Best way to access/take control of my server?

Go to solution Solved by da na,
Just now, themaniac said:

I don't have windows pro unfortunately and I'd would rather not buy the pro upgrade for both systems.

Fair. I would recommend Teamviewer then

I've been slowly getting an old pc set up into an amalgamation of a nas/media server, server, streaming pc/encoding pc. And I wasnt sure what would be the best way to control it. Would it be best to get a teamviewer like program or should I just get a hdmi switch and have a dedicated mouse and keyboard for it? For the time being its gonna be windows and its gonna be mounted under my desk near my main pc so distance isnt an issue(if that could be an issue)

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, da na said:

If you're running Windows Pro on both, Remote Desktop is bundled with Windows and is incredibly easy to use. Intercompatible with all systems from XP Professional to 11 Pro.

I don't have windows pro unfortunately and I'd would rather not buy the pro upgrade for both systems.

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

On 6/30/2023 at 10:13 PM, MG2R said:

If it's local only, check out NoMachine as well. Performance is quite a bit better than teamviewer. Good enough to do game streaming, actually

Parsec works great for that too. 

On 6/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, da na said:

If you're running Windows Pro on both, Remote Desktop is bundled with Windows and is incredibly easy to use. Intercompatible with all systems from XP Professional to 11 Pro.

Doesn't need to be both systems. Only the RDP server has to be running Windows xx Pro. The RDP client can be whatever you like. For a single user machine, RDP is far and away the best user experience.

Barring an upgrade, I'd recommend VNC as your second choice protocol. TightVNC is free to use and runs well for me. Whether this is better than having a second monitor/keyboard/mouse is up to you.

Beyond those options, Wikipedia is a good source of ideas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

pikvm could be a good option that allows for power controls aswell although i havent used it myself. supermicro motherboards with ipmi really changed how i managed my home server but dose cost a premium.