Bent 2 LGA 1200 socket pins. How screwed am I?

Dropped the cpu while removing it and it bent 2 pins. I tried to push them back the best I could but they are just too small and I don’t have the right tools. Can anyone tell me if I now have a $170 paperweight?  They are the pins in the top right of the first pic. I tried to zoom in the best I could in the other pics. 

IMG_0022.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

You're not... that screwed.

Setting straight a couple of pins is feasible, while still a delicate and really, really nerve-wrecking task.

Because that pins are fragile, and a little heat  (60°C not more) might help to soften a bit the metal and reduce the case of death twisting.

Look for many videos to see some procedures. And if you don't feel to have the correct tools, the necessary concentration and precise hand control... don't try.

Look for a more expert, skilled or professional help.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

2 hours ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Dropped the cpu while removing it and it bent 2 pins. I tried to push them back the best I could but they are just too small and I don’t have the right tools. Can anyone tell me if I now have a $170 paperweight?  They are the pins in the top right of the first pic. I tried to zoom in the best I could in the other pics. 

IMG_0022.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

I'm seeing pins in the top pic, top right and mid left at the edge of the socket bent.

One of the pins has shifted to one side (Top right) and probrably because it's not fitting tight in the socket, that allowing it to move around - Could be twisted a little too from the looks of it.

In the case of the one shifting/wiggling around (Top right), not much you can do there except to shift it back in place, set the CPU in carefully and remember this pin because if swapping CPUs in the future, it may do it again.
Once you've shifted it back, just look where the tip of it should be and make sure it matches the others around it.

The other (Mid left - Bent outright) amounts to an actual pin fix and does take steady hands to do properly.
A good magnifying glass and light source goes a very long way to helping you fix it if you decide to try it. Personally I got myself a magnifying visor with a light made into it so I can see the work itself when I have to do this kind of stuff.

There are two basic things about it to acheive:
Get the tip of that pin where it should be by tip height and location Doesn't matter if the pin's tip is "Flipped" back or not, the thing is to have the pin tip itself where it should be like the rest. You can have the actual tip flipped under yet as long as part of the pin's end/tip itself is there it will still work.
You can look at these pins to readily spot which pin tips are right and which one's are "Off" from the others.

Second thing is to think for a sec - When you close the socket retainer with the lever, the retainer pushes down on the chip itself so it's being pressed into the pins to make contact with them.
That also means the pins themselves do bend/compress a little towards the bottom of the socket.

If you have a pin that's bent and crossing up with another pin when the retainer is closed, you will either have issues or a dead chip/board when you try it. 
Make sure these pins DO NOT have a chance to cross-connect, make sure all pins in the socket are laying the same way so that if you were to press on a pin to make it compress and go down towards the bottom of the socket it won't touch another pin.

If the one I'm seeing (MId left) really isn't a pin then you're lucky.
The one tip right is a really easy, "Just shove it back over" kind of fix.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

35 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I'm seeing pins in the top pic, top right and mid left at the edge of the socket bent.

One of the pins has shifted to one side (Top right) and probrably because it's not fitting tight in the socket, that allowing it to move around - Could be twisted a little too from the looks of it.

In the case of the one shifting/wiggling around (Top right), not much you can do there except to shift it back in place, set the CPU in carefully and remember this pin because if swapping CPUs in the future, it may do it again.
Once you've shifted it back, just look where the tip of it should be and make sure it matches the others around it.

The other (Mid left - Bent outright) amounts to an actual pin fix and does take steady hands to do properly.
A good magnifying glass and light source goes a very long way to helping you fix it if you decide to try it. Personally I got myself a magnifying visor with a light made into it so I can see the work itself when I have to do this kind of stuff.

There are two basic things about it to acheive:
Get the tip of that pin where it should be by tip height and location Doesn't matter if the pin's tip is "Flipped" back or not, the thing is to have the pin tip itself where it should be like the rest. You can have the actual tip flipped under yet as long as part of the pin's end/tip itself is there it will still work.
You can look at these pins to readily spot which pin tips are right and which one's are "Off" from the others.

Second thing is to think for a sec - When you close the socket retainer with the lever, the retainer pushes down on the chip itself so it's being pressed into the pins to make contact with them.
That also means the pins themselves do bend/compress a little towards the bottom of the socket.

If you have a pin that's bent and crossing up with another pin when the retainer is closed, you will either have issues or a dead chip/board when you try it. 
Make sure these pins DO NOT have a chance to cross-connect, make sure all pins in the socket are laying the same way so that if you were to press on a pin to make it compress and go down towards the bottom of the socket it won't touch another pin.

If the one I'm seeing (MId left) really isn't a pin then you're lucky.
The one tip right is a really easy, "Just shove it back over" kind of fix.

The mid left was actually a piece of fuzz in the socket. It scared me when I saw it on the photo. I blew on it and it was gone. 

1 hour ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

The mid left was actually a piece of fuzz in the socket. It scared me when I saw it on the photo. I blew on it and it was gone. 

That's good to hear, so it looks like you only have one pin to worry about - The one that looks to be an easy fix (Top right).
All you need to do then is shift the one that's out of place back into alignment/position, check it to be sure it's not really bent according to how I layed out for what would have been the second pin and test it.

Again, if it's nothing more than a pin that's gotten loose in the socket it's going to do that again if you are swapping CPU's so remember this pin for future reference. If it has a booting problem/CPU error just recheck and realign it as before, set the chip in carefully and it should work.

One thing I've found that really works for these chips/sockets is what's in a simple cellphone repair kit that has the little suction cup for screen repair work, the suction cup being the thing here.

The finger ring to it is small enough it will fit through the chip retaining mechanism's "Hole" for the chip's lid, you simply lower the chip in using the cup to do this with, close and latch the retainer and then remove the cup.
Chip removal is to place the cup on the chip's lid, release the latch and remove it with the cup.

All you have to do is test the cup with the chip to be sure the cup keeps suction on the chip's lid so it doesn't suddenly "Lose" the chip, that can be caused by scratches on the chip's lid for example, allowing air to get in and release the chip from the cup.
Smearing a light film of vaso or dielectric grease around the sealing edge of the cup to help seal it to the chip's lid works, whether installing or removing the chip and reduces the chance of air getting in the cup.
It's easily removed when done too but I'd only do it if you have to, normally you won't have alot of problems with that but also DO NOT expect it not to keep a perfect seal either. As long as it holds it's seal long enough to get the chip in or out it's fine but if not, use vaso or the grease I mentioned to help it seal.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.