Is it really broken or am I dense? You tell me.

Budget (including currency): Bottom dollar, or using what is available and replacing as necessary in future.

Country: 'Merica *bald eagle screech in the distance instills majesty*

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: NAS/Storage for datalogs and tuning files.

Other details: 
TLDWR (too long dont want to read); I'm trying to build my first nas with leftover pieces, and budget hardware but need guidance as well as someone to test my spare motherboard. MPG z390 gaming pro carbon. Secondly, I have 0 hecking clue what I am doing, and would love guidance on how to do it effectively, what would be necessary to build one, and keep it maintained in a terrible pc environment (dust, vapors, you name it we got it). 

Hey! Im JD and I work in the performance automotive industry, specializing in domestic v8 building and tuning. Cool, what does that mean here? I end up with a plethora of pdf instructional documents and anecdotal notes, that I would like to begin organized storage and easy access to it. On the other hand we also accrue a large stash of datalog files, too large to store locally on our devices that would be lovely to keep for future reference or C.Y.A factor when a customer has an issue, I can pull a file and improve my ability to diagnose or provide insight into potential issues. 

So... what do I need? Thanks for asking. 

I'm trying to piece together, what i believe would be a NAS. I would like remote access if I can from home, however being able to transfer over network in the same building is a necessity, home access is not. I am using leftover pieces from my first few PC builds that I have kept for rainy days or tinkering interests alike, which leads me to my first need.

1: I have a spare MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon. It was purchased as a good working board, however on arrival I could not get it to post and replaced it with another of the same board, so it got shelved. Everything looks visually fine (pins, traces,etc), but I am a tinkerer and not an IT/PC wizard like some folks here. It could be a simple issue, it may be detrimental. I am just hoping to find a trustworthy service or individual I can have test the board for me.

2: I have no idea where to begin with hardware/software and reading just makes things more confusing sometimes. I am a total newb when it comes to storage systems and simpler is better for me and the others who would use the system. Therefore, a simple software/os would be lovely. Stable is a necessity as there is no to minimal downtime for service. While I am semi-competent and have built my own PC's and service regularly, this is a nas in a shop with no IT department. Just a nerd who sees a need lol.

3: Hardware! My plan is to reuse the aforementioned z390 if it is good, and I have a spare case with disk drives. From there, I am lost. Is there a special bit of hardware I should include, or need for QoL, or do I just jam this punk full of drives, boot up the recomended OS and just let it rip?

A serious thanks in advance to anyone who not only takes the time to read my word spew stew, but provides some insight and education on the topic. ❤️

7 hours ago, avantlyfe said:

1: I have a spare MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon. It was purchased as a good working board, however on arrival I could not get it to post and replaced it with another of the same board, so it got shelved. Everything looks visually fine (pins, traces,etc), but I am a tinkerer and not an IT/PC wizard like some folks here. It could be a simple issue, it may be detrimental. I am just hoping to find a trustworthy service or individual I can have test the board for me.

You didn't get it RMA'd? It might actually be a dead on arrival, do you have any spare Coffee Lake or Coffee Lake Refresh CPU to test it, alongside a RAM and a PSU? Getting it sold as is on Ebay could be a better off path really because really if you have no idea about its condition its as good as useless.

In terms of cheapest way to NAS? First option would be to check the clearance section of NAS for entry level 4 bay Asustor or Synology NAS which would be dime a dozen. Pick whichever cheapest available in this case. Second option would be to use TrueNAS on a Dell Optiplex.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

12 hours ago, SorryBella said:

You didn't get it RMA'd? It might actually be a dead on arrival, do you have any spare Coffee Lake or Coffee Lake Refresh CPU to test it, alongside a RAM and a PSU? Getting it sold as is on Ebay could be a better off path really because really if you have no idea about its condition its as good as useless.

In terms of cheapest way to NAS? First option would be to check the clearance section of NAS for entry level 4 bay Asustor or Synology NAS which would be dime a dozen. Pick whichever cheapest available in this case. Second option would be to use TrueNAS on a Dell Optiplex.

I bought the board "used, tested and in good working order" so there is no process for me with manufacturer, hence why I'm looking third party. Seller was no help with a return/refund so I jut kept it. I do not have a spare processor, but I have tried swapping ram, psu, and all other components. My other systems are all newer unfortunately. 

31 minutes ago, avantlyfe said:

I bought the board "used, tested and in good working order" so there is no process for me with manufacturer, hence why I'm looking third party. Seller was no help with a return/refund so I jut kept it. I do not have a spare processor, but I have tried swapping ram, psu, and all other components. My other systems are all newer unfortunately. 

It's probably not worth pursuing a diagnosis and possible repair if you don't already have a compatible CPU.

You might explore pre built NAS. They are typically plug and play and entry level units are not that expensive. But if you really want to build it yourself you will need to get a new motherboard, CPU, and likely memory. Something like TrueNAS CORE is a no cost o/s option.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 hours ago, brob said:

It's probably not worth pursuing a diagnosis and possible repair if you don't already have a compatible CPU.

You might explore pre built NAS. They are typically plug and play and entry level units are not that expensive. But if you really want to build it yourself you will need to get a new motherboard, CPU, and likely memory. Something like TrueNAS CORE is a no cost o/s option.

Really? I was hoping it was as simple as a pin or bios compatibility issue I wasn't noticing. There are local places, but I don't know who woul be trustworthy. 

Perhaps it is just time to ditch the box of spares and buy something proper. I was just hoping to use what I have, 8/9 gen processors were looking cheap on ebay, and i had some old ddr4 sticks, so assuming my mobo was saveable it looked cost effective to source drives and a cpu. 

22 minutes ago, avantlyfe said:

Really? I was hoping it was as simple as a pin or bios compatibility issue I wasn't noticing. There are local places, but I don't know who woul be trustworthy. 

Perhaps it is just time to ditch the box of spares and buy something proper. I was just hoping to use what I have, 8/9 gen processors were looking cheap on ebay, and i had some old ddr4 sticks, so assuming my mobo was saveable it looked cost effective to source drives and a cpu. 

The motherboard has 4 debug LED, CPU, memory, VGA, and boot. Were any of these LED light when powering up?

If it was a BIOS issue it's unlikely the replacement board would have worked. If I remember correctly only the 9000 series CPU didn't work with the initial BIOS.

Bent LGA pins are apparent with a visual inspection. If you don't see any, that likely isn't the problem. If you do see one or more, repairs are tricky. You might be able to find someone to attempt a repair.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

23 minutes ago, brob said:

The motherboard has 4 debug LED, CPU, memory, VGA, and boot. Were any of these LED light when powering up?

If it was a BIOS issue it's unlikely the replacement board would have worked. If I remember correctly only the 9000 series CPU didn't work with the initial BIOS.

Bent LGA pins are apparent with a visual inspection. If you don't see any, that likely isn't the problem. If you do see one or more, repairs are tricky. You might be able to find someone to attempt a repair.

Yeah it would through the dram light. I tried multiple ddr4 kits (two g skill kits trident z and a sniper kit, different speeds, and I believe the third was corsair but I'd have to look again to see what it was) to no avail, swapped most anything. Just hard to think it's DOA without some conformation, which is why I hesitate to make it e waste lol. 

There were no obvious bent pins, but I am not experienced in identifying in case one was lightly bent and not making contact, but like you said I didn't see one, likely wasn't the issue.