How to make a proper install of windows 10, wich partitioning? (upgrading storage)

Masangue

Hello,

My HDD is currently dying so i'm gonna replace it, and at the same time i want to upgrade the os SSD wich is only 128GB and cause problemes because it's always full.

I think to replace the os SSD with a 1-2T one but i don't know how i should partition it and set it up. Wich size the C: should be, if it's possible separate the os with page file and hibernation file from every other (progams folders, users folders). Also  is it possible to make a fresh install of windows without losing all the drive ? (in case i need in futur).

The setup is :
128 G sata SSD with OS, full               -->                                                            1-2 T NVME SSD
2 T HDD 95% full, video/photos/apps/lot of games /backups      -->               4-8 T HDD
1 T NVME 90% full, AppData/Roaming folder, games needing a SSD and modded MC / Skyrim

With SSD do you mean 2.5" SATA SSD ?

You should have your OS on your fastest drive, the M.2 NVMe

When you install W10, erase all partitions and let W10 handle everything.

I can't see any use in the partitionning. While I can see benefit in the non-partitionning.

How do know your hdd is failing ?

I don't see what you mean with the not losing all...

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

6 minutes ago, leclod said:

With SSD do you mean 2.5" SATA SSD ?

You should have your OS on your fastest drive, the M.2 NVMe

When you install W10, erase all partitions and let W10 handle everything.

I can't see any use in the partitionning. While I can see benefit in the non-partitionning.

How do know your hdd is failing ?

I don't see what you mean with the not losing all...

- Yes
- It's originally a pre-built computer, the HDD and 2.5" SSD are the only remaining part. Didn't move OS to NVME because the 2.5" is fast enough, i rather use the speed for game, and it was easier to just plug it and voila.
- Having C as unique partition cause it to fill after updates, going to sleep, needing big pagefile or randomly; so some apps on it stop working and games are unable to save
- I used Crystal disk info, + hard computer crash with message "repairing HDD D:"

- i reinstalled one time windows and lose all things on C drive with it

20 minutes ago, Masangue said:

- Having C as unique partition cause it to fill after updates, going to sleep, needing big pagefile or randomly; so some apps on it stop working and games are unable to save

I don't understand. Seems to me partitions will fill up faster than the whole drive. (and I've never had a drive fill up because of updates)

- I used Crystal disk info, + hard computer crash with message "repairing HDD D:"

Crystal disk info gives a health rating, what is it ?

- i reinstalled one time windows and lose all things on C drive with it

When installing W10 you're faced with options : reinstall clean/reinstall but keep files/reinstall but keep files and programs

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

For the record, I'm cursed of bugs never seen before.

I'm sure, 100%, that i selected keep files

The drive filling is a problem only if i interact with the space used by the OS, that's why i'd like to have it separate. And Windows do create a backups each time it update, which you'r supposed to be able to remove in the storage option of settings, but don't work properly.

For the HDD, its 8 yo, status caution and hereIMG_20230715_192244.thumb.jpg.c3feb84995e82c99524ae5c17f76ae22.jpg an exemple of the dozens of crash i got

In fact, it's not that I want to partition, but it's what I think is best for these problems I've been having, and for me separating user datas from the rest feel more safe, i don't really trust windows. But if it's actually not really a problem i'll embrace simplicity of letting windows install manage itself