A problem involving my ram is causing my pc to fail boot and randomly shut my pc off. (MSI PRO B650-P WIFI)

Go to solution Solved by T487,
42 minutes ago, ChrisHusk said:

Did and nothing worked.

In that case... I would suspect it is an issue with the CPU or MOBO, like Kitnoman suggested. I suppose it could also be an issue with the PSU. Or loose/faulty cables.

You could try re-seating the CPU & cooler. Or testing it with another PSU, if you have one spare.

Otherwise I would suggest taking it to a computer repair tech. They will most likely have the tools & knowledge to figure out which component is faulty.

My pc in the last 3 days has been having bootting issues or ram issues. I'm not even sure what to call it. My pc when booting up would keep doing cpu and dram lights. One time it did vga and dram then went to only dram. Now when I was calling my friend on my pc it suddenly shuts down and says only dram. I troubleshooted it and this is what I found/did.

I used one ram at a time to troubleshoot. I was able to get it to boot up to windows with both sticks. [Would later not be able to boot]

Sometimes it just boots up and goes to windows. It's like a ramdom chance it works.

Putting in and out Cmos doesn't help

please help. This was my dream pc.

20230824_212048.jpg

My specs are

Amd ryzen 7 7700x

2 x 16gb of ram ddr5 (it's compatible)

amd rx non 6700. 

1tb ssd (not sure if this matters)

750wat psu.

Cooler master hyper 212 rgb black edition

Msi pro b650-p wifi  

Edited by ChrisHusk

So as per experience, one or two of three is happening. First, your ram has an issue, like a factory defect. Second, the motherboard has factory defect on it's ram slots and or bios needs to be updated or there's a short somewhere. Third, the cooler/block is too tight, which bend the pins and causes random issue, depending on which pin is touch which or not touching anything at all.

10 hours ago, Tim834 said:

Test the RAM, with a utility called MemTest86.

If I can get my pc to boot up I will try o get this. I'm in school so I can't right now.

20 hours ago, Tim834 said:

Test the RAM, with a utility called MemTest86.

I cant reach bios anymore and it's just stuck on cpu and ram lights. So I can't even do the test

3 minutes ago, ChrisHusk said:

I cant reach bios anymore and it's just stuck on cpu and ram lights. So I can't even do the test

Remove one of the RAM sticks, & try again. If you still can't boot to the BIOS, try the other RAM stick. You could also try moving them to different RAM slots.

3 hours ago, Tim834 said:

Remove one of the RAM sticks, & try again. If you still can't boot to the BIOS, try the other RAM stick. You could also try moving them to different RAM slots.

Did and nothing worked.

42 minutes ago, ChrisHusk said:

Did and nothing worked.

In that case... I would suspect it is an issue with the CPU or MOBO, like Kitnoman suggested. I suppose it could also be an issue with the PSU. Or loose/faulty cables.

You could try re-seating the CPU & cooler. Or testing it with another PSU, if you have one spare.

Otherwise I would suggest taking it to a computer repair tech. They will most likely have the tools & knowledge to figure out which component is faulty.

13 hours ago, Tim834 said:

I think its most likely the motherboard. The cpu and pins are all fine. I troubleshooted every possible thing. I'm going to send it to msi.

11 minutes ago, ChrisHusk said:

I think its most likely the motherboard. The cpu and pins are all fine. I troubleshooted every possible thing. I'm going to send it to msi.

Well best off luck!

& do let us know the outcome.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 12:53 PM, T487 said:

Well best off luck!

& do let us know the outcome.

Yeah it was the motherbosrd. I rma it and built the pc.