Best places to buy IT stuff in US?

RevGAM

At this time, I buy almost everything on Amazon and NewEgg. The shopping experience is much better on NE, and I've done 2 tests on shipping time where NE was repeatedly faster for delivering multiple items, but the selection is easily better on Amazon, and prices are, too. Finally, the NE service experience tends to be negative, while Amazon is generally great, and I can usually get free shipping on Amazon but often not NE.

I would like to be able to shop at other places but the ones I've looked at mostly have higher prices and/or a poor shopping experience. 

I'm aware that Micro Center price matches. 

Which other sites are competitive enough to consider? I won't use Ali Express, Groove Inc or Wish. 

I'm especially interested in fans and coolers. 

Thank you! 😊 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

2 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

At this time, I buy almost everything on Amazon and NewEgg. The shopping experience is much better on NE, and I've done 2 tests on shipping time where NE was repeatedly faster for delivering multiple items, but the selection is easily better on Amazon, and prices are, too. Finally, the NE service experience tends to be negative, while Amazon is generally great, and I can usually get free shipping on Amazon but often not NE.

I would like to be able to shop at other places but the ones I've looked at mostly have higher prices and/or a poor shopping experience. 

I'm aware that Micro Center price matches. 

Which other sites are competitive enough to consider? I won't use Ali Express, Groove Inc or Wish. 

I'm especially interested in fans and coolers. 

Thank you! 😊 

I haven't lived in the US in the past 5 years but I remember going to Fry's and Micro Center whenever I need parts for repairs but I would buy all the new hardware online.

If you're looking for actual IT equipment, that's a different story. But it sounds like you're looking for more consumer gear. If that's the case, the places you've been shopping tend to be near the top (Amazon, Newegg, etc). If you have a Microcenter nearby, I definitely suggest checking them out as well. Most manufacturers have a storefront on their site too. 

I am pretty exclusively Amazon and microcenter. My experience with Newegg has been different - usually takes 2-3x as long as Amazon. You need to make sure you are getting prime items if you are needing it quickly. 

In a pinch, I am not against getting something cheap from Walmart to avoid shipping or making the hour and a half drive to microcenter. So far there’s not been anything I’ve needed/wanted and not been able to get within a week.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Just now, TylerD321 said:

I am pretty exclusively Amazon and microcenter. My experience with Newegg has been different - usually takes 2-3x as long as Amazon. You need to make sure you are getting prime items if you are needing it quickly. 

In a pinch, I am not against getting something cheap from Walmart to avoid shipping or making the hour and a half drive to microcenter. So far there’s not been anything I’ve needed/wanted and not been able to get within a week.

Even when I did one test using Prime, NE was faster. And I live near a major Amazon hub and I'm an employee!

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

2 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

I occasionally use Walmart but it's so rare that I don't usually try. 

58 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Even when I did one test using Prime, NE was faster. And I live near a major Amazon hub and I'm an employee!

“2 day shipping” on Amazon is actually next day delivery more times than not in my area. I must just be in a good Amazon area haha.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

5 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

I haven't lived in the US in the past 5 years but I remember going to Fry's and Micro Center whenever I need parts for repairs but I would buy all the new hardware online.

Fry's has been out of business for a couple of years and they were basically a retail zombie for several years before that... there was a period where every tech YouTuber within driving distance of a Fry's did a video making a trip and looking at the empty shelves, it seemed. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

If it's actual IT equipment you're looking for and not consumer stuff... there are various sites for new equipment but generally you want to start with the vendor directly and work back from there. CDW is OK but their prices tend to be all over the place. If you're looking for cables or cheap hardware, fs.com is fantastic. In IT, it doesn't always make sense to buy brand new, so places like Facebook Marketplace, eBay, etc.. are all perfectly acceptable for some hardware. For your main stuff though, you'll typically go through the vendor specifically or a 3rd party MSP/VAR, and sometimes there will be contracts tied to the hardware for support/licensing, depending on the hardware. Meraki, for example, requires an active license to use their hardware. This isn't always the case but a lot of companies are trying to push this because it's more $$$ for them and they can swing the dumb argument of it being "consumer friendly" as you're only paying for it for as long as you use it. 

If you have a more specific list of items, I may be able to give more specific answers. You mentioned fans and coolers, but what hardware are they being used for? Is this for a server or workstation? For fans, you can usually pick those up cheap used. Grab an extra when you do, just in case one fails down the road.  It can be tough to find the exact fan you need sometimes depending on the server. 

52 minutes ago, dimforest said:

If it's actual IT equipment you're looking for and not consumer stuff... there are various sites for new equipment but generally you want to start with the vendor directly and work back from there. CDW is OK but their prices tend to be all over the place. If you're looking for cables or cheap hardware, fs.com is fantastic. In IT, it doesn't always make sense to buy brand new, so places like Facebook Marketplace, eBay, etc.. are all perfectly acceptable for some hardware. For your main stuff though, you'll typically go through the vendor specifically or a 3rd party MSP/VAR, and sometimes there will be contracts tied to the hardware for support/licensing, depending on the hardware. Meraki, for example, requires an active license to use their hardware. This isn't always the case but a lot of companies are trying to push this because it's more $$$ for them and they can swing the dumb argument of it being "consumer friendly" as you're only paying for it for as long as you use it. 

If you have a more specific list of items, I may be able to give more specific answers. You mentioned fans and coolers, but what hardware are they being used for? Is this for a server or workstation? For fans, you can usually pick those up cheap used. Grab an extra when you do, just in case one fails down the road.  It can be tough to find the exact fan you need sometimes depending on the server. 

Thanks. I'm a reviewer/tester, so I need them new. I also need some testing equipment but I've got most of what I need, and the rest must be custom built. 

2 hours ago, thevictor390 said:

Best Buy is an option for consumer/off the shelf stuff, low selection but they can be competitive on price.

Sometimes they have good deals...

Best Buy comically. As long as it’s a component they have in stock, I cross reference the price to make sure it’s in-line, and buy from them. Otherwise I buy from Amazon and wait the two week shipping out. Ugh. 

I stopped buying from Newegg because they burned me on a DOA power supply. I bought an open box (dumb idea) and they wouldn’t take it back for free. They said it wasn’t their fault it’s DOA, it’s Corsair’s fault. I finally got a manager to take it back, but I had to pay $17 in shipping and it was stated they are doing me a favor because again, it isn’t their fault. If Corsair sent them a bad power supply to sell, then it’s Corsair’s fault. This was 7-ish years ago. 

48 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

Best Buy comically. As long as it’s a component they have in stock, I cross reference the price to make sure it’s in-line, and buy from them. Otherwise I buy from Amazon and wait the two week shipping out. Ugh. 

I stopped buying from Newegg because they burned me on a DOA power supply. I bought an open box (dumb idea) and they wouldn’t take it back for free. They said it wasn’t their fault it’s DOA, it’s Corsair’s fault. I finally got a manager to take it back, but I had to pay $17 in shipping and it was stated they are doing me a favor because again, it isn’t their fault. If Corsair sent them a bad power supply to sell, then it’s Corsair’s fault. This was 7-ish years ago. 

Yeah, I'm cautious with them. They definitely have a bad rep.

If I need something now I drive over an hour (each way) to Micro Center in Tustin otherwise it's Amazon. I miss having Fry's Electronics down the street

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

Honestly there aren't a ton of options:

Amazon, Newegg, Microcenter (if you're lucky) are the main sources.

B&H Photo has some stuff, as does Best Buy.

But unless you're doing corporate / business ordering, that's about it.