CPU throttles to 0.78Ghz when unplugged, BD PROCHOT

Hi,

I own an Asus ROG gaming laptop (Model: GL712LW)

Specs:

- i7-10750H

- RTX 2070

- 16 GB of DDR4 ram

This laptop worked great for some time (except the asus software but thats something else).

However at some point (like a year ago) my PC had a very weird behaviour: When unplugged, the CPU clocked at .78Ghz. I did some online research and found the issue to be DB PROCHOT, which I confirmed with throttlestop. I saw some people having this problem that said updating the bios might fix it and it did. Until now. Now when I run on battery, sometimes (it seems too be when opening programms like Firefox) it clocks back to .78Ghz. This makes the laptop painfully slow to use.

Disabling BD PROCHOT in throttlestop fixes the issue but that does not sound like a permanent solution to me.

I found this reddit post, saying to change a registry value. This seems (didn't test it thoroughly ) to fix the issue but: Task manager reports constant 2.59 clock speeds and Armoury reports 0Ghz and microsoft answers listed by the reddit post say this disables the intelppm driver which seems to regulate clock speeds.

Should I try to reupdate the BIOS or does anybody have another fix?

I hope somebody has a solution for me.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I should also mention the laptop runs perfectly on wall power.

12 minutes ago, KoalaDNA said:

BD PROCHOT

The one and only fix for a BD PROCHOT throttling problem is using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT. Leave the registry alone.

This is a common problem. As laptops get older, some cheap sensor on the motherboard will fail and it will start sending throttling messages to the CPU. Disabling BD PROCHOT prevents these external throttling messages from getting to the CPU. The CPU will still be able to thermal throttle if it ever gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not.

12 minutes ago, KoalaDNA said:

that does not sound like a permanent solution to me

Why not? Many laptops would be in the trash if not for this simple and free software fix.

I also had similar issue on my old dell laptop. I just restart, or change few settings in throttle stop to clock higher. Maybe the Intel Speedstep might me causes these issues. See if you can disable that.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

48 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Why not?

I thought it might have a potential negative side like not thermal throttling, but it appears to be completly unrelated to cpu temps

Guess I'll just put it on autostart then.

Thanks for the answer.

23 minutes ago, KoalaDNA said:

thermal throttling

BD PROCHOT and PROCHOT (processor hot) are two separate signals within Intel CPUs. BD PROCHOT allows sensors external to the processor to trigger throttling. Toggling BD PROCHOT on or off does not in any way interfere with the PROCHOT signal. PROCHOT is generated internally. For safety reasons, there is no feature in ThrottleStop that lets you disable the PROCHOT processor hot signal.