Which CPU(s) to buy???

Hello all, i have two dell OptiPlex's (a 7010 with 3rd gen i7 and a 790 with 2nd gen i5).
I am looking to upgrade their CPUs, but want some opinions first.

This is to my knowledge all the cpus that will work in these machines:
LGA 1155 cpu list – all processors Intel: Xeon, Core I7,Core I5, Core I3, Pentium, Celeron – FCLGA1155 socket (specifications) – CPU-LIST.COM

The 7010 is being used as a server (for Virtual Machines and data ingest from Hard Drives and the like to images on a separate NAS)
The 790 is being used for small games, content creation, etc. (will have rx550 i think eventually 🙂)

I've never used Xeon so if anyone has experience, please let me know how they perform and how they compare to intel core CPUs.
I'm open to any and all suggestions.

7 minutes ago, Basshead said:

I've never used Xeon so if anyone has experience, please let me know how they perform and how they compare to intel core CPUs.

They're Core series chips with ECC support and usually lower clock speeds. You can just compare the clock speed of the similar SKU (I.E. a 4 core 8 thread Xeon to an i7 of that same generation) and figure out the performance difference as all other factors should be the same. If you need ECC support or if you're saving a significant amount of money, get the Xeon. If they're the same price and you don't care about ECC, get whichever is clocked higher (usually the Core chip). 

As for which ones to get, look to see what you can find. If you can find an i7 3770(K) for cheap, go for that as it will be the best performing CPU you can get in the socket. If you can't look to see what you can find. 

on the regular dell mobo can i overclock the k chip?