New PC, what now?

Go to solution Solved by PopsicleHustler,

MSI Afterburner is pretty much classic of monitoring your hardware during gaming. 

AMD Adrenaline also works nicely to monitor CPU / GPU / RAM loads and temps as well as FPS and other stats. If you don't want to run yet another program in the background, just use Adrenaline.

HWiNFO is used for synthetic benchmarking as its more precise and gives a lot more details.

I would run 3DMark Timespy to stress test the system and see what kind of temperatures you're getting.  Might adjust fan curves if needed.

Hi all,

I just finished building my pc and I was wondering what steps I need to take to ensure everything is working properly. I checked in BIOS and all my RAM, nvme SSD are correctly being registered by the system: https://imgur.com/a/uQ09ORf    I will switch my RAM profile to 1 to utilize all 6000Mhz. CPU boost can stay off right?

Any recommendations for good software to monitor hardware are welcome.

PC SPECS:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/7xxJv3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€467.95 @ Amazon Netherlands)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  (€73.85 @ Megekko)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (€240.85 @ Megekko)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  (€115.85 @ Azerty)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€107.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card  (€899.00 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  (€89.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€159.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  (€8.01 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  (€8.01 @ Amazon Netherlands)

Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, Thomaszz said:

Any recommendations for good software to monitor hardware are welcome.

HWiNFO 🙂

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

MSI Afterburner is pretty much classic of monitoring your hardware during gaming. 

AMD Adrenaline also works nicely to monitor CPU / GPU / RAM loads and temps as well as FPS and other stats. If you don't want to run yet another program in the background, just use Adrenaline.

HWiNFO is used for synthetic benchmarking as its more precise and gives a lot more details.

I would run 3DMark Timespy to stress test the system and see what kind of temperatures you're getting.  Might adjust fan curves if needed.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

18 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I ran the 3D Mark Timespy demo, results here: https://imgur.com/a/fk6Yphq  or https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/96144288?

11 hours ago, Thomaszz said:

Are there any AMD Adrenalin software settings I should turn on for gaming/performance improvements

case by case basis. You can start off by turning on Radeon Anti Lag and Enhanced Sync if AMD Freesync is on. But really for the most part keeping it all off is better.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Was the thermal paste pre-applied on the cooler or you applied it yourself? Asking because the 73°C on the CPU seem a bit high, especially with that cooler. That is unless you are using the silent profile for the fans.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

57 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Was the thermal paste pre-applied on the cooler or you applied it yourself? Asking because the 73°C on the CPU seem a bit high, especially with that cooler. That is unless you are using the silent profile for the fans.

I applied it myself. I used the "dot" method to apply the thermal paste that came with the cooler. How do I check what profile I am using for my fans? Have not changed a single settings since booting the PC up

EDIT: CPU IDLE TEMP seems to be 48-52 (HWMonitor) with ambient room temperature of 28. It goes to around 60 when opening multiple tabs but then cools down to 52 again.

EDIT 2: temps are around 67-70 when playing csgo

Hm.. ambient is a bit high as well, but this shouldn't be a problem for that cooler. You can check the fan profile in BIOS. Check which header you have the CPU fan connected to on the motherboard and then check in BIOS in FANS settings if the fans for that heather are on STANDART or SILENT or PERFORMANCE mode. You should also be able to select manual curves. But before all that, how much exactly paste you added and did you remove the nylon from the bottom of the cooler cold plate? With that cooler temps should be about 8-10°C lower. both in idle and under load. When applying the paste, especially on 7000 series ryzen, try to spread it evenly across the IHS either with a spreader you might have with your paste or apply it evenly with syringe, but that requires a bit more skill to do it right. For best results it should look something similar to this below, although that's just a tiny bit too much.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

12 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Hm.. ambient is a bit high as well, but this shouldn't be a problem for that cooler. You can check the fan profile in BIOS. Check which header you have the CPU fan connected to on the motherboard and then check in BIOS in FANS settings if the fans for that heather are on STANDART or SILENT or PERFORMANCE mode. You should also be able to select manual curves. But before all that, how much exactly paste you added and did you remove the nylon from the bottom of the cooler cold plate? With that cooler temps should be about 8-10°C lower. both in idle and under load.

I did remove the Nylon from the bottom of the cooler cold plate and I used a pea size dot (little bit more) for the thermal paste. See imgur link for BIOS fans settings: https://imgur.com/a/8o2oDSB

Ambient room temp dropped to 25 right now, was just hot in the morning.

Switch from Auto to PWM. The curve doesn't look so bad, although something isn't right, cause it's showing 15k RPMs for the fans. Are you sure you connected both fans? You should have a splitter in the box to connect them both to a single CPU heather on the mobo. 

29 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Switch from Auto to PWM. The curve doesn't look so bad, although something isn't right, cause it's showing 15k RPMs for the fans. Are you sure you connected both fans? You should have a splitter in the box to connect them both to a single CPU heather on the mobo. 

It is kinda hard to see or tell but both fans are connected to the splitter and the splitter is connected to the single cpu fan header on the MOBO: https://imgur.com/a/4njDcqN

I can not physically see if the "middle fan" of the cpu cooler is running, it is impossible to see. The other one is definitely running.

EDIT: both cpu fans I can phyiscally see runnning

Well it's all ok then. It's not that big of a deal, the CPU can handle these temps no problem, so no need to worry right now. Probably need some better paste spreading, but it's not a major issue.