Where do you guys watch HDR content? (movies, series, etc)

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by BetteBalterZen,
2 hours ago, Hi P said:

Ever since I bought my OLED I've enjoyed playing games on it with HDR, but that's about it.

I'm pretty sure that none of the movies I've watched on Prime or Disney Plus have been HDR, I do use LG's apps.

At this point it feels like the only HDR content that I can watch are these 4k OLED demos on YouTube聽馃槄

Hi Hi P,聽

Hmm well, I can't remember the last time whatever I watched on Netflix or fx Amazong Prime wasn't in HDR? I own a LG CX 65 and most of these streaming apps support Dolby Vision and this is the HDR format that 99% of the time is used. (From what I have seen)

And to your more general question, I was HDR content on my TV and on my PC. On my TV through the various streaming services apps and locally from a harddrive and on my PC using MPC-HC + MadVR. (MadVR has the function to send HDR metadata to monitors, so local HDR content just works perfectly like on a TV through streaming apps, it's great)

Ever since I bought my OLED I've enjoyed playing games on it with HDR, but that's about it.

I'm pretty sure that none of the movies I've watched on Prime or Disney Plus have been HDR, I do use LG's apps.

At this point it feels like the only HDR content that I can watch are these 4k OLED demos on YouTube聽馃槄

The Prime app on my C2 has many things in HDR, it definitely works too. Just look for the HDR logo.聽

Other than that its mostly games for me.聽

2 hours ago, Hi P said:

Hi Hi P,聽

Hmm well, I can't remember the last time whatever I watched on Netflix or fx Amazong Prime wasn't in HDR? I own a LG CX 65 and most of these streaming apps support Dolby Vision and this is the HDR format that 99% of the time is used. (From what I have seen)

And to your more general question, I was HDR content on my TV and on my PC. On my TV through the various streaming services apps and locally from a harddrive and on my PC using MPC-HC + MadVR. (MadVR has the function to send HDR metadata to monitors, so local HDR content just works perfectly like on a TV through streaming apps, it's great)

PC Setup:

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals:

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

R脴DE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup:聽

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit +聽Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

1 hour ago, BetteBalterZen said:

most of these streaming apps support Dolby Vision and this is the HDR format that 99% of the time is used.

Oh my god, I didn't know Dolby Vision was basically HDR 馃槄

Just now, Hi P said:

Oh my god, I didn't know Dolby Vision was basically HDR 馃槄

Haha well, you learn as you go 馃槃 Yeah it's just another HDR format, and probably the best one of them all.聽

PC Setup:

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals:

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

R脴DE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup:聽

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit +聽Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

For content with HDR support I also been viewing using MPC-BE + MadVR. Also, sometimes Netflix on LG's app and UHD Blu Rays.聽

PC spec:聽CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV)聽| MB:聽MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570聽|聽RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25)聽|聽COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000W |聽UPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE聽PRO WIRELESS聽| CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS:LG 34GN850 |聽2x DELL S2721DGF |LG C1 48"

HT & audio stuff:聽 AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER:聽YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II聽| MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

Would only do local, I don't use streaming and really mostly into HDR in games.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink |聽Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |聽Seasonic Focus GX-850 |聽Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver) |聽Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen)聽| Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and pretty much any other streaming service supports HDR nowadays. For the best HDR playback you should use the internal apps. Using them in Windows is a mixed bag.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

As others have noted, all the "major" apps for your LG TV (what model?) will natively support HDR content - this includes Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, etc.

Most new content on all 3 of those platforms will be 4K + HDR. The LG TV should also support Dolby Vision, which is just a different version of HDR.

HDR comes in 3 main formats:

HDR10 - this is "standard" HDR, and basically comes on anything that has HDR support

HDR10+ - this is Samsung's proprietary version of Dolby Vision - it's an upgrade of the regular HDR10 spec

Dolby Vision - this is the other upgrade over regular HDR10 - it's more widespread than HDR10+ is, which is usually only found on Samsung hardware. DV can be found on any number of TV's and players.

There are other HDR specs but none of them are particularly widespread in the consumer space.

How do I watch most of my HDR content? For reference, I have a Sony A80J OLED and my primary playback device is an Xbox One S - the One S's apps support HDR including Dolby Vision, so that's what I'm using for most things. I also play physical 4K UHD Blu-Rays, but the disc player does not support Dolby Vision (fking Microsoft didn't want to pay the additional license fee I guess), so it uses standard HDR10.

IMO the visual quality benefits of the higher bitrate on the 4K Blu-Rays makes up for the lack of DV when playing a disc - though if you can get a 4K Blu-Ray player that also supports DV, you get the best of the best there. Most people I've talked to say that DV is a nice to have upgrade, but the difference over HDR10 isn't THAT big for most movies.

For Sale:聽Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red聽- HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 8/8/2023 at 11:16 AM, dalekphalm said:

As others have noted, all the "major" apps for your LG TV (what model?) will natively support HDR content - this includes Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, etc.

Yeah! I didn't know Dolby was basically HDR until it was pointed out in this thread 馃槅

I have the LG C3 42" which I love! I use it on a daily basis to work (as a monitor), then I switch to movies / series and they look stunning 鉂わ笍