Rooting an Android device

Hello, i have a Lenovo tablet, and i want a more flexible use of it and not just as tablet, the model is:
Lenovo tab k10 TB-X6C6X
my idea is maybe to install a Linux distro, but i don't know much about Linux compatibilities with android devices.

if you know about it or know where to look for it, it would be awesome.
Many thanks 😄

off the top of my head (it's been a very long time since i needed to root a 'droid) You can go here:

https://www.xda-developers.com/

and

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tags/cyanogenmod/

These will allow you to put a custom rom on your tablet.  providing someone has made one for your device.  I guess you have to start there then look in to getting pure Linux on it

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

As far as Linux goes, you'd need a distro that has iso's for arm based systems. I know Fedora has one, so it'd probably work. That said, I don't know what to expect when it comes to installing a linux distro onto a tablet.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

I know I remember putting Ubuntu on a Nexus tablet a long time ago, and honestly it really wasn't that usable (coming from someone who uses Linux as a their daily OS) compared to Android for a tablet OS (*my opinion).

Before buying a device, I always look on XDA to see what kind of developer support it has, as I know I don't want to run the OEM software. Buying something and hoping for custom ROMs will come eventually is always a bad idea.

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I know I remember putting Ubuntu on a Nexus tablet a long time ago, and honestly it really wasn't that usable (coming from someone who uses Linux as a their daily OS) compared to Android for a tablet OS (*my opinion).

Before buying a device, I always look on XDA to see what kind of developer support it has, as I know I don't want to run the OEM software. Buying something and hoping for custom ROMs will come eventually is always a bad idea.

In all fairness though, Ubuntu has become hot garbage in recent years.

Between Ubuntu and Fedora, Fedora is much better. Honestly I'd even choose Debian, with its recent release of Debian 12 over Ubuntu (and on that note, Debian does have iso's made for arm based systems)

1 hour ago, Inception9269 said:

In all fairness though, Ubuntu has become hot garbage in recent years.

Hot take...It was always hot garbage (guess not for me, would be nicer). It brings people to Linux so that's good. I tried it many, many years ago, got tired of breaking my machine every other update, and moved on.

8 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Hot take...It was always hot garbage (guess not for me, would be nicer). It brings people to Linux so that's good. I tried it many, many years ago, got tired of breaking my machine every other update, and moved on.

First time I tried out Linux was way back in 2015 or 16 with Ubuntu (I switched to it cause the laptop I had back then was never updated by Samsung to support Windows 10, with it having major issues with that OS). I did not like Ubuntu or consider it to be a good experience, though in all fairness I didn't know jack shit about Linux back then, and how to use it. I did use Mint back then, which worked better, but I still didn't enjoy it much. It wasn't until February of last year that I properly set out to learn Linux, and I do consider myself to be a more advanced user now than how I used to be with it (I'd give myself at least a 6 or 7 out of 10 rating with it now. I'm no programmer though). I tried using Ubuntu several times in the past year and a half, and each and every time I was met with so many bugs and issues, that I have to go out of my way to encounter with many other distro's. Even Manjaro is one I'd rather use, and even that one is also very questionable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 7:20 AM, AnthoRufus said:

my idea is maybe to install a Linux distro

If that's your intention, I would check to see if it's already a supported/testing device on PostmarketOS's wiki here.

If not (and you already have some Linux experience), there's tooling maintained by the project that could help with porting.

It doesn't look like there's an official lineage image for your device yet, so porting may be a bit more difficult.    

The better bet is probably with picking up something like a used lenovo 10e and installing PMOS, but I did find it slow when my 10e worked