Monitor loses signal after resolution change

I have 2 monitors, one a 1080p 144hz monitor, and the other being a Dell 1909w monitor with a max resolution of 1440x900p, which I used a VGA to HDMI adapter with. I use this older monitor as just a secondary one for Discord, Spotify, Youtube, etc.  

I had a GTX 1070 for over a year now with no issues. However, I recently upgraded to a ZOTAC Geforce RTX 3060 12gb. This card has only one HDMI port, with the rest being DisplayPort. Naturally, I ordered a VGA to DisplayPort adapter, which I am using currently. However, my monitor was not turning on and, through some troubleshooting, I realized that my monitor, in order for it to turn on, can no longer display its max resolution of 1440x900p, and now maxes out at 1280x1024p. I have tried all the different display ports, updated my graphics card, monitor, and cable drivers, and it still loses signal if the resolution goes beyond 1280x1024p.

I would really appreciate some help! Thank you! 

image_2023-07-09_165533547.png

Try using the DVI-D port on your Dell monitor connected to a DP to DVI-D adapter or cable

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build

This is usually due to the adapter not reporting correctly your monitor's resolution to Windows.

If the native resolution of your monitor is not available in Windows, there is not much you can do except trying another adapter. I used DP to VGA adapter cables in the past without issues.