Can't install Windows because drive is of gpt style. Help!

jamieboo
Go to solution Solved by wildgg,
4 minutes ago, jamieboo said:

Hello folks

Readying my old pc to give to my cousin, and I'm having trouble installing Windows.

Trying to install to a Samsung Evo ssd that I'd previously 'Quick Formatted' in Windows to get rid of everything on it.

I've got my Windows media on a USB stick.

Now when I go to install it says it can't because the drive is of the gpt partition style.

I researched a bit and found that usually this happens when trying to use a gpt style drive with legacy bios. Gpt apparently requires uefi.

But the bios IS uefi! So I don't know why it says gpt is a problem!

Any ideas what I can do to solve this?

Thaks

1. From inside Windows Setup, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window.
2. Type diskpart and enter.
3..Type list disk .(look for your disk number, check the size of the disk)
4. Type select disk <disk number>. example: select disk0 (select the disk you want to format)
5. Type clean.
7. Close the command prompt window.
8. Continue the Windows Setup installation.

Hello folks

Readying my old pc to give to my cousin, and I'm having trouble installing Windows.

Trying to install to a Samsung Evo ssd that I'd previously 'Quick Formatted' in Windows to get rid of everything on it.

Now when I go to install it says it can't because the drive is of the gpt partition style.

I researched a bit and found that usually this happens when trying to use a gpt style drive with legacy bios. Gpt apparently requires uefi.

Thaks

idk, you should try updating bios, just make sure you dont lose power while doing this or rip your motherboard

4 minutes ago, jamieboo said:

Hello folks

Thaks

4. Type select disk <disk number>. example: select disk0 (select the disk you want to format)
5. Type clean.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Assuming there's nothing on this drive that you would want to keep, try using diskpart to completely wipe the drive clean. You can do this from the command prompt that comes with the Windows installer, under the "recovery" tools.

Follow up through step 5 from this tutorial:

https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/11058/how-to-use-diskpart-to-clean-and-format-a-drive-in-windows-10

Once you've done that, return to the installer and it should let you create new partitions.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

11 hours ago, Wildgg said:

5. Type clean.

That did it!

Thank you so much, Wildgg!