Experiencing Lags and freezes on computer, cant figure it why!

B4rt997

PS Spec

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Processor    AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Board Product    CROSSHAIR VI HERO
(RAM)    32.0 GB
GPU GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

So, I can't remember for how long this has been going on, but it's possibly been about a year now. It first started with mouse lags, so it wasn't bothering me that much. However, they have been happening more often and for longer periods. So, I thought I was having a mouse problem and bought a new Logitech MX Master 2S Wireless Mouse, but I still encountered the same problem. I then got software called "PC HelpSoft Driver Updater" to update all the drivers, but nothing changed.

I started to suspect that it might be a problem with the Logitech mouse or its software since I had the same issue before. I bought myself a Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed, but still, nothing changed. Then I thought maybe it has something to do with AiSuite 3 or Asus software. I began tinkering with AiSuite, trying to uninstall it and reinstall it. However, that didn't work out, and when I tried to uninstall it using the Asus Tool, my computer crashed to a blue screen. When I attempted to install ArmouryCrateInstaller from ASUS, I encountered the same blue error screen each time.

After messing around with these software issues, I'm now experiencing more frequent lags, occurring every 2-5 minutes, and my entire PC freezes for about 1-5 seconds each time. It's really frustrating!

So, does anyone has a clue or advice how to fix this? Could i use 3rd party software to scan the pc and fix the issues? Please hellp!! ;(

try to chkdsk scandisk or other hard drive utility to check the drive and storage for failed areas. seems possible you have something dying there...

have you checked cpu and repaste as needed. 

you dont say how long you have had this system build in use if your overclocking.

i can safely assume at least 3 years have you re-pasted and reseated cpu?

have you cleaned dust recently from your PSU and system as a whole every 3 to 6 months depending on your environment maybe yearly 

how are your temps? both CPU and hard drive.

the listed issues i read tell me a primary component is failing or is not getting enough power 

12 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

PS Spec

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Processor    AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Board Product    CROSSHAIR VI HERO
(RAM)    32.0 GB
GPU GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

So, I can't remember for how long this has been going on, but it's possibly been about a year now. It first started with mouse lags, so it wasn't bothering me that much. However, they have been happening more often and for longer periods. So, I thought I was having a mouse problem and bought a new Logitech MX Master 2S Wireless Mouse, but I still encountered the same problem. I then got software called "PC HelpSoft Driver Updater" to update all the drivers, but nothing changed.

I started to suspect that it might be a problem with the Logitech mouse or its software since I had the same issue before. I bought myself a Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed, but still, nothing changed. Then I thought maybe it has something to do with AiSuite 3 or Asus software. I began tinkering with AiSuite, trying to uninstall it and reinstall it. However, that didn't work out, and when I tried to uninstall it using the Asus Tool, my computer crashed to a blue screen. When I attempted to install ArmouryCrateInstaller from ASUS, I encountered the same blue error screen each time.

After messing around with these software issues, I'm now experiencing more frequent lags, occurring every 2-5 minutes, and my entire PC freezes for about 1-5 seconds each time. It's really frustrating!

So, does anyone has a clue or advice how to fix this? Could i use 3rd party software to scan the pc and fix the issues? Please hellp!! ;(

Third party software can cause more issues than going without. I would try to uninstall the ASUS software in Safe Mode and see if it still BSOD. I would honestly reinstall Windows to see if the issue goes away and download and install the drivers from the motherboard's support page manually, although Windows does a good job of finding and installing the correct drivers.

Back up any important files before reinstalling Windows. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

57 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

RAM)    32.0 GB

If using 4 sticks, remove 2 and see if it helps, if not swap 2 for 2.

The above answers could be the cause, but if you have a hard drive (mechanical) it could also cause a problem, you can check the S.M.A.R.T. status from CrystalDiskInfo https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

EDIT: I saw your mobo on google, and you could have accidentally activated the slow switch, check your CPU's GHz.

47 minutes ago, Lordmage said:

try to chkdsk scandisk or other hard drive utility to check the drive and storage for failed areas. seems possible you have something dying there...

have you checked cpu and repaste as needed. 

you dont say how long you have had this system build in use if your overclocking.

i can safely assume at least 3 years have you re-pasted and reseated cpu?

have you cleaned dust recently from your PSU and system as a whole every 3 to 6 months depending on your environment maybe yearly 

how are your temps? both CPU and hard drive.

the listed issues i read tell me a primary component is failing or is not getting enough power 

I buld this PC about 4-6 years ago and never been touched since then. 

been requrally cleaning the front case where the fans are but not much psu, its been satting on the desk but still needs a clean like you said i guess

Should I take the cpu out and reseal it again? Or would you recomment getting newer cpu to upgrade to windows 11

Will cleand the psu now but i dount its the issue 

11 minutes ago, Moonwalker53 said:

The above answers could be the cause, but if you have a hard drive (mechanical) it could also cause a problem, you can check the S.M.A.R.T. status from CrystalDiskInfo https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

EDIT: I saw your mobo on google, and you could have accidentally activated the slow switch, check your CPU's GHz.

how do I do that? 

sorry im a noob

9 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

I buld this PC about 4-6 years ago and never been touched since then. 

been requrally cleaning the front case where the fans are but not much psu, its been satting on the desk but still needs a clean like you said i guess

Should I take the cpu out and reseal it again? Or would you recomment getting newer cpu to upgrade to windows 11

Will cleand the psu now but i dount its the issue 

basically check if the paste is dry if so clean off and repaste. 

also look into what moonwalker talked about. 

7 minutes ago, Lordmage said:

basically check if the paste is dry if so clean off and repaste. 

also look into what moonwalker talked about. 

ive got 2 discks 

ssd 960 evo 250GB says Good 86% running at 47 C

Harddrive Seagate FireCuda 1TB says Good running at 30 C

regarding to CPU it looks fine 

Running at 3782 MHz at 50 C

and its really hot today so the temps are higher as usual i guess

the only other factor i can think of is have you tried a wired mouse.

Wireless signals can get interference , wire battery powered devices can have weak signals when low on battery how close is the base to the mouse. what other wireless stuff do you have. 

How full are your disks?

If your disk is over ~80% full you’ll start seeing performance degradation, especially on older drives where the spare area gets degraded over time.

36 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

how do I do that? 

sorry im a noob

open task manager (ctrl + shift + esc)

depending on your version press performance, or press the second icon on the sidebar (if you have one)

click cpu

and check the speed (it should say something like 3,6 GHz)

also check the utilization

32 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

How full are your disks?

If your disk is over ~80% full you’ll start seeing performance degradation, especially on older drives where the spare area gets degraded over time.

ssd seems like 80% its where the windows is

and the harddrive at 55%

31 minutes ago, Moonwalker53 said:

open task manager (ctrl + shift + esc)

depending on your version press performance, or press the second icon on the sidebar (if you have one)

click cpu

and check the speed (it should say something like 3,6 GHz)

also check the utilization

Its running at 3.55 GHz with utilisation of 1%

9 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

ssd seems like 80% its where the windows is

and the harddrive at 55%

It could maybe be the SSD. You’re at that point where the spare area starts to be low, especially depending on how windows is managing the page file given the size of your SSD.

Can you free up space on the disk to see if that improves performance?

Also, set the page file to a static 32GB and see what that does.

6 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

Its running at 3.55 GHz with utilisation of 1%

seems fine, maybe running a memory diagnostic?

I'll post instructions soon

Just now, Whatisthis said:

It could maybe be the SSD. You’re at that point where the spare area starts to be low, especially depending on how windows is managing the page file given the size of your SSD.

Can you free up space on the disk to see if that improves performance?

Also, set the page file to a static 32GB and see what that does.

to set the page file open file manager

right click on my computer (this pc)

click properties

click advanced system settings

on performance click settings

click advanced

on virtual memory click change...

uncheck automatically manage paging file size for all drives

select Custom size

On initial and on maximum size put 32768 

click ok

restart and hope for the best

5 minutes ago, Moonwalker53 said:

seems fine, maybe running a memory diagnostic?

I'll post instructions soon

NOTE: YOU NEED TO RESTART, AND IT WILL TAKE A WHILE

press the windows icon on your keyboard

type windows memory diagnostic

click restart now

wait for it to finish

note: it will automatically restart

then when you boot to windows it will show you the results