AMD Cuts Radeon R9 280 to $249

Prodigydeadeye

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8019/amd-cuts-radeon-r9-280-to-249

So now that the R9 280 is directly competing with the GTX 760 pricepoint of ~$250, does anyone have a good video or link to some benchmarks of the two cards against each other? Please don't say "GTX 760 is better" or "R9 280 is better." I just want to see the benchmarks. 

I should be studying.

So now that the R9 280 is directly competing with the GTX 760 pricepoint of ~$250, does anyone have a good video or link to some benchmarks of the two cards against each other? Please don't say "GTX 760 is better" or "R9 280 is better." I just want to see the benchmarks. 

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/815

r280 is better when overclocked and has more vram

...R9 280 isn't in the benchmark dude.

hd7950

also this is only 1 game, and i also belive crysis 3 favor nvidia

but you could expect at stock that 760 beats 280 in -probably most games

i am too lazy to find benchmarks :D

Try $200

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/151978-r9-280-price-drops-to-200/

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

There is not Radeon 280 on that there list.

No, the base price is $250, not $200. Price after other rebates/sales is different.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

look at the 7950 to the 760.

The 280 is a 7950

Still dirt cheap for such an incredible card with tons of untapped overclock potential, and 3 free above average games.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The amount of comments saying this. I didn't know the 280 wasn't in there, I just know they had benchmarks

Still dirt cheap for such an incredible card with tons of untapped overclock potential, and 3 free above average games.

I have never really liked the games AMD included in the Never Settle Bundle. They had Battlefield 4 for a little while on select cards. That in my opinion would be better than 3 mediocre games.

I should be studying.

here you go overclocked bench. its just that 7950 = r9 280

7950 sure overclocks...or did they just get a lucky card?

I should be studying.

7950 sure overclocks...or did they just get a lucky card?

its a known overclocker... all amd cards are really.

here you go overclocked bench. its just that 7950 = r9 280

7950 overclocked seems to perform closer to a GTX 770 than a GTX 760. Who was saying a GTX 760 would beat the 7950?

I should be studying.

its a known overclocker... all amd cards are really.

Yeah wow. That is a great value then. Hopefully this will make Nvidia counter with a lower in price of the GTX 760. Gotta love competition.

I should be studying.

7950 overclocked seems to perform closer to a GTX 770 than a GTX 760. Who was saying a GTX 760 would beat the 7950?

at stock it does, in some games. problem is, when overclocked, 7950 performs more like 7970. 7970 is great overclocker also, and beats 770 also.

Yeah wow. That is a great value then. Hopefully this will make Nvidia counter with a lower in price of the GTX 760. Gotta love competition.

about, wow half a year ago probaly, even more, you could find 7950 ( xfx edition<-bad oc tho, sometime sapphire , more rarely others) for like 200 bucks. best p/p card out there really. then miners came and inflated.

I'm not terribly familiar with this website, but it at least has both R9 280 and GTX 760 benchmarks

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/67581-sapphire-radeon-r9-280-dual-x/

Looks like they trade blows, beating each other in certain games. I'm not a huge fan of the games they benchmarked (Just Cause 2 but not Metro: Last Light or BF4?) but from their somewhat limited list, there seemed to be slightly more AMD wins at 1080p. Looking at PC Part Picker's American prices currently, you can apparently get a 760 for slightly cheaper than the 280.

I'd say they're very close in terms of price to performance, and you couldn't really go wrong picking one over the other.

at stock it does, in some games. problem is, when overclocked, 7950 performs more like 7970. 7970 is great overclocker also, and beats 770 also.

about, wow half a year ago probaly, even more, you could find 7950 ( xfx edition<-bad oc tho, sometime sapphire , more rarely others) for like 200 bucks. best p/p card out there really.

Thanks for the info. Very strong comeback for AMD. Due to inflated prices, AMD has been out of the mid to high end GPU ring for a while now. Good to finally see their comback.

I should be studying.

I'm not terribly familiar with this website, but it at least has both R9 280 and GTX 760 benchmarks

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/67581-sapphire-radeon-r9-280-dual-x/

Looks like they trade blows, beating each other in certain games. I'm not a huge fan of the games they benchmarked (Just Cause 2 but not Metro: Last Light or BF4?) but from their somewhat limited list, there seemed to be slightly more AMD wins at 1080p. Looking at PC Part Picker's American prices currently, you can apparently get a 760 for slightly cheaper than the 280.

I'd say they're very close in terms of price to performance, and you couldn't really go wrong picking one over the other.

yes, but lets not miss this :)

OC1.png

This might actually make me switch over to the red team for once

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Yeah, I can speak for the 7950/280 being a decent chunk more powerful. With mine clocked to 1075MHz I get pretty much stock 7970/GTX 680 performance.

I'm not sure why people think a 760 is similar in performance...

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Yeah, I can speak for the 7950/280 being a decent chunk more powerful. With mine clocked to 1075MHz I get pretty much stock 7970/GTX 680 performance.

That is awesome.

I should be studying.

They probably think that because at stock, benchmarks indicate they are quite similar in performance. 

Yeah, there seems to be quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that the 7950/280 overclocks a bit better than the 760, but it's not like we have a wealth of hard data.