Will 450W PSU be enough for PowerColor Radeon™ RX 5700 XT?

Andrewxe
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

5700XT consumes up to 220 watts. For very short periods of time (like milliseconds at a time), it peaks to 250 watts. 

The 9400F can consume up to around 100-110 watts in heavy CPU benchmarks, while gaming maybe a bit less. 

Everything else in your system (fans , mechanical hard drives if any, 12v rgb leds), add another 20-30 watts on 12v output. 

So you need a power supply that can supply at LEAST 250w + 100w + 50w = 400w on 12v output.   That's a minimum of 400w / 12v = 33.3A on 12v. 

Look on the label and see if your power supply can supply this much power on 12v. 

Keep in mind also that some models were only rated for continuous power at 30c ambient and if the temperature around the power supply goes over 30c you are supposed to derate the power supply by around 10-20%, making it a 360-400w power supply.

So will it work? Probably yes, because when you're gaming your CPU is not gonna be pegged at 100% so it's not gonna consume 100w. Same for the video card, it's not really gonna consume 220 watts all the time.  

BUT, your psu will run at close to 100% when you're gaming and that's not good, considering it's a budget psu where they cheaped out on lots of things...

Ideally though, you should aim for at least a 600-650w power supply, which can provide at least 500 watts on 12v output.

Yeah, it will work.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

It will work, technicly. I mean it will boot and goes into windows, web browse and everything. But you might experience issues when gaming. 

Thoses calculator aren't precise, and doesn't account for a lot of things, including power efficiency losses, and most importantly power spikes, aka transient power. 
And GPUs does that. 

It can range from just overdrawing (which result in heat and/or power unefficiency), your GPU underperforming, game crashing to a straight power cut for safety reasons. (But no, it will not burn or explode)

PSU calculators only account for the max TDP, which always overestimate the actual power usage.

And suggested PSU by GPU manufacturer is based on the highest power draw of the current CPU, basically they are covering their asses by suggesting the minimum capacity if you have one of those CPUs.

While gaming, your power draw may range somewhere between 300-400W, including mild OC by the GPU manufacturer, so strictly speaking from power draw, it is okay.

However, the PSU is low quality and has to be quite old by now. Safety is quite a concern here. I'd advise against it.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Orange or white label vs450? Your link doesnt work.

Orange = hard no it will end badly

White = potentially it shuts off around 400w

What are your other specs? As in silly things like nr of case fans

5700XT consumes up to 220 watts. For very short periods of time (like milliseconds at a time), it peaks to 250 watts. 

The 9400F can consume up to around 100-110 watts in heavy CPU benchmarks, while gaming maybe a bit less. 

Everything else in your system (fans , mechanical hard drives if any, 12v rgb leds), add another 20-30 watts on 12v output. 

So you need a power supply that can supply at LEAST 250w + 100w + 50w = 400w on 12v output.   That's a minimum of 400w / 12v = 33.3A on 12v. 

Look on the label and see if your power supply can supply this much power on 12v. 

Keep in mind also that some models were only rated for continuous power at 30c ambient and if the temperature around the power supply goes over 30c you are supposed to derate the power supply by around 10-20%, making it a 360-400w power supply.

So will it work? Probably yes, because when you're gaming your CPU is not gonna be pegged at 100% so it's not gonna consume 100w. Same for the video card, it's not really gonna consume 220 watts all the time.  

BUT, your psu will run at close to 100% when you're gaming and that's not good, considering it's a budget psu where they cheaped out on lots of things...

Ideally though, you should aim for at least a 600-650w power supply, which can provide at least 500 watts on 12v output.