Should I use pigtail pcie cables?

W1ind3x
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
2 minutes ago, W1ind3x said:

Recently I came across a post saying that you shouldn't use pigtail cables, that it is bad. Not long ago I upgraded from a gtx 1650 to a rx6700xt which I plugged in using a pigtail pcie cable included with my psu (striaght power 11 650w platinum) so I started panicking. So from that moment on I've been looking for a solution and I can't seem to find any. I find posts saying that It's fine using pigtail cables and others saying that you shouldn't because something. And also I've seen posts where people say it doesn't matter what you are using. At this point I'm confused and can't find an answer. This whole thing is very unclear to me. Should I stop using that pigtail pcie cable?

Its completely fine to use pigtails / Daisychain from good quality PSU's like your Striaght power 11 馃檪 They would not give you 10-12 year warranty on a PSU if it had bad cables or the included DaisyChain cables were dangerous.
I have used daisychains on my 2080 Super ( 1 cable for 2x8pins, overclocked hard, no issues ) And I am currently daisychaning my overclocked RTX 4080.

The 'myth' about daisychaining is bad basically come from garbage PSU's from 2007.
Completely safe 馃檪聽 Nothing to worry about.

Recently I came across a post saying that you shouldn't use pigtail cables, that it is bad. Not long ago I upgraded from a gtx 1650 to a rx6700xt which I plugged in using a pigtail pcie cable included with my psu (striaght power 11 650w platinum) so I started panicking. So from that moment on I've been looking for a solution and I can't seem to find any. I find posts saying that It's fine using pigtail cables and others saying that you shouldn't because something. And also I've seen posts where people say it doesn't matter what you are using. At this point I'm confused and can't find an answer. This whole thing is very unclear to me. Should I stop using that pigtail pcie cable?

It's ok to do with low wattage graphics cards imo. Anything like a RTX 3080/3090/4080/4090, then I'd start recommending to NOT use pigtail PCIe cables.聽

CPU Cooler Tier List|| Motherboard VRMs Tier List||Motherboard Beep & POST Codes|| Graphics Card Tier List||PSU Tier List

Main System Specifications:聽

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)||聽聽HDD:聽2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 ||GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽聽Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 || 聽Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL||聽聽Monitor:ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"聽

Its completely fine to use pigtails / Daisychain from good quality PSU's like your Striaght power 11 馃檪 They would not give you 10-12 year warranty on a PSU if it had bad cables or the included DaisyChain cables were dangerous.
I have used daisychains on my 2080 Super ( 1 cable for 2x8pins, overclocked hard, no issues ) And I am currently daisychaning my overclocked RTX 4080.

The 'myth' about daisychaining is bad basically come from garbage PSU's from 2007.
Completely safe 馃檪聽 Nothing to worry about.

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

It's ok to do with low wattage graphics cards imo. Anything like a RTX 3080/3090/4080/4090, then I'd start recommending to NOT use pigtail PCIe cables.聽

Its completely fine to daisychain 3080's and 4090's if your PSU is of good quality.
Not recommended with PSU's in the C:Tier on the Tierlist of course.

Thank you for answering. In that case I'll stick with my pigtail cable.

Absolutely no problem 馃檪

10 minutes ago, W1ind3x said:

my psu (striaght power 11 650w platinum)

Your PSU isn't using pigtail cables for PCIe. Pigtail cables generally refers to where it's one cable that has a second connector that splits off after the first connector.

The connector on your PSU for the PCIe cable has 12 terminals, the cable is essentially just two separate cables that are glued together at the PSU side.

BgcVMZ9M76HM9e5MpYkpuG-970-80.jpg.webp

Image source: Tom's Hardware - be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W Platinum Power Supply Review https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-straight-power-11-650w-platinum-power-supply-review

CPU: Intel i7 6700k聽 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450