Ryzen 7 5700X OEM Vs. Ryzen 7 5700X Non - OEM?

What’s the difference? Can anyone tell me? Thanks in advance!

As far as iI know, the main difference is the price...

Also, the 5700X usually comes with a Wraith Stealth cooler, I think the OEM doesn't include one.

Hope that helps.

I assume the oem ones are basically just tray models

Basically oem dont come with a cooler (tray) and non oem comes with a dinky wraith stealth which is quite worthless anyways for cooling

Id just go oem to save money and dumpster dive or pay 2$ for a cheap 775 copper core and ziptie onto the cpu instead of a basically useless wraith stealth thatll barely cool anything

16 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I assume the oem ones are basically just tray models

Basically oem dont come with a cooler (tray) and non oem comes with a dinky wraith stealth which is quite worthless anyways for cooling

Id just go oem to save money and dumpster dive or pay 2$ for a cheap 775 copper core and ziptie onto the cpu instead of a basically useless wraith stealth thatll barely cool anything

Wraith Stealth is at least better than that, cmon.

Thermalright Assassin King 120 SE CPU Air Cooler, AK120 SE, 5 Heatpipes, AGHP technology TL-C12C PWM Quiet Fan CPU Cooler With S-FDB Bearing, for AMD AM4 AM5/Intel 1150/1151/1200/1700, PC Cooler - Newegg.com

Hard to argue with against anything else in terms of value.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

4 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

5700x does not come with a cooler as a minor note unless its a third party bundle with a boxed wraith from a reseller.

Which is fine as noted by  @Somerandomtechyboi since the v2 and v3 stealth coolers ( 3000/5000 chips) is shorter and lighter than the 1000/2000 stealth and just brute forces cooling with a loud faster fan. Its really barely able to keep a 3600 under wraps in an open bench.

Take 15-20 bucks and basically buy literally any cooler - thermal right has a ton in the 15-25 dollar price point at least in my local market.

Also are we sure its a 5700X OEM ? I was under the impression the 5700 ( Non-X) was OEM only, and the 5700X was retail Only.

Not Saying you are not right, I have just yet to see a 5700X OEM

I ask because the 5700 has half the cache, and despite the higher base clock is about 10% slower than the 5700X at the same power draw. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4968vs4814/AMD-Ryzen-7-5700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5700X

5600g/5700g are a different batch of fabrication, they're not MCM and are a monolithic die. The 5500 as an example is basically an F SKU of this chip, 5700 appears to be the same.

Yes they're not worth it compared to the latter with the inferior L3 cache, but that's the nature of the architecture and the sacrifices they make to add such a large iGPU.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

16 minutes ago, Agall said:

Wraith Stealth is at least better than that, cmon.

Nah

Intel copper core can keep an oced core 2 pretty cool, 4ghz e8400 at 1.26v only hitting like 70c ish, im pretty sure a wraith stealth will pale in comparison to a 775 copper core you can dumpster drive for free or buy for a couple $

17 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

Take 15-20 bucks and basically buy literally any cooler - thermal right has a ton in the 15-25 dollar price point at least in my local market.

^^^

For the dudes wanting to cut every corner ziptieing a 775 copper core will also suffice, i mean free/2$ is quite abit cheaper than 15-20$

20 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

I ask because the 5700 has half the cache, and despite the higher base clock is about 10% slower than the 5700X at the same power draw

You mean the 5700g?

Half cache is why its slower, ill have to do some testing with optimal ram configs, problably some sort of high speed >4800 dual rank hynix djr config instead of some generic 3200 xmp kit, im pretty sure that a proper ram config will benifit these cezzane chips judging by how the 5800x3d is pretty much unaffected by >3200 rams, though ill get around to that once theres a tray 5500 available or 5500 drops in price cause tray 5600 are only 10$ more and it makes alot more sense considering i dont need to get a good ram oc board to extract max performance and no need for ram fan

28 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

Additionally : rambling about tests you want to do based on hunches and supposition don't seem to be really aimed at helping OP?
It also seems a bit silly to try and save pennies on the CPU, but buy expensive ram to maybe just tie the standard 5700X running cheap ram as you just suggested. You are paying 2-3 times more for a 4800mhz ram kit than you are for a Gskill ripjaws 3200/3600 kit (37 USD for 2x8 3200CL16, 46 for 2x8 3600CL16) VS 100-150 dollars for basically any brand of 4800 on amazon currently

I was not reffering to buying one of those high bin xmp kits, youd be a retard if you bought one of those =p

I was reffering to buying some lower binned rams, maybe klevv 3600 or some oem hma82gu6djr8n, ironically a shit ton cheaper than buying a generic 32gb 3200 kit while being a ton faster when tuned to those 4600+ speeds

28 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

I do not condone zip tie mounting a 19 year old cooler to a modern chip personally.

You can do it, but its pretty sketchy. I doubt you are going to get to the best mount out of this. 

LGA 1336 uses nearly the same mounting mechanism as 775 and it specs nearly 70LBS force mounting pressure at the top end. 

Id rather spend a few dollars and just get a cooler that works.

Specsheet specsheets yada yada

Tell that to me gravity mounting my h212 evo ontop of my cpus for testing, focus on the real world and not some specsheet

Oh and i do infact have a 1366 board and an x5650, im just using my dinky 92mm alseye 4 heatpipe to cool the thing, mounting mechanism is literally just pushpins, paste is some cheap ass gd007, oced to 4.2ghz at 1.35v llc off, rams are at 1900 (6x4 d9qbj), uncore is at 3400, vtt at 1.45. Yet the cooler with that crappy mounting system is still able to adequately cool the x5650, i guess my gd900 is a bad batch hence awful temps with my gravity mount h212 unable to go past 4ghz but being able to maintain around 90c at 4.2ghz in prime95 smallest ffts with a crummy mounting system and it being a dinky 92mm is pretty damn impressive, again specsheets dont reflect reality

5 hours ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

As far as iI know, the main difference is the price...

Also, the 5700X usually comes with a Wraith Stealth cooler, I think the OEM doesn't include one.

Hope that helps.

What’s the price difference?

5 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

For the dudes wanting to cut every corner ziptieing a 775 copper core will also suffice, i mean free/2$ is quite abit cheaper than 15-20$

Cooling is not an issue, as I have an ordered Deepcool LS 520 SE WH coming.

6 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

Also are we sure its a 5700X OEM ? I was under the impression the 5700 ( Non-X) was OEM only, and the 5700X was retail Only.

Not Saying you are not right, I have just yet to see a 5700X OEM

As for this comment, please not two things. 1. It was a CPU and Mobo combo from Microcenter in which the CPU was pre-installed on the motherboard, and 2. The CPU and Mobo combo did not come with the CPU’s original box / accessories. The link is below if you want to check it out.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/650543/Ryzen_7_5700X_OEM_Heatsink_Not_Included),_MSI_X570-A_Pro_AM4_ATX_AMD_CPU-Motherboard_Combo

Note: Upon further inspection, it seems that the OEM part just means that there is no heatsink included, as such that is the only difference between this Microcenter 5700X OEM and a non OEM 5700X, correct?

9 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

The 5700x does not come with a heatsink retail either. It's just a CPU, in a clamshell in a box that's mostly air.

So yes this seems like it would be the same, just without a box. Having the actual link with the mfp# is helpful as it just resolves to the 5700x product sheet from amd.

I don't even need it but for 229 bucks that seems like a great price for an x570a with a CPU despite that particular boards limitations.

That’s why I bought it! But do you mind telling me, A. So the OEM part just means that it’s basically just the cpu only without the box and accessories, right? And B. What are the specific limitations of this board that you mentioned? I figured that this board must not be like a top of the line X570 bc of the price, but then I looked on eBay, and they’re still selling for like 140-200 USD

2 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

1. Since this one is a direct interchange according to the MPN there's no difference. In the past ( like 10+ years ago) OEM versions of chips were sometimes limited ( lower TDP, less cache, or lower clocks). It just comes on a plastic or cardboard tray. Typically though OEM versions of CPU's Do have a shorter warranty duration than a boxed retail processor - this may have changed now, but in the past the tray chips only had around 12-18 months, where a boxed CPU had 36 usually. 

2. This is one of few x570 boards that does not allow the functionality of ECC memory - it will boot with uDimm ECC, it just wont use it. Its also ironically one of the few "pro" series boards which are typically stripped down boards looking to target more office use cases or SI builds... that does not support ECC. Even the cheap 80-90 Dollar Pro MATX b550 boards from MSI and asus and gigabyte support ECC ( and have it functional) 

It also oddly for x570 does not have internal bifurcation on the x16 length slots ( to run each in 8 lanes for cross fire, MGPU, or storage controllers) The PCIE_3 slot is only 4 lanes of 3.0. 

It also does not fully drive the PCIE slots : you can't use all the slots, as slot 2/4 share the same connection to the chipset. IE you can only use one of these slots at a time.

Admittedly these are niche case things... But I still find it odd to cut mostly the usable value add features on x570. It has less sata ports than my b550 board, its missing front panel type C header. Top VRM stage heatsink extends outside of the ATX board dimensions for what purpose I do not know as those are usually the power stages for the IO chip/ Ram and IGP, which don't really need heatsinks... It's just an odd board at least for my usage. It's probably fine for other people.

Ok, first off, man am I glad the OEM and Non OEM 5700XS are the same. I was worried that I was getting a worse CPU or had no warranty on the chip or smth like that. And next, my plan was to sell the X570-A Pro for like $170 on eBay or something, and then use that to buy an Asus B550-A, since I’m going for a white build anyway. Is it worth it to do that?

Just means no cooler and no warranty, as the SI was expected to manage both of these aspects.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Mister Woof said:

Just means no cooler and no warranty, as the SI was expected to manage both of these aspects.

SI?

1 hour ago, Mister Woof said:

And no warranty?

1 hour ago, micha_vulpes said:

That board is going to be a hard sell open box / used.

Brand new with free shipping it's 139 on Amazon. So you have to under cut that price. It will cost about 15-20 dollars to ship the board, and ebay takes 14% of the total sale now.

You'd be looking to clear about 70-80 bucks tops.

It's essentially a free motherboard though, given the cost of a 5700x ( normally). If one is not building out a cheap workstation it's probably a fine board.

Not the answer I’m looking for… that’s rough. But a family member offered to pay for my aio, so I might as well spend the like 50 or 60 extra bucks if I find a good deal on a B550-A. Are used mobos fine to use if they are still working?