5800x3d vs 5900x - Upgrade for current 3950x build

shukero
Go to solution Solved by QuantumSingularity,

Both CPUs are on the both ends of the scale - the 5800X3D is a gaming monster, the 5900X is productivity monster. If your main goal is gaming and recording/streaming and everything else comes second - get the 5800X3D. 

Budget (including currency): unlimited

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Escape From Tarkov (EFT), Diablo 4, BattleBit Remastered, Beat Saber, Star Citizen, OBS (For streaming buffer / full background recording / streaming)

Other details Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact Mobo, 32gb DDR4 HyperX Kingston Ram (3200), 2 - 1tb Samsung 970 evo NVME ssd, corsair 240 AIO (Going to be switching it out for an NH-D15S OR newer model whenever that comes out), EVGA 2080 Super (Going to be switching this out for either a Radeon 7900xtx OR newer whenever it comes out), Windows 11 Pro 64bit

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a game plan for my next upgrade to my current system above. As per above, I think I've already decided on my move away from an AIO, as well as the upgrade for my GPU in the near future; but I'm stuck on which Ryzen 5000 series CPU to get.

I'm looking for something that is really good at gaming as well as recording said gaming session simultaneously. I'm also interested in streaming while gaming as well; All-be-it just to friends on discord / private youtube live streams. I've had my eye set on the 5900x, but I'm seeing some very good sales for the 5800X3D recently, and with its vastly superior gaming performance; my main concern would be if any of that performance would be sacrificed / if the 5900x would perform better for games if I were to record / stream while gaming.

Does anyone know which I would be better off with? Also, does anyone know if I'd need to install / do anything special when it comes to setup of my PC for the 5800X3D? (I know for the newer 7000 series X3D chips you have to run specific software at first so that they perform as they should)

Thanks,

Mike

2 minutes ago, shukero said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Escape From Tarkov (EFT), Diablo 4, BattleBit Remastered, Beat Saber, Star Citizen, OBS (For streaming buffer / full background recording / streaming)

Other details Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact Mobo, 32gb DDR4 HyperX Kingston Ram (3200), 2 - 1tb Samsung 970 evo NVME ssd, corsair 240 AIO (Going to be switching it out for an NH-D15S OR newer model whenever that comes out), EVGA 2080 Super (Going to be switching this out for either a Radeon 7900xtx OR newer whenever it comes out), Windows 11 Pro 64bit

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a game plan for my next upgrade to my current system above. As per above, I think I've already decided on my move away from an AIO, as well as the upgrade for my GPU in the near future; but I'm stuck on which Ryzen 5000 series CPU to get.

I'm looking for something that is really good at gaming as well as recording said gaming session simultaneously. I'm also interested in streaming while gaming as well; All-be-it just to friends on discord / private youtube live streams. I've had my eye set on the 5900x, but I'm seeing some very good sales for the 5800X3D recently, and with its vastly superior gaming performance; my main concern would be if any of that performance would be sacrificed / if the 5900x would perform better for games if I were to record / stream while gaming.

Does anyone know which I would be better off with? Also, does anyone know if I'd need to install / do anything special when it comes to setup of my PC for the 5800X3D? (I know for the newer 7000 series X3D chips you have to run specific software at first so that they perform as they should)

Thanks,

Mike

In short terms, the 5800X3D will perform better in games because of the 3D V-Cache and the 5900X will perform better in programs because of the slightly higher base and boost clocks and more cores. It's up to you to decide which one is worth getting.

5800X3D no doubt. If you arent using your RTX2080 to stream, then you are doing it wrong.

12 minutes ago, shukero said:

my main concern would be if any of that performance would be sacrificed

Nope.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If you need better game performance the 5800X3D will be a nice boost. 

If you need better multi core performance keep the CPU you have

Both CPUs are on the both ends of the scale - the 5800X3D is a gaming monster, the 5900X is productivity monster. If your main goal is gaming and recording/streaming and everything else comes second - get the 5800X3D. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

14 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Do you know if there is any "setup" required after installing a 5800X3D? I know for the 7000 series X3Ds you had to install specific drivers to make them perform to the best of their abilities.

55 minutes ago, shukero said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Mike

I'd just jump on the 7950x3D or 7800x3D instead at this point.

The 3D v-cache optimizer driver isn't required if you set the CPPC preference to 'cache'. It truly does give you the best of both worlds in that case. Otherwise the setting is in 'auto' which looks for the driver, 'cache' just prioritizes the 3D v-cache CCD (CCD0) with higher RAM and CPU current tasks until it needs to spill over into CCD1. 

I didn't notice any major performance advantage between a 7950x3D setup in that configuration and running CCD1 disabled, aka a pseudo 7800x3D. I ended up preferring the full 16c/32t configuration since I'd notice background tasks being offloaded to CCD1 and allowing for far better multithreading of background tasks.

If you're aiming high, I'd just go with the 7950x3D and save your 3950x AM4 platform for another project.

I went from a 3950x to 5800x3D then to 7950x3D, being on the 5800x3D made me miss the extra cores and I feel like you might fall into the same boat.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

16 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd just jump on the 7950x3D or 7800x3D instead at this point.

The 3D v-cache optimizer driver isn't required if you set the CPPC preference to 'cache'. It truly does give you the best of both worlds in that case. Otherwise the setting is in 'auto' which looks for the driver, 'cache' just prioritizes the 3D v-cache CCD (CCD0) with higher RAM and CPU current tasks until it needs to spill over into CCD1. 

I didn't notice any major performance advantage between a 7950x3D setup in that configuration and running CCD1 disabled, aka a pseudo 7800x3D. I ended up preferring the full 16c/32t configuration since I'd notice background tasks being offloaded to CCD1 and allowing for far better multithreading of background tasks.

If you're aiming high, I'd just go with the 7950x3D and save your 3950x AM4 platform for another project.

I went from a 3950x to 5800x3D then to 7950x3D, being on the 5800x3D made me miss the extra cores and I feel like you might fall into the same boat.

Not sure if you meant the cppc setting mentioned above pertains to the 5800 or just the 7000 series. Ive never used all the cores of the 3950x I have; which is why I'm "downgrading" in the cores department. If the 5800X3D is just a "plug and play" experience, I'd prefer the extra gaming prowess over core power.

8 minutes ago, shukero said:

Not sure if you meant the cppc setting mentioned above pertains to the 5800 or just the 7000 series. Ive never used all the cores of the 3950x I have; which is why I'm "downgrading" in the cores department. If the 5800X3D is just a "plug and play" experience, I'd prefer the extra gaming prowess over core power.

CPPC setting is specific to the dual CCD 7000x3D CPUs like the 7900x3D and 7950x3D. Its the only settings change required to make the 7900x3D and 7950x3D 'plug and play' like the 5800x3D or 7800x3D. Otherwise, the 7950x3D is on par if not better on average because of the extra core count and hybrid design with that setting.

If you're willing to sacrifice the core count, then sure. I personally thought so as well and ended up with some regret when some highly multithreaded workloads and/or multitasking was limited because of the 8c/16t of the 5800x3D. Something that going with the 7950x3D solved entirely. Its a niche product, but in that niche, its the best product by far.

Its been a largely unreported solution that I found on techpowerup's review pre-launch, who seemed to be the only review outlet that covered this UEFI setting and its advantages. The 3D v-cache optimizer driver is disabled when the CPPC setting is set to 'cache', where the 'auto' defaults to trying to use the driver.

In the scenario where you're just setting up a 7950x3D build, you can forego the driver entirely by using that setting, although, I'd recommend installing it anyways to be safe since Windows does weird stuff with the scheduler as well. You will have to have the CPPC setting in 'auto' though to actually install the 3D v-cache driver, I found out the hard way.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D Review - Best of Both Worlds - Test Setup | TechPowerUp

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Thanks for the reply - That makes a lot of sense.

I think I'm going to stick with my current AM4 platform, and just go for the CPU / CPU heatsink / GPU swap out to see where it gets me. Since (to my knowledge at least) I haven't utilized the multi-threading of the 3950x, I'm definitely going to go for the 5800X3D.

I'd really only be using it for game / "record that" functionality. I'm thinking that the 5800X3D should be good for that. If I decide to stream and see that I'm getting issues; at that point I might end up going to the AM5 platform a couple years down the road - but I'm pretty content with what I got now :3

19 hours ago, shukero said:

Do you know if there is any "setup" required after installing a 5800X3D? I know for the 7000 series X3Ds you had to install specific drivers to make them perform to the best of their abilities.

Nothing extra is required or needed to make that CPU perform well. The only additional thing that you can do is install a "custom" PBO2Tuner software to undervolt the 5800X3D, but that's only needed if you have a bad cooler and the CPU hits high temps even in gaming. With a good cooler, which we know the new Noctua D15 will be, it won't be a problem at all.

I tried that software out of curiousity, turns out i hit the silicon lottery cause my CPUs is reaching all the top values that are shown in videos and articles, but i haven't noticed ANY temperature reduction or clocks uplift or even Cinebench score improvement. At its default values it still stays under 80°C, boosting to its max frequency and spitting out the scores that people score with PBO2Tuner. All that was needed was to reconfigure my AIO properly to help it run optimally and no further tweaking was needed.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |