New Bentley Ad filmed entirely with an iPhone 5S

Terlingua0101

Or they're lazy and cheap....

Little known fact: very high quality images don't matter nearly as much as a good director and director of photography: It's all about angles, lighting, exposure, mise en scene. That's why you can give a 4k camera to a father of 3 and his videos will look like well, a family video and you can also give horrible digital cameras to a David Lynch and he still comes up with an absurdly good looking film like Inland Empire 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Some of you are severely butt hurt

Sincerely,

An Android User

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

Little known fact: very high quality images don't matter nearly as much as a good director and director of photography: It's all about angles, lighting, exposure, mise en scene. That's why you can give a 4k camera to a father of 3 and his videos will look like well, a family video and you can also give horrible digital cameras to a David Lynch and he still comes up with an absurdly good looking film like Inland Empire 

Yea but this setup is still cheaper than a full suite of pro grade equipment....

Yea but this setup is still cheaper than a full suite of pro grade equipment....

I understand: unless there's a practical or aesthetic concern to choose a lower quality medium (i.e. the aforementioned David Lynch flick: it was much cheaper and easier to film such an ambitious film on what it was then crappy digital video so he ran with it and used it's lower quality to his advantage) it would have been much better with proper equipment of course. However I wouldn't discard my reasons right off the bat: yes it's a big company but even big companies set up budgets for marketing campaigns and sometimes if it can be done a lot cheaper with iphones they might do it. Which is good news since it means Linus Media Group could potentially land a larger client looking to save up a bit of money vs hiring a really fancy company that would come with a really higher price tag for the work, this are ads after all their objective it's only to be serviceable to sell and deliver it's message, otherwise a lot more people would hire David Lynch and cast big name actors for their adds and instead just hire Athletes or no-name actors and such to work with for the 20 seconds they need on their add.

-------

Current Rig

-------

hmmmm. It looks like it was shot with a smartphone and they used greyscale to avoid color correction then edited it with an iPad in iMovie. That must have been fun for the camera crew and editors to deal with!

Ok, so it's shot with an iPhone... Now, did they shoot it hand held or did they use their expensive tripods and robotic camera operators? If you use good equipment you can make almost any camera look good, that's why you can still watch old movies without facedesking, that reason being that the camera doesn't shake like hell as it would have if someone shot it hand held.

Edit: got to the end, yeah they are using their rigs to shoot it, though the rigs not as big as I thought they would be.

And before people call me a fanboy, yes the iPhone camera is good. I have used my friends and I was quite impressed, but I don't take enough pictures in places where I don't bring my dslr to actually care and in the places I don't have a dslr and need to take a picture almost any camera would be adequate.

"No signature"

Ok, so it's shot with an iPhone... Now, did they shoot it hand held or did they use their expensive tripods and robotic camera operators? If you use good equipment you can make almost any camera look good, that's why you can still watch old movies without facedesking, that reason being that the camera doesn't shake like hell as it would have if someone shot it hand held.

Edit: got to the end, yeah they are using their rigs to shoot it, though the rigs not as big as I thought they would be.

And before people fanboy, yes the iPhone camera is good. I have used my friends and I was quite impressed, but I don't take enough pictures in places where I don't bring my dslr to actually care and in the places I don't have a dslr and need to take a picture almost any camera would be adequate.

They also used their own lenses, which to me skews the results a little.

What I'm saying is, it's amazing that they made the camera in a smartphone look this good. But the general consumer can't do this unless they add (probably) thousands of dollars of gear upon that device. You really can't get shallow depth of field with the tiny sensors that are found in smartphones.