graphics issue with kali linux install...........

hi im having issues with the kali linux installer 

as you can see in the picture..............its rly bad as when i whent on the offical kali linux discord they didnt evan know what the issue is......

its not the install usb as i verifyed that its working corectly sevral times and have booted into kali with the live image........i just need to install it..........

20230623_171635[1].jpg

well its a laptop, a hp elightbook with a i7 somthing or other with 2 cores and 4 virtual prossesers, 12 gb ddr3 ram and a 500gb hdd

I haven't used kali but it might be worth it to try out a Fedora and/or Ubuntu live image to see if they have similar issues which may help you narrow it down (graphics driver issue? kernel issue? gnome issue? etc). ventoy might be helpful for this exercise.

On 6/29/2023 at 10:42 PM, scrumptious starfruit said:

I haven't used kali but it might be worth it to try out a Fedora and/or Ubuntu live image to see if they have similar issues which may help you narrow it down (graphics driver issue? kernel issue? gnome issue? etc). ventoy might be helpful for this exercise.

well fedora had no issues and i can try mint

See if you have better luck with an external monitor.  Do a kernel update once you're installed.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

• 3 weeks later...

your first mistake was installing Kali Linux. If you're just trying out Linux, why not use something like Fedora or Pop!_OS?

From what I've seen here, it seems like the graphics drivers included in Kali's kernel (Nouveau NVIDIA) does not like your GPU. What's your GPU specifically?

Just curious. Why are you using Kali? Are you an aspiring "penetration tester" or something along those lines?

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

20 hours ago, Xiee said:

Just curious. Why are you using Kali? Are you an aspiring "penetration tester" or something along those lines?

I don't think it would be very beneficial to belittle someone on their distro choice.

ioletsgo@Noir  
-------------  
Host: MS-7D54 1.0  
Kernel: 6.4.6-arch1-1  
Uptime: 6 hours, 46 mins  
Packages: 938 (pacman)  
Shell: bash 5.1.16  
Resolution: 1920x1080  
DE: Plasma 5.27.6  
WM: kwin  
Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]  
Icons: BeautyLine [Plasma], BeautyLine [GTK2/3]  
Terminal: konsole  
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (16) @ 3.400GHz  
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6400/6500 XT/6500M  
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT/6750 XT / 6800M/6850M XT  

On 6/28/2023 at 7:52 PM, Scorpion_3381 said:

hi im having issues with the kali linux installer 

as you can see in the picture..............its rly bad as when i whent on the offical kali linux discord they didnt evan know what the issue is......

its not the install usb as i verifyed that its working corectly sevral times and have booted into kali with the live image........i just need to install it..........

20230623_171635[1].jpg

Looks and sounds like the graphics drivers for the version of Kali Linux you put on your install media might've gotten messed up in some manner, are you on the Weekly build, if not, it probably wouldn't hurt to try it.

ioletsgo@Noir  
-------------  
Host: MS-7D54 1.0  
Kernel: 6.4.6-arch1-1  
Uptime: 6 hours, 46 mins  
Packages: 938 (pacman)  
Shell: bash 5.1.16  
Resolution: 1920x1080  
DE: Plasma 5.27.6  
WM: kwin  
Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]  
Icons: BeautyLine [Plasma], BeautyLine [GTK2/3]  
Terminal: konsole  
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (16) @ 3.400GHz  
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6400/6500 XT/6500M  
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT/6750 XT / 6800M/6850M XT  

On 7/29/2023 at 2:46 AM, ioletsgo said:

I don't think it would be very beneficial to belittle someone on their distro choice.

It's a legit question. Why do you assume I'm belittling?

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

• 3 weeks later...

You shouldn't be gaming with Kali Linux, it's not optimized for gaming and hardware support at all. This is a pentesting distro and the kernel is optimized more for packet capture rather than hardware.

18 hours ago, korewaChino said:

You shouldn't be gaming with Kali Linux, it's not optimized for gaming and hardware support at all.

Where did OP say they were gaming on the machine...? You understand that graphics drivers are for more than just gaming, correct? 

18 hours ago, korewaChino said:

This is a pentesting distro and the kernel is optimized more for packet capture rather than hardware.

What does "optimized more for packet capture" even mean? That makes zero sense. All Kali Linux is is a distro with pre-installed security tools.

Did you look at the original image OP posted? The screen is mangled and they can't see the install screen.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

I was having the same issue as you. Try changing your boot options to UEFI (with CSM). I use Kali Purple because I like data forensics, and I just got the cutest little elitebook revolve 810.

I am very curious, why are you trying to install Kali Linux? If other distros work well on your machine, why stick to trying to run Kali? Pen testing? Data forensics?