Any suggestions on how to compress gopro footage?

I am looking to heavily compress gopro footage primarily for sharing on discord/whatsapp and storage, the current file sizes range from over a hundred mb to several gb.

I am not very experienced regarding this and only recently bought the gopro, so any help/information/suggestions would be mighty appreciated ^^

If you want to compress a copy of your finished video, Handbrake is a fairly easy to use, free tool. H265/HEVC encoding will take longer than H264, but it will give you smaller files at the same visual quality.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

46 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you want to compress a copy of your finished video, Handbrake is a fairly easy to use, free tool. H265/HEVC encoding will take longer than H264, but it will give you smaller files at the same visual quality.

Do you mean h.265 nvenc or?

That is what I can find in handbrake

9 hours ago, MysticDragon said:

Do you mean h.265 nvenc or?

NVENC is the hardware encoder on Nvidia graphics cards. If you've got that available, give it a try.

No matter which encoder you use, always keep your raw footage if you ever plan on going back and re-editing it.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

NVENC is the hardware encoder on Nvidia graphics cards. If you've got that available, give it a try.

No matter which encoder you use, always keep your raw footage if you ever plan on going back and re-editing it.

What exactly did you mean with h.265 hevc in that case? On the gorpro

What's the best encoder to use on handbrake

1 hour ago, MysticDragon said:

What exactly did you mean with h.265 hevc in that case?

H265 is a video codec.

42 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

H265 is a video codec.

I cannot find it in handbrake, hence I am curious, as you mentioned it.

What exactly did you mean ?

2 minutes ago, MysticDragon said:

I cannot find it in handbrake, hence I am curious, as you mentioned it.

What exactly did you mean ?

If you have it available, use it because you'll get smaller file sizes for the same visual quality.

If you don't, just use H264.

NVENC or Intel Quick Sync Video will encode faster, but x264 on the CPU will give you better quality than those.

Just keep playing with Handbrake until you find a good balance of quality, encode time, and file size. I'm not the Handbrake manual.

11 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you have it available, use it because you'll get smaller file sizes for the same visual quality.

If you don't, just use H264.

NVENC or Intel Quick Sync Video will encode faster, but x264 on the CPU will give you better quality than those.

Just keep playing with Handbrake until you find a good balance of quality, encode time, and file size. I'm not the Handbrake manual.

I get your not the manual but was curious what you were referring too, either way, thank you

H264 will give you maximum compatibility, H265 better performance but could be a struggle with older hardware that do not support it in hardware (as said above)

I would just add that no matter Wich software you use, they are basically all a GUI for FFMpeg and so will show you usually no difference in performances. I personally use Shutter Encoder as I had for very mysterious reasons problems with handbrake but all truly free options are fine,just don't buy a software for that, most of the non pro ones and even most of the pro software still relie on FFMpeg