Is it possible to control the direction of a DC motor using only 2 pushbuttons?

Sant_HH

As a part of my school project, I need to control the direction of a motor using only two pushbuttons. Is this even possible? I have not been able to find anything on google

Failure is part of success. I may make mistakes, that's how we all learn.

Folding at Home

wire one switch backwards compared to the other. only one will be active at a time, so the motor will spin one way, then the other when the other switch is used. 

It's the same sort of "magic" that is like with the light switches in the hallway.  It doesn't matter whether switch one is on or off or whether switch two is on or off.  No matter what you do, either switch will torn the light on or off, no matter what the position of either switch is in.

1 hour ago, Sant_HH said:

As a part of my school project, I need to control the direction of a motor using only two pushbuttons. Is this even possible? I have not been able to find anything on google

Here you go. Notice in the star that the wires are crossed. That is the key. (Forgot to label - The bottom square is the powersource, the middle squares are the switches, the top is the motor)

Untitled.jpg

if both switches have two contacts it's easy, as shown above.

however, if they only have one contact you're gonna be making an H bridge with transistors... which, i have a hunch that this ts an electronics task, not just putting down some wires?

35 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if both switches have two contacts it's easy, as shown above.

however, if they only have one contact you're gonna be making an H bridge with transistors... which, i have a hunch that this ts an electronics task, not just putting down some wires?

The switches have only one contact. Unfortunately I am not allowed to use transistors. I only have two pushbuttons one SPDT switch and two SPDT relays to control the direction of two motors. I have already used the two relays and the SPDT switch to control the first motor. So, somehow I need to make it work with just the pushbuttons  or create an entirely different circuit to control the motors.

Folding at Home

1 minute ago, Sant_HH said:

The switches have only one contact. Unfortunately I am not allowed to use transistors. I only have two pushbuttons one SPDT switch and two SPDT relays to control the direction of two motors. I have already used the two relays and the SPDT switch to control the first motor. So, somehow I need to make it work with just the pushbuttons  or create an entirely different circuit to control the motors.

Hold up, Two motors? two relays? Give us the whole parts list, not just the leftovers.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Hold up, Two motors? two relays? Give us the whole parts list, not just the leftovers.

Thats literally the whole parts list

2 relays

3 pushbuttons

1 SPDT switch

3 motors

2 18560 batteries

The third motor just has to be on/off and so can be controlled by one push button

Edit: the number of SPDT switches has just been increased to 2

Folding at Home

Thanks for all your time, I figured it out. Two SPDT switches controlling motor 1, two relays and pushbuttons controlling motor 2, and the third motor switched on/ off by one push button

Folding at Home