iPhone question

Sima01

Hello,

I use my iPhone 12 for almost 2 years now, same charging brick and original cable, both apple originals from Apple, so for few months sometimes i need to plug it little bit better to charge, ok, didn't think much about it. Now, it won't charge most of the time, have to pick up a new cable to try tomorrow, charging brick is fine, tested it on macbook, and used macbook charging brick. Phone seems fine, cleaned the port, looks solid, fresh as new expect a little dust on the sides but thats it, connections are visible as day. Since I never owned iPhone before, what do you think, is it the cable? Battery holds the charge, WHEN IT WANTS TO CHARGE, when it gets to charging, its works like a charm, its neither slower or faster than when it was new, battery is on 85%. 

Is it really the cable, it seems sus, IC responds correctly, I turn it off, when pluging the cable phone turns on, sometimes starts charging, sometimes not, like the cable doesn't provide enough of the current.

There are visible wear scars on one side of the ligthning contacts. If its just the cable, he gave allot those 2 years.

From my own experience, both lightning port and cable are crap as hell, USB-C give me much more comfort and piece of mind.

Whats your opinion?

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gainward RTX 3060 Ti | 2x16GB 3200MHz | Samsung 980 1TB | 1 TB WD Blue | 120GB A400 Kingston Gigabyte M2 NVME 512GB  | BeQuite Straight Power11 80+ Gold 750W

9 minutes ago, Sima01 said:

Whats your opinion?

I know some times with the cheap POS cables my sister got us off Amazon I have to fiddle with it to get my phone to charge. However the cable that came with my phone which I leave in my car so I can use Apple Carplay doesn't seem to have any issues. 

It could be an issue with the end of the cable, maybe it worse down and doesn't lock in as good as it used to. Or it could be the port is worn. Personally when I get a new iPhone I might invest in to a Magsafe Charger. While Wireless Charging might be slower, it will preserve the port on the phone. 

Personally Id be very happy when and if Apple goes to type C. This way I only have to pack maybe a few cords when I travel. 

11 minutes ago, Sima01 said:

battery is on 85%. 

I find that interesting. I have the XR and probably have had it 4 years and my battery just now got down to 85%. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

you can't know until you try another cable. I've had many cables go bad over the years, 3 since getting my iPhone 12. some acted like your describing, some just didn't work at all. my current cable works fine on my 12, but won't work on my 7. a new one works on both. can't tell you why.

14 minutes ago, Sima01 said:

battery is on 85%

my 12 mini is at 74% rip...

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I know some times with the cheap POS cables my sister got us off Amazon I have to fiddle with it to get my phone to charge. However the cable that came with my phone which I leave in my car so I can use Apple Carplay doesn't seem to have any issues. 

It could be an issue with the end of the cable, maybe it worse down and doesn't lock in as good as it used to. Or it could be the port is worn. Personally when I get a new iPhone I might invest in to a Magsafe Charger. While Wireless Charging might be slower, it will preserve the port on the phone. 

Personally Id be very happy when and if Apple goes to type C. This way I only have to pack maybe a few cords when I travel. 

I find that interesting. I have the XR and probably have had it 4 years and my battery just now got down to 85%. 

To be honest, buying a magsafe charger is much cheaper than fixing the port if it is the port. I charge it only over the night, expect if im on vacation or working from the phone while traveling.

Do I need to have some kind of special case for magsafe charger, or could i just put the naked phone on it and it will work?

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gainward RTX 3060 Ti | 2x16GB 3200MHz | Samsung 980 1TB | 1 TB WD Blue | 120GB A400 Kingston Gigabyte M2 NVME 512GB  | BeQuite Straight Power11 80+ Gold 750W

7 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

you can't know until you try another cable. I've had many cables go bad over the years, 3 since getting my iPhone 12. some acted like your describing, some just didn't work at all. my current cable works fine on my 12, but won't work on my 7. a new one works on both. can't tell you why.

my 12 mini is at 74% rip...

Yeah, will try other original cable from my friend, I just find apple products like golden trash bags, I mean its personal experience, but as I see from just time, they start to brake really easy. Official addons like cables and chargers are ali express quality, with all due respect, ali express may have better quality products for 95% off. 

Just now, Sima01 said:

Do I need to have some kind of special case for magsafe charger, or could i just put the naked phone on it and it will work?

That I can't say. Because I know they added a magnet in to the phone, I just can't recall which generation iPhone it started on. I also found that cases can interfere with WIreless Chargers, which kinda sucks because I dont like to leave my iphone naked. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

That I can't say. Because I know they added a magnet in to the phone, I just can't recall which generation iPhone it started on. I also found that cases can interfere with WIreless Chargers, which kinda sucks because I dont like to leave my iphone naked. 

image.png.110f62a455244b3eaf852a24a85c716d.png

If you have a case that attach to a magnet, it can interfere with the charging, since it also relays on magnetic fields.

WHEN YOU MENTIONED, i remembered, i charged my iphone some times through Galaxy S10 battery share since it was weekend and I couldn't buy a charging brick, ye it supports it.

Why not buy a new cable? Sometimes they die. It's a relatively cheap investment to see if it works or not. Especially if you can see wear marks.

51 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Not if, when. They're due out this year with the new iPhone. One of the few times I'm happy for mandates.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Why not buy a new cable? Sometimes they die. It's a relatively cheap investment to see if it works or not. Especially if you can see wear marks.

Not if, when. They're due out this year with the new iPhone. One of the few times I'm happy for mandates.

Well I dont think it has 100% confirmed for the US market. Technically APple could just make a model for the EU and call it a day. We all know America will never mandate this type of stuff. 

49 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Well I dont think it has 100% confirmed for the US market. Technically APple could just make a model for the EU and call it a day. We all know America will never mandate this type of stuff. 

I highly doubt they'd go through the trouble in having 2 different lines of phones, accessories, etc.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

I highly doubt they'd go through the trouble in having 2 different lines of phones, accessories, etc.

Having USB-C makes more sense, taking into consideration that MacBook and iPad both work on USB-C.

For me, a person that works on foot, and i travel allot most of the year, having two different kinds of cables make my life more complicated.

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

Well, I can't buy it today since stores don't work today. And i got home from the trip very late yesterday. And buying that cable on gas station is anything but cheap.

13 hours ago, Sima01 said:

Having USB-C makes more sense, taking into consideration that MacBook and iPad both work on USB-C.

For me, a person that works on foot, and i travel allot most of the year, having two different kinds of cables make my life more complicated.

Absolutely. The Lightning connector was one of the reasons I didn't even consider an iPhone.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Stick a toothpick in the lightning port and scoop out all of your pocket scum, should work fine after that.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

Absolutely. The Lightning connector was one of the reasons I didn't even consider an iPhone.

Fingers crossed next one gets usb-c

Everything working fine now, nothing has been replaced, I guess that there was maybe some water in the port. Who knows.