Samsung Renames Heathrow's Terminal 5 - "Terminal Samsung Galaxy 5"

Torand

Garlic and Herb sauce: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/16/5722962/terminal-samsung-galaxy-s5-at-heathrow

Samsung rebranding Heathrow's busiest hub to 'Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5'  

Two weeks of S5 overload for British fliers

british-airways-heathrow.0_standard_640.

Samsung's marketing juggernaut is reaching new heights today with the announcement that Heathrow's Terminal 5 will be rebranded for two weeks to promote the company's flagship Galaxy S5 Android phone. Starting on Monday, every area of the terminal will feature the "Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5" moniker, with all the signage and digital screens promoting the handset and projecting images of it. Russell Taylor, Samsung's UK marketing VP describes this as a "one-off opportunity to push the boundaries like no other brand has been allowed to do before." A Heathrow Airport spokesperson clarifies that Samsung hasn't bought the actual naming rights to the terminal, just an expansive ad campaign to be distributed within it. She says "Samsung want to call it Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5 and we are relaxed about that."

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

While Nokia and others have previously bought vast advertising spaces inside T5, no company has yet been allowed to so thoroughly saturate its signage. There will be additional directions pointing anyone interested in the S5 to the Dixons Travel store where they can try or buy the handset immediately. Samsung isn't stopping with the physical space, either, as the Terminal 5 website will also see an S5-branded homepage. In short, if you're considering a trip via one of Europe's busiest and most prominent terminals, the only way you'll avoid seeing Samsung's latest flagship phone will be with a blindfold on.

From Samsung's press release:

"The initiative includes all signage throughout the Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5 terminal – at the entrance and drop-off locations, in the lounges, at security and at the gates. In addition, all 172 digital panels in the main terminal, gate rooms and baggage reclaim areas will feature the rebrand ‘Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5’ and images of the Galaxy S5 smartphone."

This, just... wow. Words, none, I have.

I mean from a marketing perspective its genius. All the other airports having that as their destinations, tanoy announcements, tickets, online, billboards, everything.

I suppose you could compare it to renaming a stadium and also that its only 2 weeks (as it must have cost an absolute fortune).

But it just really doesn't sound the best, not very professional.

Edited by Whiskers
Fixed for dark theme users

Where do planes fly from terminal 5?

I wonder which market they are advertising for.

I mean, Heathrow are a private entity so they can do what they want, but really?! *sigh*

It's "renamed" (not even a complete rename), what does it change for us? Right, there'll be publicity of Samsung everywhere but that's fine, there are publicities everywhere anyways. :P

It's not as if they permanantly bought the name and that from now on, your plane was departing from the "Galaxy S5 Terminal".

It's "renamed" (not even a complete rename), what does it change for us? Right, there'll be publicity of Samsung everywhere but that's fine, there are publicities everywhere anyways. :P

It's not as if they permanantly bought the name and that from now on, your plane was departing from the "Galaxy S5 Terminal".

I still think its a bit ridiculous and un-professional.

Receiving a ticket/boarding pass in which your terminal is 'Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5'. 

I mean from a marketing perspective its genius. All the other airports having that as their destinations, tanoy announcements, tickets, online, billboards, everything.

I suppose you could compare it to renaming a stadium and also that its only 2 weeks (as it must have cost an absolute fortune).

But it just really doesn't sound the best.

"Zulu Bravo Juliet Bravo, commence taxi to Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5, park at gate 32."

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

They haven't actually renamed the terminal

" A Heathrow Airport spokesperson clarifies that Samsung hasn't bought the actual naming rights to the terminal, just an expansive ad campaign to be distributed within it. She says "Samsung want to call it Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5 and we are relaxed about that."

so I presume that means it will still be called terminal 5, but will just be plastered with advertising. All it would do for me is put me off Samsung, not that I was intending to buy an S5 anyway.

It goes to show just how much money Samsung makes off their phones (it's stupid... and surely they'd sell more if they reduced the price and did less marketing).

HTTP/2 203

Where do planes fly from terminal 5?

I wonder which market they are advertising for.

Terminal 5 is basically the "British Airway Terminal". So anywhere BA flies.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Not too surprising. I mean look at the names of all the stadiums and arenas across North America, all corporate sponsorship. It is unfortunate and inevitable.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Not too surprising. I mean look at the names of all the stadiums and arenas across North America, all corporate sponsorship. It is unfortunate and inevitable.

This is worse than American stadiums. Yes they are plastered with ads and are named after companies, but you don't have one brand shoved in your face the entire time you are in one. In this case, people who have to fly BA are forced to see Samsung ads.

It would be interesting if there was a terminal 8 which was "renamed" to terminal HTC one m8.

Would have been fine if they called it terminal s5, the galaxy is just stupid, hopefully they call it GS5 when refering to it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Terminal 5 is basically the "British Airway Terminal". So anywhere BA flies.

Thanks. I couldn't make the assumption that it was British Airways just based on the picture in the post. It is an airport in the UK after all.

Imagine if HTC had the marketing warchest that Samsung have. They would crush them.