Is the Samsung Magician & data migration software good?

Nurglwe
Go to solution Solved by AI_Must_Di3,

I have a bunch of Samsung ssd's/m.2 nvme's from the 830 up to 980 pro's, have tried both to boot with and the m.2 felt a bit snappier, but it took about the same amount of time for me to get to the desktop login page with both. Nowadays, it really doesnt matter as much as it used to cause both connections are cheap.

As far as Magician goes i have it installed and used it for some firmware updates and setup some of the services like overprovisioning etc... and then i turn it off and make sure its not booting with a reboot cause it doesnt need to run all the time. The overprovisioning etc... will run auto as a service in windows. Its a decent app, its not great, it does what its supposed to. Ive never tried migrating data with it so i cant speak to that, but i have erased drives with it just fine. Now, if i have really sensitive data ill use ashampoo's file eraser cause it has the ability to do a crazy thorough wipe.

Hello!

I'm (hopefully) going to be getting a NVME Samsung 980 PRO as a boot drive and ahead of time want to look for ways to improve it, so far I have noted that:
-The firmware needs to be updated ASAP (something something firmware issues)
-I should use some form of data migration tool to get data from my old SSD to the new one
-I should try and optimise it as best as possible to get more performance

(Also, I know that NVME drives aren't particularly good for boot drives but I accidentally bid on it and won 😕  )

So my question is, is it worth using the native software from Samsung or a 3rd party app like Macrium Reflect?
Also, is Samsung Magician worth it?

Cheers!

Samsung magician is free.

I have used it, I do use it, I would use it again.

Don't worry about using an NVME as boot drive, you'll not wear it out.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

30 minutes ago, Nurglwe said:

Hello!

I'm (hopefully) going to be getting a NVME Samsung 980 PRO as a boot drive and ahead of time want to look for ways to improve it, so far I have noted that:
-The firmware needs to be updated ASAP (something something firmware issues)
-I should use some form of data migration tool to get data from my old SSD to the new one
-I should try and optimise it as best as possible to get more performance

(Also, I know that NVME drives aren't particularly good for boot drives but I accidentally bid on it and won 😕  )

So my question is, is it worth using the native software from Samsung or a 3rd party app like Macrium Reflect?
Also, is Samsung Magician worth it?

Cheers!

I've used Macrium Reflect several times, so far it didn't fail me.
I also have Samsung Magician, although I never used it for data migration, since I only have 1 samsung SSD and it's not my boot anyway.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

32 minutes ago, Nurglwe said:

Can you explain this? I have not heard about it anywhere else.

1 hour ago, fohatadri said:

Can you explain this? I have not heard about it anywhere else.

According to other forums the difference between a NVME drive and SATA drive for boot is negligible,
Source:

11 minutes ago, Nurglwe said:

According to other forums the difference between a NVME drive and SATA drive for boot is negligible,
Source:

I thought you meant that they're bad or degrade very fast. It's much more clearer now.
In some cases my old PCs/laptops seem to boot much quicker than my newer systems. All of those olds systems use good ol' sata ssds from 5-7 years ago.

I have a bunch of Samsung ssd's/m.2 nvme's from the 830 up to 980 pro's, have tried both to boot with and the m.2 felt a bit snappier, but it took about the same amount of time for me to get to the desktop login page with both. Nowadays, it really doesnt matter as much as it used to cause both connections are cheap.

As far as Magician goes i have it installed and used it for some firmware updates and setup some of the services like overprovisioning etc... and then i turn it off and make sure its not booting with a reboot cause it doesnt need to run all the time. The overprovisioning etc... will run auto as a service in windows. Its a decent app, its not great, it does what its supposed to. Ive never tried migrating data with it so i cant speak to that, but i have erased drives with it just fine. Now, if i have really sensitive data ill use ashampoo's file eraser cause it has the ability to do a crazy thorough wipe.

1 hour ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

Indeed, I only recently saw about the lack of difference between each as a boot drive (after buying it).

I've used magician as you have now, all looks good so I shall clear the old drive with ashampoo's thing then should be all good.

3 hours ago, Nurglwe said:

Source:

If you are hoping to notice a difference in boot time and general OS use between NVME and SATA SSD , you will need to use stopwatch each time.
It is faster, but not something you can notice each time with just eyeballing it.

The obvious upside of it is that it doesn't need extra cables & space.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.