Streaming VR content from laptop to desktop, then to OBS?

Hi there,

My Steam VR compositor always breaks on my desktop, so I wanted to stream from my laptop and use its 1650 gpu. However, the laptop is not the best and so I want to take the VRChat camera output and push that into my larger PC which can handle the streaming etc.

How would I do this?

I have a capture device as well on the desktop so I can take the input from the laptop and put it into the OBS that way, but how do I capture the VRChat output specifically?

Thanks,
Eli

If you can capture VRChat output, that would be preferred. I'm not that knowledged with VR stuff, but if they use HDMI as display connection, then you can intercept that directly with capture card since all (or most) have pass-through regardless.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

If you can capture VRChat output, that would be preferred. I'm not that knowledged with VR stuff, but if they use HDMI as display connection, then you can intercept that directly with capture card since all (or most) have pass-through regardless.

Me with my blackmagic ultra studio recorder 3G: RIP face

But also the output wouldn't be that of VRChat I think if we were to intercept it between the VRC HMD and the computer but what would be shown to the person wearing the headset I guess, meaning that it would not have the same correct image ratio size and also you would not be able to use the camera functionality in VRC where you can have the camera on the other side of the room since you're capturing the view from your POV.

Rip, this hurts so bad, I just don't want my pc to crash and just to play VRC is all I want.

If you would have more powerful setup as whole, then using NDI and sending feed from laptop over the network could be possible. But it does require some encoding on the client side too, besides what streaming PC does.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 6/30/2023 at 4:19 AM, LogicalDrm said:

If you would have more powerful setup as whole, then using NDI and sending feed from laptop over the network could be possible. But it does require some encoding on the client side too, besides what streaming PC does.

What is an NDI?

Yeah I was thinking about the whole network thing, could be a possibility since I have the bandwidth.

Maybe I can basically double stream?

Like streaming the VRC content captured by OBS from the laptop and sending it over the network, captured by the other OBS on the desktop in which it'll be properly streamed to the internet.

Noting that I can easily use the Nvenc encoder to handle the laptop encoding to prevent performance issues on the laptop whilst I do the VR stuff on it.

21 minutes ago, Elijah Kamski said:

What is an NDI?

Yeah I was thinking about the whole network thing, could be a possibility since I have the bandwidth.

Maybe I can basically double stream?

Like streaming the VRC content captured by OBS from the laptop and sending it over the network, captured by the other OBS on the desktop in which it'll be properly streamed to the internet.

Noting that I can easily use the Nvenc encoder to handle the laptop encoding to prevent performance issues on the laptop whilst I do the VR stuff on it.

NDI is Network Direct Input (I think). So essentially you are locally streaming to another PC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

44 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

NDI is Network Direct Input (I think). So essentially you are locally streaming to another PC.

Thanks for the idea, I'll look more into this ❤️