Need help installing an RTX 4070 (ASUS DUAL RTX 4070)

LightningMachine
Go to solution Solved by Ralf,

So nobody checked the manufacturers site to see the Asus Dual 4070 uses a 8pin PCIe connector?

Hi guys, 

I want to buy an RTX 4070, but I hear that it uses a different power connector (12VHPWR)? 

Can someone help me out and explain what cables I plug into the new card, and what cables I should plug into the new cables? Do I just use the connector that is currently in my own GPU?

Added for reference: image of my computer with Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1.

Thank you so much to anyone who wants to help me out 🙂

IMG_20230625_145624.jpg

2 minutes ago, LightningMachine said:

Can someone help me out and explain what cables I plug into the new card, and what cables I should plug into the new cables? Do I just use the connector that is currently in my own GPU?

The 4070 should come with an 8 pin PCIe adapter to 12 pin connector. You should use the same 8 pin PCIe cables you currently have for the new graphics card, simply use the adapter.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The 4070 should come with an 8 pin PCIe adapter to 12 pin connector. You should use the same 8 pin PCIe cables you currently have for the new graphics card, simply use the adapter.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

image.png.7b82bdae2baea5fcbe20998327e45b67.png

This, right?

They come with an adapter that takes 2 8 pins to the 12pwr connector.

Long time no see a gs800 gettin on in age.

Also put the gpu in the top slot. The bottom slot runs at pcie 3.0 x4 which on a 4070 is going to seriously hinder performance. Depending on current card performance could also be lowered due to doing that

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

They come with an adapter that takes 2 8 pins to the 12pwr connector.

Long time no see a gs800 gettin on in age.

Also put the gpu in the top slot. The bottom slot runs at pcie 3.0 x4 which on a 4070 is going to seriously hinder performance. Depending on current card performance could also be lowered due to doing that

So, the two cables encircled in green (see image) I need to put into the new 4070 adapter?

Ooooh, I didn't know about the top slot thing! That would explain the discrepancy in frames, because I've had this PC for 6-7 years and it never performed exactly how it did in the benchmarks I used to watch. 

Really weird though, this PC was built in a store, so you'd think they'd know about the top slot thing...

Thank you!!

image.thumb.png.7bb0a76613d0569db688c83cd7f67737.png

So, the two cables encircled in green (see image) I need to put into the new 4070 adapter?

Ooooh, I didn't know about the top slot thing! That would explain the discrepancy in frames, because I've had this PC for 6-7 years and it never performed exactly how it did in the benchmarks I used to watch. 

While we are on the subject of general PC improvements, you should flip your power supply over so the fan faces the bottom, if your PC case has ventilation in that spot. That way, it will not be competing for airflow from the inside of the case and have its own fresh air.

Really weird though, this PC was built in a store, so you'd think they'd know about the top slot thing..

you'd be surprised how little the folks who sell the PCs actually know stuff about them.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 minutes ago, LightningMachine said:

Really weird though, this PC was built in a store, so you'd think they'd know about the top slot thing...

Thank you!!

image.thumb.png.7bb0a76613d0569db688c83cd7f67737.png

Not the only weird thing.

Like psu fan up hasnt been done in years unless the case is some ancient thing or has miserable airflow.

14 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

you'd be surprised how little the folks who sell the PCs actually know stuff about them.

A ton of computer store techs got some training on the job and thats about it. The bar for entry is low af

Often sales person first pc knowledge after

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not the only weird thing.

Like psu fan up hasnt been done in years unless the case is some ancient thing or has miserable airflow.

Case is an Antec Nine Hundred Two. And you're right, I often look at it when I'm gaming, and the PSU very, very rarely spins. Ever. 

22 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

While we are on the subject of general PC improvements, you should flip your power supply over so the fan faces the bottom, if your PC case has ventilation in that spot. That way, it will not be competing for airflow from the inside of the case and have its own fresh air.

In terms of the PSU, it's laying on the bottom of the case, so if I would flip it over there wouldn't be any room for the PSU to "breathe". 

See image example:

image.thumb.jpeg.96c45bb755fb5e242c4fba2f03ef7690.jpeg

So nobody checked the manufacturers site to see the Asus Dual 4070 uses a 8pin PCIe connector?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

43 minutes ago, LightningMachine said:

In terms of the PSU, it's laying on the bottom of the case, so if I would flip it over there wouldn't be any room for the PSU to "breathe". 

Regarding that image, I don't see that the case has feet, so I'm betting that there's no vent under the PSU because that would be useless. If there IS, then add some feet (2" should be good), and a magnetically held filter, and flip the PSU over. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

5 hours ago, LightningMachine said:

Case is an Antec Nine Hundred Two. And you're right, I often look at it when I'm gaming, and the PSU very, very rarely spins. Ever. 

Oh that case sick. Thats a keeper!

The nine hundred needs psu up because there is no vent so thats normal.

It's ancient BUT has good airflow.

Could use a dusting tho a pc blower is like 40$. https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Powerful-Electronic-Environmentally-Friendly/dp/B01FWSYOME

+ a semi soft paintbrush for annoying dust.

And infinitly reusable.

Other than that move ya gpu up.

The 4070 will work just fine in your pc HOWEVER. What are the other specs? cpu,...?

Might also just be smarter if those are a bit low to spread the budget and do a bigger upgrade so you aren't in a case where if you have an i5 that new games still run like crap due to not having enough cores.

6 hours ago, Ralf said:

But of course any GPU with standard connectors will be the least confusing upgrade for OP which is pretty good

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

The 4070 will work just fine in your pc HOWEVER. What are the other specs? cpu,...?

Might also just be smarter if those are a bit low to spread the budget and do a bigger upgrade

Given that OP appears to have a Z170 board, hoping there's an i7 inside. Or otherwise, OP might be saving up for a CPU upgrade later on 

Edited by Fasauceome

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Given that OP appears to have a Z170 board, hoping there's an i7 inside. Or otherwise, OP might be saving up for a CPU upgrade later on 

Yeah just checking in case that wouldn't be the case.

6 hours ago, Ralf said:

Nope. Who do you think we are? That smart dude Ralf over there? Pssh don't be silly we ain't on that level yet 😛

But good catch saves the trouble

On 6/25/2023 at 4:33 PM, Ralf said:

Thank you, Ralf!