How to install Win95 on a Windows 7 laptop.

kb5zue

Hello again.

I have brought this up before but now that I have some tangible resources I'm back again for some more help.

Background:  Long time ago in a land far, far, away I was played a game called Rendezvous with Rama, a scifi game based on contact with an alien spacecraft outside Earth's orbit.  Anyway, it's a great game but it only works on Win95.

My brother game me a older HP laptop that currently has Windows 7 installed on it.  I would love to replace the Windows 7 with Windows 95 so that I can then install the game.  The laptop has all the equipment to play the game, I just don't have a clue on how to install Windows 95.  I did purchase an original (looks original anyway) Windows 95 cd but of course when I put it in the laptop it would not install like I hoped.

There is nothing on the laptop to save, Windows 7 is the only thing on the laptop.  Just need to replace that with Win95.

If anyone has any experience with the task at hand I would really appreciate your advice.  Once the laptop has Win95 and has my game installed and running, then that is the only thing that I will be using the laptop for.  Yea, I really loved the game.

So, for equipment I have:  the HP laptop, Windows 95 cd-rom, and the Rendezvous with Rama game cd-rom's.  That's it, if there is anything else that I need, please don't hesitate to let me know.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion DV7-4165dx Entertainment Notebook.

Thanks for the help. 

Take Care and Good Luck.

16 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Hello again.

I have brought this up before but now that I have some tangible resources I'm back again for some more help.

Background:  Long time ago in a land far, far, away I was played a game called Rendezvous with Rama, a scifi game based on contact with an alien spacecraft outside Earth's orbit.  Anyway, it's a great game but it only works on Win95.

My brother game me a older HP laptop that currently has Windows 7 installed on it.  I would love to replace the Windows 7 with Windows 95 so that I can then install the game.  The laptop has all the equipment to play the game, I just don't have a clue on how to install Windows 95.  I did purchase an original (looks original anyway) Windows 95 cd but of course when I put it in the laptop it would not install like I hoped.

There is nothing on the laptop to save, Windows 7 is the only thing on the laptop.  Just need to replace that with Win95.

If anyone has any experience with the task at hand I would really appreciate your advice.  Once the laptop has Win95 and has my game installed and running, then that is the only thing that I will be using the laptop for.  Yea, I really loved the game.

So, for equipment I have:  the HP laptop, Windows 95 cd-rom, and the Rendezvous with Rama game cd-rom's.  That's it, if there is anything else that I need, please don't hesitate to let me know.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion DV7-4165dx Entertainment Notebook.

Thanks for the help. 

Take Care and Good Luck.

Your best bet is to install Windows 95 as a VM. There will be virtually zero proper driver support for your hardware on Windows 95.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

32 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/rendezvous-with-rama-6f

That seems to be a DOS game. So it should run fine in DOSBox, meaning you don't need to install Windows 95 for it.

Unless you meant Rama, rather than Rendezvous with Rama?

No, the game is Rendezvous with Rama.  I have two sets of the original cd's.  My brother gave me his set when he gave me the laptop making two sets, his and mine.  I'm just trying to figure out how to get the game running.  Doesn't matter if it is on the laptop or my desktop pc.  I just thought that installing Win95 on the laptop would be easier therefore getting the game to run easier too.  Obviously I made another mistake.

After clicking the links provided in your post it is easy to see the game I am talking about is RAMA but the cd's that I have are labeled Rendezvous with Rama.  The RwR depicted in the links show the game is pixelated and definitely a DOS game whereas the game Rama is definitely a Windows game.  The graphics are very different from each other.  The back of the cd case makes reference to a game called Antara.  Never tried that one.  Somehow I ended up with Rama disks in a Rendezvous with Rama cd-case.  After all these years of lugging that thing around all around the world I never noticed that until now.  (I spent 15 of 20 years in the Air Force overseas).  I never got rid of the game because I always hoped that someday I would be able to play it again.  I think I have read the book 5 or 6 times already.

Many thanks for the insight into the game and the help.  I really never knew there was a DOS version of it.  Really appreciate it.

Take care and good luck.

win95 on newer hardware isnt gonna happen full stop. there's limits to the win9x architecture that simply cant handle something too new. if it ran win7 i dount win9x is an option.

having that said.. look into 86box, depending on the exact era of game, that may work great.

7 hours ago, kb5zue said:

No, the game is Rendezvous with Rama.  I have two sets of the original cd's.

Could also be the newer game was later renamed to avoid confusion 🤷‍♂️

The Wiki article says RAMA should also run on DOS, so maybe DOSBox or 86Box is still an option.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Could also be the newer game was later renamed to avoid confusion 🤷‍♂️

The Wiki article says RAMA should also run on DOS, so maybe DOSBox or 86Box is still an option.

Yeah but if he already have win95 cd he might as well just install it in a vm. He will automatically have both (DOS + Win95) in a single VM and since he isn't sure which version of the game it is then for sure that VM will work for both case.

Plus DOSBox is a nightmare to make work properly nowadays

-= Moved to the Windows Section =-

Please pay attention that you are posting in the correct place.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER