Help needed with installing software for Netgear ReadyNAS Duo.

Tarl72

HHHEEELLLPPP!!!

I bought a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo V1 (label claims it's a V2!), populated it with 2 2TB HDDs and installed the correct software without too many problems. Unfortunately, I'm not really getting on with the software it uses as there is limited security and I have to reset my internet security setting every time I use it and I have to use Internet Explorer (yes, IE not Edge or anything more modern). I've downloaded TruNAS but I could really use some help getting it to run as I can't get it to even install at the moment. Does anyone have a SIMPLE 'how too...' guide, or be willing to walk me through it, please?

Many thanks,

Tarl.

Those devices look like there not designed to have a different os installed on them, so your need to buy a newer nas to get new software.

I don't see a video out or serial port, and that would be needed to boot into the installer of a different os. Also the hardware likely isn't up to spec for truenas. Here is someone else who tried and failed.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:31 PM, Tarl72 said:

HHHEEELLLPPP!!!

I bought a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo V1 (label claims it's a V2!), populated it with 2 2TB HDDs and installed the correct software without too many problems. Unfortunately, I'm not really getting on with the software it uses as there is limited security and I have to reset my internet security setting every time I use it and I have to use Internet Explorer (yes, IE not Edge or anything more modern). I've downloaded TruNAS but I could really use some help getting it to run as I can't get it to even install at the moment. Does anyone have a SIMPLE 'how too...' guide, or be willing to walk me through it, please?

Many thanks,

Tarl.

You are trying to install TrueNAS, which is a NAS filesystem to run on x86-64 architecture onto a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo V1, which is a proprietary NAS from 2011.  It has 256MB of DDR and a single core SPARC processor.

In this page in the NetGear community they have found a way to update the SMB daemon to enable it to work with Win10 and above shares, but not much else.

If you feel that working through the Linux command line is too much of an ask, get rid of that ancient NAS and put together something more recent.