Seating CPU causes system to stop powering on?

Mcrawford

I’m new to pc building but took apart an old HP Pavilion desktop to clean it as it had been running outside in a billboard for 5 years. It was just about functional but after cleaning and putting it back together I’ve found the fans and power supply appear to only work when no cpu is seated, regardless whether the 4 pin cpu power supply is connected to the motherboard or not. Can anyone help? It’s a Willow 2 motherboard and Radeon R7 CPU.

1 minute ago, Mcrawford said:

I’m new to pc building but took apart an old HP Pavilion desktop to clean it as it had been running outside in a billboard for 5 years. It was just about functional but after cleaning and putting it back together I’ve found the fans and power supply appear to only work when no cpu is seated, regardless whether the 4 pin cpu power supply is connected to the motherboard or not. Can anyone help? It’s a Willow 2 motherboard and Radeon R7 CPU.

I would imagine that there may be a bent pin in the cpu socket or the cpu itself. There could also be an issue with the power supply. I know it worked fine before according to your statement but over time I find disconnecting things that have been plugged in for so long tends find a way to make it stop working. It sounds a bit strange but it happened a few years ago on a 12 year old dell desktop I had where I disconnected a 4 pin cpu connector and a fan but when I plugged them back in they didn't work.

2 minutes ago, Marcus Kemp said:

I would imagine that there may be a bent pin in the cpu socket or the cpu itself. There could also be an issue with the power supply. I know it worked fine before according to your statement but over time I find disconnecting things that have been plugged in for so long tends find a way to make it stop working. It sounds a bit strange but it happened a few years ago on a 12 year old dell desktop I had where I disconnected a 4 pin cpu connector and a fan but when I plugged them back in they didn't work.

I know the power supply definitely works, I jump started it and tested all the pins with a multimeter, and the cpu looks fine to me, but I guess I don’t really know what I’m looking for. PC didn’t cost me anything so I guess I can just salvage the rest of the pc until I can afford new parts. Thanks for the help tho!

5 hours ago, Mcrawford said:

and Radeon R7 CPU.

That's the GPU. Is it the CPU or GPU it won't boot with? 

12 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

That's the GPU. Is it the CPU or GPU it won't boot with? 

I thought the name was odd in the manual, must have been a misprint. Sorry, I'm new to this. Defo the CPU causing the problems, looking at it now its an AMD A10-9700?

5 hours ago, Mcrawford said:

AMD A10-9700?

Yes, that's the CPU. And it's has integrated graphics so the R7 might be in the CPU.

Remove everything you can while still getting an image output. You should only have the CPU, one RAM stick and power connected (Try two different RAM sticks if it won't start, still one at a time). If it still won't start it's the CPU, motherboard or PSU.

You can also try resetting the CMOS.

1 hour ago, Bjoolz said:

Yes, that's the CPU. And it's has integrated graphics so the R7 might be in the CPU.

Remove everything you can while still getting an image output. You should only have the CPU, one RAM stick and power connected (Try two different RAM sticks if it won't start, still one at a time). If it still won't start it's the CPU, motherboard or PSU.

You can also try resetting the CMOS.

I get no image output at all and the minute I put the CPU in it will not turn on. I know it’s a stupid thing to try, but unseating the cpu and jumping the power on pins causes the fans to spin up, and seating the cpu causes all the fans to shut off, even the power supply. I’ve tried with just power, motherboard and cpu, and also with everything connected. I believe I did reset the cmos and replace the battery. 

3 hours ago, Mcrawford said:

I get no image output at all and the minute I put the CPU in it will not turn on. I know it’s a stupid thing to try, but unseating the cpu and jumping the power on pins causes the fans to spin up, and seating the cpu causes all the fans to shut off, even the power supply. I’ve tried with just power, motherboard and cpu, and also with everything connected. I believe I did reset the cmos and replace the battery. 

This doesn't actually tell us anything as it can't do anything without a CPU.