Dallas, TX ISPs - HALP

Mooshi

So, let me explain my little situation. I live with a couple of cousins of mine for the time being and I'm really the only tech savvy one in the house (also the only one with a PC to justify adding Internet). Because Time Warner is ran by buttholes, individual services can't be on separate bills if everything is going into the same home. Before I gave my cousins 40 dollars each month to cover the internet service (I don't watch TV, at all), I was using this service called "Clearwire" which was "fast 4G" service that was roughly 52 dollars a month and the service sucked balls. If a cloud dared so much as show up outside, my internet speed dropped from around 6mbps to slower than dial-up..I'm dead serious. We're talking quad digit ping times when it's overcast. Only reason I even sold my soul to get Internet added through Time Warner was because wired > wireless, plus it was cheaper. 52 dollars for dial-up, no thanks.

I should probably mention no one uses landlines here and this house doesn't even have a landline connection anywhere. Strange, I know, but thought I'd let that be know before asking this. Anyone living Dallas county on LTT, what is your ISP and how much do they charge? I'm getting really frustrated that I had to pester Time Warner FOUR times for shutting my Internet off when my side of the services is the one that's paid on time, it's the cable portion that's even late and that's because one of my cousin's has bad health issues and obviously medical expenses are a higher priority than funding the idiot box. (Kidney failure, if he doesn't regularly go to dialysis, he'd die of blood poisoning.) In spite of trying to explain this to Time Warner, they are still robotic assholes in their response. So here the cable is running just fine in spite of being late at all times while my internet, the service that's actually consistently paid for on time, gets shut off by these pricks. Oh, doesn't help the car has had issues as well that were pricey.

Usually I could sweet talk a rep to turn my service back on, but lately they've been complete dicks about being reasonable and because I live in Murrica, the thread of switching to another ISP doesn't phase anyone. I recall also looking for a new ISP before settling on getting Internet tacked onto Time Warner and can recall not really being thrilled at the selections. I live in one of the largest cities in all of the USA and we also have one of the largest air ports in the /world/ and yet it seems our Internet SUCKS.

Maybe there is some obscure local ISP that I'm not aware of or something, but anyone living in my area with good Internet that isn't Time Warner, please chime in with suggestions. I loathe having the EA of the ISP world.

tl;dr Texas ISPs suck

This might help.

Sorry to hear about your cousin's health issues. I know how you feel about your ISP. I hate mine. I mean, don't get me wrong, for an ISP they are pretty good, but that's like saying someone is the nicest of a band of thiefs and crooks. "At least they smile and say hi when they steal my stuff." 

Of all the things to be happy that I don't have, data caps are the most important things.

Note: I don't live in Dallas, I live about 2 hours away. Only 1 ISP for our town. :(

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Sorry, I'm down in Sugar Land...

My options here are Windstream, Comcast, and Clear....

I use Windstream and I'm really ticked off right now. Had outgoing packet loss for two days now... they claim they can't do anything about it... I have to borrow a laptop and go to a cafe to work lately...

Comcast isn't any better. We really don't have any good options in Texas. :(

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

You would think for a state the size of Texas and the fact it's one of the few states out of all 50 that gives more to the feds than it takes, you'd think the entire state would be a hot spot for internet, but nope. I know Austin is getting fiber, but I don't live in bloody Austin.

You would think for a state the size of Texas and the fact it's one of the few states out of all 50 that gives more to the feds than it takes, you'd think the entire state would be a hot spot for internet, but nope. I know Austin is getting fiber, but I don't live in bloody Austin.

My friend lives in Austin....the bastard can get google fiber if he moves to the area that supports it. Luckyyy...

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I have Verizon FIOS 50/25 for $69/mo. It's excellent.

Sounds like your cousin needs to cancel their TV service if they can't pay it. That's not Time Warner's fault.

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}

I have Verizon FIOS 50/25 for $69/mo. It's excellent.

Sounds like your cousin needs to cancel their TV service if they can't pay it. That's not Time Warner's fault.

It's more or less bad health + asshole bosses + losing hours + car problems + stuck in contract = less money and that isn't their fault for this issue to be that black and white. They always do get it paid eventually, but other things take a much higher priority. When there is shit in life that comes up in life that isn't your fault, you can't go around criticizing people.

Back to the topic at hand, I hate having zero choice when it comes to Internet and this goes beyond just Dallas or even the state of Texas. Japan and their 2Gbps internet that costs less than what you pay..Americans get shafted when it comes to broadband and the cost of said broadband.