Should I be worried and replace/upgrade now?

kitnoman

I had a few issues with different system before, but this is the first I'm faced with this mild dilemma? So I have two desktop. One my main and the older one, which I or my girlfriend is using as work pc. So after a few troubleshooting, I found out that one of the ram slot has an issue. As per manual, between A1,A2,B1,B2, A2 and B2 should be used first. But the A2 is the culprit. Currently I'm running the rams at A1 and B2, basically furthest left and furthest right and still running dual channel. My question is, what are the chances that this is the only issue of the motherboard?

I'm also thinking of upgrading my PC, meaning, the current one I'm using would be my work pc and this one that has an issue, would either be sold(whichever parts are working) or use as a 3rd pc in the house. Probably so that me and my girlfriend would have a separate work pc. But my plan to upgrade isn't until 2-3months from now, which is around black friday/holiday deals. Do you think this motherboard could hold until then or should I just buy another motherboard?

21 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

Do you think this motherboard could hold until then or should I just buy another motherboard?

I mean if you identified the broken DIMM slot there shouldn't be an issue

as long as you don't use the broken RAM slot you should be more than fine, should probably last even loner perhaps, depends how old the motherboard is

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

37 minutes ago, podkall said:

I mean if you identified the broken DIMM slot there shouldn't be an issue

as long as you don't use the broken RAM slot you should be more than fine, should probably last even loner perhaps, depends how old the motherboard is

Got it thanks. Normally I would just replace the mobo, but being so close to upgrading, it seems like just a waste. 

The culprit might truly be bent cpu pins instead of the slot. Or poor cpu contact.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

I agree with @leclod it may be a bent LGA pin or two. Or it could be a dead CPU memory channel (in the silicone ).

If it is working don't worry, be happy as the song says. Upgrade when the time is right for you.

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2

9 hours ago, leclod said:

The culprit might truly be bent cpu pins instead of the slot. Or poor cpu contact.

This is actually one of my guesses, as while troubleshooting, I got a few cpu/ram error. But I don't really want to check it or even touch it lol. I'll probably confirm it by the time I upgrade.