. Overall temps are fine still.

Yet those are the temps I get. 

On a M1 mini 😜

6 hours ago, Spindel said:

Yet those are the temps I get. 

On a M1 mini 😜

15 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Uh, no. With room temp like that, idle or low load is closer to 30-35C. Its impossible to get almost at room temp with off the shelf cooling gear.

Amd: hotter at idle = 10-20c over room temp not uncommon 

intel: easy 2-5c over Room temp = idle temp

21 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Looks good, only thing that could maybe be improved, albeit only a minor improvement, though im not too sure as ive never vertically mounted a gpu. But mounting it on the, looking from the front of the case, leftmost slots, as that creates more space for air to be moved and ejected from all sides of the GPU and be swept up by the airflow of the case, though this might only be a negligible amount of temp drop. But those temps as is are perfectly fine!

The 5000D/X doesn't have proper clearance for a vertically mounted GC. The card may not be able to cool itself well enough. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

17 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

@Cyan1de, your GPU temps are maybe something to look at. At the moment only cool air coming to case is through rad. So its actually not coo at all, just warmed/heated by CPU getting cooled.

I've seen indications that an AIO front-mounted on intake is preferable to the alternatives...

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

10 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The 5000D/X doesn't have proper clearance for a vertically mounted GC. The card may not be able to cool itself well enough. 

Is the GPU not already vertically mounted in reference images?

System specs:

1 minute ago, TatamiMatt said:

Is the GPU not already vertically mounted in reference images?

Show me what you are talking about. Yes, the case supports it. I have the X and I liked the idea of a vertical mount but the gap between the GC and the panel was not big enough. Now, if your side panel is mesh, that would be fine. 

8 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Show me what you are talking about. Yes, the case supports it. I have the X and I liked the idea of a vertical mount but the gap between the GC and the panel was not big enough. Now, if your side panel is mesh, that would be fine. 

The reference images OP has attached in this post? to add, theres 1 single space on the vertical mounts to move the GPU over by 1 and it looks like it has plenty of clearance with the case. Now, I could be wrong in regards to the ability to move it over and it may restrict airflow in on top of that but it is vertically mounted no?

System specs:

2 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

The reference images OP has attached in this post? to add, theres 1 single space on the vertical mounts to move the GPU over by 1 and it looks like it has plenty of clearance with the case. Now, I could be wrong in regards to the ability to move it over and it may restrict airflow in on top of that but it is vertically mounted no?

Oh, I see what you mean. That isn't using the case's vertical mount ports, which you can see in front (gray ports) on the back side. What the photo shows is no problem. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice. 

4 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Oh, I see what you mean. That isn't using the case's vertical mount ports, which you can see in front (gray ports) on the back side. What the photo shows is no problem. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice. 

Ah, inversely i didnt even notice the case had mounts in the vertical orientation, pretty cool!

System specs:

53 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I've seen indications that an AIO front-mounted on intake is preferable to the alternatives...

For CPUs, yes. But it doesn't really help with GPU cooling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i would put some new good thermal paste on that GPU, could help as much as 5-10c 

noctua h1 or h2 or the grizzly bear 🙂 

4 hours ago, NorKris said:

Amd: hotter at idle = 10-20c over room temp not uncommon 

intel: easy 2-5c over Room temp = idle temp

Intel has gone down a bit when I last looked at "idle" temps. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

For CPUs, yes. But it doesn't really help with GPU cooling.

I haven't looked into that since AIOs are for the CPU. Do you know of any research on the GPU issue?

9 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Intel has gone down a bit when I last looked at "idle" temps. 

its been like that for 10 years

but he has the best cooling setup money can buy (and not build)

7 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I haven't looked into that since AIOs are for the CPU. Do you know of any research on the GPU issue?

There isn't any issue. Its physics. Cool/room temp air comes in through radiator which is used to cool hot water coming from CPU block. The air going our from that radiator isn't cooler than what it was going in. So its hotter than what it would be if there was no radiator there. Its not issue in sense that it doesn't cause overheating etc. But it will mean that GPU temps are hotter than what they might be with AIO top exhaust for example. 

Its been couple of years since some bigger outlet did tests on this. Might have been GN. Then CPUs were running hot (still might be) and GPUs weren't really issue. So having additional CPU cooling by having rad as intake instead of exhaust was preferred.

6 minutes ago, NorKris said:

its been like that for 10 years

but he has the best cooling setup money can buy (and not build)

No. My last CPU was Intel from 10 years ago. Intel low-load/idle has been around 35-37C 10 years ago (Haswell) and at least couple generations beyond that. Having beefy AIO or not doesn't really affect that, not unless its running full speed all the time. AIO does have effects, but on the upper end of the scale. Considering my U14S didn't quite match with 240mm AIOs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

There isn't any issue. Its physics. Cool/room temp air comes in through radiator which is used to cool hot water coming from CPU block. The air going our from that radiator isn't cooler than what it was going in. So its hotter than what it would be if there was no radiator there. Its not issue in sense that it doesn't cause overheating etc. But it will mean that GPU temps are hotter than what they might be with AIO top exhaust for example. 

Its been couple of years since some bigger outlet did tests on this. Might have been GN. Then CPUs were running hot (still might be) and GPUs weren't really issue. So having additional CPU cooling by having rad as intake instead of exhaust was preferred.

No. My last CPU was Intel from 10 years ago. Intel low-load/idle has been around 35-37C 10 years ago (Haswell) and at least couple generations beyond that. Having beefy AIO or not doesn't really affect that, not unless its running full speed all the time. AIO does have effects, but on the upper end of the scale. Considering my U14S didn't quite match with 240mm AIOs.

depends abit on what cpu i guess  techpowerup had 4790k idle at 22c. 

and we never never never care about  idle temps anyways 😛 

2 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Ah, inversely i didnt even notice the case had mounts in the vertical orientation, pretty cool!

@RevGAM Yes, i have the Coolermaster pcie4.0 vertical mount that has adjustable movement left/right and in/out just not up/down, it's a great vertical mount with a good range of movement adjustment.

Also, I would NEVER recommend the case's vertical mount unless it's a water-cooled card. The gpu fans just sit so close to the glass panel it would have 0% efficiency 

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

i would put some new good thermal paste on that GPU, could help as much as 5-10c 

noctua h1 or h2 or the grizzly bear 🙂 

i do have a fresh tube of Noctua NT-H2 🤔

31 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I agree, before purchasing I made the decision as I use to run my CPU rad exhausting (top mount) that with this new 5800x3d having the temps shown by others it was best to front mount my rad and even do push/pull setup than having the hot (exhausting air) cool the cpu.

I may possibly look into a 360aio to match the 3 - 120mm fans in the front as i believe there is some confliction with the current setup. Mainly static pressure & fan RPM.

But, also looking at the new Noctua coolers soon to release. Possibly get a chomax variant in white if the performance will out do a 360mm AIO