iFixit Kits - Do you rate them?

I've been looking at the screwdriver kits. Are they as good as they appear? Thanks.

I have the Pro Tech toolkit, have had it for like 6-7 years, well worth the money, I use it all the time. If you're just looking for the screwdriver and bits kit, they're really good quality, I've considered buying a smaller kit to keep in my car or something

I also have the OG Pro Tech kit(grey roll), and I know people who have the newer kit(black roll), they're both excellent.

As far as the screwdriver and bits kit goes, my brother has just that and it's fine for all the smaller things he needs it for. Personally, I enjoy some of the things that the older kit has - such as a torque bar and a bendable extension - that the newer kit does not have.

Overall, it's hard to go wrong with buying one, and I've only encountered one tech repair that my kit didn't have all the necessary tools for. I've been using mine pretty regularly for the last 7-8 years.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Their screwdrivers and bits aren't really any better than any other kit you can pick up from china but their pry tools are typically above average quality. 

Yeah the pry tools are useful, even for non-tech things. I used one of the little triangle spudgers to tuck in some weather stripping on my car recently.

7 hours ago, LumpyEarthling said:

I've been looking at the screwdriver kits. Are they as good as they appear? Thanks.

Their kits are very convenient.

Good balance of affordable without being trash.

My advice would be to look into Wiha's selection for your most commonly used bits. I use an iFixit kit at work, and tolerances of some of the metric bits leave a lot to be desired. Or if you have the money, just buy Wiha's kits. It's not as exhaustively comprehensive though.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

11 hours ago, LumpyEarthling said:

Got myself a Pro Tech kit several years ago, still holds up nicely. I'd say the screwdriver and bits are "good enough" to decent quality, though admittedly I have little frame of reference there.

I'd say it really depends on your needs: do you need a kit for the occasional electronics work or light work at home? Then it will be more than fine.

16 hours ago, LumpyEarthling said:

I have one of the really old tool kits. In my opinion it's a no brainer, they are worth every penny. The tools feel solid, and at least the kit I got has all the bits I'll ever need. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 7/8/2023 at 11:15 AM, Needfuldoer said:

Has anyone here tried Harbor Freight's knockoff version of the iFixit Pro Tech kit?

https://www.harborfreight.com/electronics-repair-kit-87-piece-59258.html

I got something very similar looking years ago, has worked fine for me. It was something along the lines of the below (most of it looks exactly the same as the stuff in this link). Had zero problems with any of it (the longer pry things were a bit crap but still usable), and it was on offer for about £12 at the time so somewhere around $15 US.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XOOL-Precision-Screwdriver-Professional-Electronics/dp/B0BFL7TJW4