Dusty/dirty m.2 slot

WestTexan
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,
10 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

My m.2 slot was so dirty. I used compressed air, I took a cotton bud, dipped it in isopropyl alcohol and dropped 5 droplets into the m.2 drive which I am not sure was a good idea now that I read it. 

Do you mean you used alcohol in the slot itself? That should be fine as long as it evaporates before power is applied again. Which the air should help speed that up too. Personally I would use a soft brush with some alcohol on it to clean that out. Take your pick, even clean toothbrush if you have too (softer than that would be better). However, don't scrub across the contacts of the slot, it would be easy to bend or pull them out of place, go with the contacts. You just want to brush the dust anyway.  That's what I try personally as a first attempt.

I cleaned my motherboard, it was very dusty. Here is what it looked like close up20230625_094822.thumb.jpg.34415604efbc40038421ed82290e7dcd.jpg

This is what it looks like now after I used cotton swabs/buds and 91% isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) and a can of compressed air which I used afterwards and at the start of the cleaning

20230625_121128.thumb.jpg.3e1c223713a54499012a90e9258c8747.jpg

My m.2 slot was so dirty. I used compressed air, I took a cotton bud, dipped it in isopropyl alcohol and dropped 5 droplets into the m.2 drive which I am not sure was a good idea now that I read it.  This is what it looks like now :20230627_171411.thumb.jpg.44892172e5b31806480ddd7cdb6b6586.jpg

Is it possible to clean it even more? I cleaned my PC on Sunday, 25 June 2023 and I am expecting my new case to arrive tomorrow.

Before I put the parts back in I will use the compressed air one more time on everything. How else can I clean it?

10 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

My m.2 slot was so dirty. I used compressed air, I took a cotton bud, dipped it in isopropyl alcohol and dropped 5 droplets into the m.2 drive which I am not sure was a good idea now that I read it. 

Do you mean you used alcohol in the slot itself? That should be fine as long as it evaporates before power is applied again. Which the air should help speed that up too. Personally I would use a soft brush with some alcohol on it to clean that out. Take your pick, even clean toothbrush if you have too (softer than that would be better). However, don't scrub across the contacts of the slot, it would be easy to bend or pull them out of place, go with the contacts. You just want to brush the dust anyway.  That's what I try personally as a first attempt.

8 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

This!
Soft toothbrush + isopropyl alcohol (IPA) + brushie brushie = clean slot.

Rinse it with IPA after you brushed it. Let it dry completely before populating and repowering it and you are done 🙂

11 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Thank you! I was worried that dripping a little IPA was gonna ruin it but I did that 2 days ago so by now it has to be dried.  I'll try your advice,thank you!

39 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

Thank you! I was worried that dripping a little IPA was gonna ruin it but I did that 2 days ago so by now it has to be dried.  I'll try your advice,thank you!

As long as the liquid isnt corrosive, electronics are pretty much liquid-proof! They just need to be completely dry before they are powered on (exposed to electricity) again. Der8auer, a famous german hardware youtuber, for example washed serval Mainboards in an electric dishwasher (without cleaning additions), let them dry for at least 24 hours and they worked just fine...

A soft tooth brush and compressed air will get that cleaned up.

22 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

However, don't scrub across the contacts of the slot, it would be easy to bend or pull them out of place, go with the contacts. You just want to brush the dust anyway. 

I got a small brush,smaller than a toothbrush so I'm coming back to your comment to read what to do and I dont understand this. Where am I supposed to brush?

Dont scrub across the contacts of the slot?

First I will dip the bristles of the brush into IPA

My inital thinking is to start the  top of the m.2 slot (close to the numbers) then try to get the bristles into the slot and slowly carefully and gently brush the dust onto the motherboard itself.

33 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

I got a small brush,smaller than a toothbrush so I'm coming back to your comment to read what to do and I dont understand this. Where am I supposed to brush?

Dont scrub across the contacts of the slot?

First I will dip the bristles of the brush into IPA

My inital thinking is to start the  top of the m.2 slot (close to the numbers) then try to get the bristles into the slot and slowly carefully and gently brush the dust onto the motherboard itself.

Rub the bristles in the same direction the contacts go. You don't won't to pull them or bend them. So if they go vertically, stroke the brush gently vertically. If you brushed horizontally you could accidentally pull them out of place if you got too aggressive. 

Go with the contacts. Make more sense?

The way I read your comment, it seems like you got it.

15 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Rub the bristles in the same direction the contacts go. You don't won't to pull them or bend them. So if they go vertically, stroke the brush gently vertically. If you brushed horizontally you could accidentally pull them out of place if you got too aggressive. 

Go with the contacts. Make more sense?

The way I read your comment, it seems like you got it.

20230629_080346.thumb.jpg.e2df78f18e623385ad9d8ced970fa8d2.jpgThanks!  Now I dont have to worry about dust blocking my m.2 slot from not recognizing my nvme ssd