BEST Mirrorless camera for a beginner under $1000? (Preferably under $700, in case it does not come with a lens)

Purpose: Mostly night photography, like you know those cool korean cyberpunk type of night photos. Will also be doing some in house shots during the daytime. Multi purpose, but mostly for night street photography

I've only heard of these two brands, Sony and Fujifilm making good mirrorless camera's under that budget but I don't know anything about cameras and they have multiple models which I can't differentiate between and find a good contender. Would appreciate some input. Thanks.

Fuji has a great selection for small and fast (and most times affordable) lenses, so I'd stick with that. Most of the models have the same sensor, so the biggest differantiator is the physical size and the number of physical controls instead of software.

Are you open to buying used?

If new is a must, XT30 II seems like a good and the only option, you can get a kit with a 15-45 f3.5 lens (which isn't ideal for night though, but could be worse) for around a 1000$.
If used is an option, maybe take a look at a used X-E4 if you like small, or an XT3 for example, or a used XT30 II with a couple of faster lenses e.g. a 35 f2 or a lot of other stuff thats available. If you prefer, websites like keh.com and mpb.com offer a lot of used gear and they'll test it before offering it and you have a warranty, so you pay less for tested used stuff, but it's a tad more expensive than jumping onto some forums or craigslist and getting your gear from there.

General rule: the lens will have a way bigger impact in the night for image quality than the body. So spend accordingly.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

a6400 + sigma primes (16mm 1.4 or 23mm 1.4 or 30mm 1.4 or 56mm 1.4 whichever will suit you best)

or the equivalent Fuji as noted above, Sigma sells their primes on Fuji Xmount now. The sigma primes are killer for these cameras, nothing else is close for the price

Jam on through to the other side

Sony a6400 (body only) for $748 on Amazon right now (deal).

But... since you're mostly aiming for night photography... you can really buy any camera.

The a6400 happens to be going for a great discount right now.

If you go with Sony, then a Sigma prime lens like the 16mm F/1.4 ($388) would be the obvious next choice (or their 30mm F/1.4 for $285)

Unfortunately it goes over your budget a little bit, but this is a great value combo for a very modern and functional mirrorless camera body (amazing autofocus!!!) and an incredibly sharp lens.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems like a tough choice rn choosing between the xt30ii and the a6400. I've researched more into lenses and they seem to get more expensive, so I guess I'll just make do with the stock lens and not bother getting a new one that's specifically for night photography, cuz after all I'm just a beginner.

7 hours ago, bxrzerker said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems like a tough choice rn choosing between the xt30ii and the a6400. I've researched more into lenses and they seem to get more expensive, so I guess I'll just make do with the stock lens and not bother getting a new one that's specifically for night photography, cuz after all I'm just a beginner.

Just take comfort in the knowledge they are both great cameras. The Fuji is great for JPEG shooting as it has modes which simulate the look of some of Fuji's old film. Once you feel more comfortable with photography and figure it's something you want to take further, you can always consider more lenses at a later point. 

Jam on through to the other side

15 hours ago, bxrzerker said:

You shouldn't put too much thought into lenses until you're very experienced with photography.

The Sigma prime lenses are Sony are great because they are insanely sharp at their price, and they have very wide apertures which is precisely something you want for night photography.

edit: oh I guess the Sigmas are available for Fujifilm too. Looks like it may come down to Fujifilm's body handling ergonomics and JPEG color science versus Sony's autofocus and features but mediocre menu system (I personally don't mind it).

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |