My PC is running crazy (crashes, BSOD, WHEA ERROR)

predestruction
Go to solution Solved by predestruction,

Alrighty a small Update Guys:

After figuring and testing out more, i found out that the Cablemod Cables are the likely Reason for the Crashing.

I figured out the biggest difference between the 970 and the 3080 was the Power draw. So i manipulated the Power Target in Afterburner while Running the OCCT Power Test.

At about 70% the PC was crashing. Also touching the Cables of the GPU was resulting in an immediat Crash. Thats why i replaced the Cables with the Factory Cables from Seasonic. Now i made multiple Stress tests and everything is going fine. So all this shit happened just because of the PCIE Cables. The last thing i tought could brake in a PC.

Hello Guys,

my PC is running crazy for a Month now and its gets worse and worse. First off the Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D 
MB:   STRIX X570-E

RAM:32 GB DDR4 GSKILL Trident Z 14-14-14-34(Samsung B-Die) running on DOCP

GPU:ASUS RTX 3080 running on PCI-E 4.0 Riser

PSU: 850 Seasonic Prime PSU

SSD: Samsung 970EVO NVME

Now my Problems: Over the last Months my PC got more and more unstable. Sometimes the PC crashed and sometimes it didnt boot up properly. But no BSOD

On Sunday and Monday this escalated. When starting the PC it crashed right after entering the Password. The only way i could get into Windows was over Booting in Safe Mode.

I assumed its a Windows Problem and i reinstalled it completly fresh.

After the fresh reinstall the Problems didnt went away. While reinstalling all my Shit Windows crashed several Times with BSOD(for the first time). But the BSOD Screen is gone so fast i couldnt make out anything and no dump files are getting created. 

After filming the BSOD with a phone and getting through the clip frame by frame i found out i had a "WHEA uncorrectable Error". 

In response to that i took out all the RAM and started inserting it Stick by Stick. For some Reason the PC was running good for 1.5 Days. Then the Bluescreens started appearing when playing a Game after about 3-10 minutes. But its not just games. Reinstalling Inventor (CAD) triggered the BSOD aswell. 

i already made a Memtest over night but it didnt give me back any Results. Reducing the Ram to 16 instead of 32 GB didnt help either. Switching both Sticks against each other didnt help also. 

In another Forum Post a Member asked to create a DisplayErrorMessage for the BSOD which i did. I triggered it and filmed the screen so i could save the Error Codes that appear top left. Rhe BSOD is still gone after less then a second.
Anyone can tell me what they are saying?

0x0000000000000010

0XFFFF900322684028

0XFFFF90030F1A596C

0XFFFF90030F2A51A0

I really dont know what to do. And i cant afford to send every PC Part into RMA just to get a hint where the Problem is. Anyone knows what Trouble shooting steps i should do next?

4 minutes ago, predestruction said:

DOCP

Turn this off

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Turn this off

Tried it and the PC still crashes 3 minutes after i start playing a Game.
Error codes this time:

0x0000000000000010

0xFFFFCA84C21F0028

0xFFFFCA84B0BBE09C

0xFFFFCA84B0C941A0

I'm still suspecting the RAM, because I've had similar issues with one of my old DDR3 systems.

System was fine for the 5+ years, and then out of the blue, I started getting BSOD's.

BSOD would occur when a game is fired up, or when multiple applications were running at the same time.

I soon later found it, after a certain amount of RAM usage was exceed (~11? / 16GB) , the BSOD will happen.

One of the memory modules has gone bad.

Is this a 4 x 8GB set-up or 2 x 16GB?

Also see if eliminating the PCI-E riser cable has any effect.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

14 minutes ago, predestruction said:

Tried it and the PC still crashes 3 minutes after i start playing a Game.
Error codes this time:

0x0000000000000010

0xFFFFCA84C21F0028

0xFFFFCA84B0BBE09C

0xFFFFCA84B0C941A0

The codes don't help, what I'd need are the mini crashdumps from the BSoDs, but I"m with @-rascal- non-repeating errors are a sure sign you have bad RAM (or a really whacked out BIOS config)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

it could be a faulty CPU, ive had Ryzen 5000 series BSOD out of the box, if memtest didnt spit out anything id try if you have any spares swap with a know good part or Refund the part if youre still within time, otherwise RMA for a replacement

also have you tried reading the info about your Bluescreens with whocrashed? if not, give it a scan and share some screens of the errors.

"I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks..."

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

also have you updated your bios to the latest version?

"I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks..."

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The codes don't help, what I'd need are the mini crashdumps from the BSoDs, but I"m with @-rascal- non-repeating errors are a sure sign you have bad RAM (or a really whacked out BIOS config)

The Problem is that no dumps are created. Because for me it seems that even the Bluescreen crashes. 

Like i said its gone in like under a second. Normally i know bluescreens to run for a few sec and collect data. But its not happening here.

As for the RAM i will now try to run different configs.

I have 4x8GB of Ram. And i highly doubt that all 4 sticks are faulty. 1 Maybe or 2 but probably not all 4.

As for Whocrashed: it doesnt help, since the PC isnt making any reports.

2 minutes ago, predestruction said:

But its not happening here.

You can (if your system will stay up) configure this to collect BSoD data

i have changed 2x8GB sticks for the 2x8GB Sticks i took out previously. 
At least the Games that crashed in a few minutes now run stable for at least 15 minutes. No crashes so far.

Besides memtest86 are there other Testing programms for memory?

6 minutes ago, predestruction said:

i have changed 2x8GB sticks for the 2x8GB Sticks i took out previously. 
At least the Games that crashed in a few minutes now run stable for at least 15 minutes. No crashes so far.

Besides memtest86 are there other Testing programms for memory?

memtest is the Gold Standard to testing RAM, but it needs at least 1 complete pass, which can take many hours.

10 minutes ago, predestruction said:

Can you give me some instructions to enable it?

i tried it like here:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-windows-create-dump-files-blue-screen

and it still doesnt create dump files.

That should be accurate, if the system is crashing and not creating the files, you have bigger issues

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

memtest is the Gold Standard to testing RAM, but it needs at least 1 complete pass, which can take many hours.

That should be accurate, if the system is crashing and not creating the files, you have bigger issues

I tested the whole 32GB yesterday as mentioned in the post above. Standard Settings running the 4 Passes. Nothing has been found. 

So it could be something besides the RAM or the memtest86 didnt find anything.

Do you know any explanation for why its not creating dump files?

I tested the whole 32GB yesterday as mentioned in the post above. Standard Settings running the 4 Passes. Nothing has been found. 

So it could be something besides the RAM or the memtest86 didnt find anything.

Do you know any explanation for why its not creating dump files?

If memtest didn't find bad RAM, then the RAM isn't bad.

as to what else...could be a bad CPU, or a borked BIOS setup. Reset BIOS to default, not sure why crash dumps are not being created, is your drive out of space?

21 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If memtest didn't find bad RAM, then the RAM isn't bad.

as to what else...could be a bad CPU, or a borked BIOS setup. Reset BIOS to default, not sure why crash dumps are not being created, is your drive out of space?

Alright so the crash occured again. Its probably not the RAM. I installed the newest BIOS. so its not the Problem.

As for drive space  its half empty so that shouldnt be a Problem either.

Alright so the crash occured again. Its probably not the RAM. I installed the newest BIOS. so its not the Problem.

As for drive space  its half empty so that shouldnt be a Problem either.

hmmm...

Ok, when the system crashes, can you take a cellphone screen shot of what it's doing at the moment of Blue Screening?

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

hmmm...

Ok, when the system crashes, can you take a cellphone screen shot of what it's doing at the moment of Blue Screening?

You can't see that it's a WHEA Error but it is this is how every blue screen is happening. 

You can't see that it's a WHEA Error but it is this is how every blue screen is happening. 

Is the rain on the wallpaper supposed to be there?

Also, the system is configured to automatically reboot, that needs to be changed. 

https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-disable-automatic-restart-on-system-failure-in-windows-2626067#:~:text=Go to Control Panel and,box next to Automatically restart.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Is the rain on the wallpaper supposed to be there?

Also, the system is configured to automatically reboot, that needs to be changed. 

https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-disable-automatic-restart-on-system-failure-in-windows-2626067#:~:text=Go to Control Panel and,box next to Automatically restart.

Yes its supposed to be there its a Wallpaper from Wallpaper Engine. 

It also happens while Wallpaper Engine is not running.

ok i will change it.

So after 4 hours of troubleshooting and replacing the RTX 3080 with my old GTX 970 further and preparing to send of my GPU away for a Warranty claim, it turned out that my PC runs fine with the Quiet Bios (Thank GOD for BIOS Switches on GPUs).

I reinstalled the BIOS on the "Performance" Mode. So far no crashes. I will Monitor this in the next Days and if there will be another Crash i will probably send in the GPU. 

I came to the GPU conclusion since the PC only crashed at graphically demanding Tasks. No crashes with CPU Renderings, Cinebench or Prime95. Additionally after reseating the 3080 from the Riser into the PCIE Slot directly, the VGA lamp was shining bright on the MB no matter what i did. Only after switching to the silent BIOS the PC booted up again.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:
So i send in my Card to Asus under Warranty.

The Repair Details are pretty thin at best:

Problem: Inspection Failure(Component damaged)

Action: Reassembly/adjust pin/Cleaning to solve Problem

Replace Parts: -

Note:

1. GPU Vendor test PASS(DIAG)

2.Windows test PASS(AVT)

3.Gameplay test PASS (2 different game engines 30+30 min)

4.VGA card was installed and tested in PC desktop case.

My PC has run now for 1,5 weeks with my old GTX 970. I didnt had a single crash in that time.

After reinstalling the RTX 3080 i got my first crash after watching a Series for half an hour and then starting Train Valley 2 (low demanding 3D Puzzle game).

Same Bluescreen and same Error code (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE ERROR)

Any Idea what to do?

If i go to ASUS again they will probably tell me to fuck off since they tested the card. I am getting pretty desperate.

After figuring and testing out more, i found out that the Cablemod Cables are the likely Reason for the Crashing.

I figured out the biggest difference between the 970 and the 3080 was the Power draw. So i manipulated the Power Target in Afterburner while Running the OCCT Power Test.

At about 70% the PC was crashing. Also touching the Cables of the GPU was resulting in an immediat Crash. Thats why i replaced the Cables with the Factory Cables from Seasonic. Now i made multiple Stress tests and everything is going fine. So all this shit happened just because of the PCIE Cables. The last thing i tought could brake in a PC.

On 8/16/2023 at 8:31 PM, Radium_Angel said:

They really do when it's a WHEA crash. It has the entire CPER which tells you exactly what went wrong. Except for 1-3 other crashes, sure, not valuable info. 

2 hours ago, predestruction said:

I did not see your post when you originally posted it, looking at it the info you provided shows an issue with the NVMe drive. It can of course be power, unstable voltages could trip up anything. I would just expect something else than the NVMe to trip up first.

We have lately seen a bug in a Windows storage driver cause these crashes. Basically with this bug, an Xbox driver thinks that your storage drive is an Xbox Virtual Disk and tells the OS that it's faulty because it's not responding to commands the way it expects. Run Command Prompt as admin and run the command "fltmc" and screenshot the output. It will list which storage drivers are loaded and in use. 

2 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

They really do when it's a WHEA crash. It has the e

We have lately seen a bug in a Windows storage driver cause these crashes. Basically with this bug, an Xbox driver thinks that your storage drive is an Xbox Virtual Disk and tells the OS that it's faulty because it's not responding to commands the way it expects. Run Command Prompt as admin and run the command "fltmc" and screenshot the output. It will list which storage drivers are loaded and in use. 

image.thumb.png.a5e7134fe836dc0ea3e3c213ecdcc33f.png

6 minutes ago, predestruction said:

image.thumb.png.a5e7134fe836dc0ea3e3c213ecdcc33f.png

Sorry, none of the problematic drivers are listed. Fingers crossed that the new power cable fixed it, but if you still crash then I would look at the SSD next. Windows can't tell the difference between the SSD and slot/motherboard, but a bad SSD is way more common.

EDIT: If you still get WHEA crashes I mean.