Windows 8 4 letter password

The_Evenger

Damnit windows! I synced my Microsoft account with my windows 8 machine and it rewrite my password to my Microsoft password, which is long. before I had a simple, 4-letter password, that was really fast to type in, and I didn't mind at all. I'm not going to type in my Microsoft account password every time I want to login, and I'm not going to set sleep to bypass the password, and it doesn't seem to be letting me have a 4-letter password.

I have looked around and I can't find a way to force windows to allow my old 4-letter password, I'm not going to use a PIN because that takes too long and is easy for someone to watch me put in a pin rather than my word. is there anything in the registry I can edit to make this happen because I don't want to be using [these are examples, not my real passwords, don't freak-out] "Beaversarereallyshinny", compared to "Beavers" or "1234"

if I can't fix this I will just separate my account because I'm not going to deal with this. I did look around but didn't see anything... and I could have sworn I did this on my old win8 OS before it got fucked... just can't remember...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Hahahah I just got a laptop that has Windows 8.1 and I am having the same issue. I am looking forward to seeing how to fix this.

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

Mobile: Nexus 6P (current)  - Razer Blade 256 GB Laptop

right now I'm rooting around in the registry, I have fixed a lot of my problems this way, disabling the lock screen, removing "folders" from my computer, and I always get bit in the ass when I see that someone else has a TuT online, but so far I haven't found one so I SHAL CONTINUE LOOKING!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

You can use a pin to login. The option is under PC Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options :)

You can use a pin to login. The option is under PC Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options :)

that can only be numbers, my main concern is that it's really easy to watch someone put in a number only password. I rather have a word like "power" be as it's alot more difficult to figure out what someone is typing.

that can only be numbers, my main concern is that it's really easy to watch someone put in a number only password. I rather have a word like "power" be as it's alot more difficult to figure out what someone is typing.

If you're using a 4 letter password you're just as well of not even using a password.

A password should be at minimum 8 characters long and use at least more than one case/type of character (ex. upper/lower case, special, or digits) and should not be a single dictionary word.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

you can change your account to a local account in the settings and be just like windows 7

If you're using a 4 letter password you're just as well of not even using a password.

A password should be at minimum 8 characters long and use at least more than one case/type of character (ex. upper/lower case, special, or digits) and should not be a single dictionary word.

I don't care about how secure it is. if I have to type in "beaversareveryshiny" [example] every time I want to sign into my computer I'm never going to sleep it. which that is effectively way worse than a 4 letter password. so it's ether leave it on 24/7 logged in, or make a shorter password, because I sleep and wake up my computer a lot throughout the day.

you can change your account to a local account in the settings and be just like windows 7

if I do that, than it's not in sync with my Microsoft account, which means then it's not in sync with my windows phone. I was using it that way previously, but would like it to work better with my phone with the cloud stuff and what not.

I don't care about how secure it is. if I have to type in "beaversareveryshiny" [example] every time I want to sign into my computer I'm never going to sleep it. which that is effectively way worse than a 4 letter password. so it's ether leave it on 24/7 logged in, or make a shorter password, because I sleep and wake up my computer a lot throughout the day.

If you look at Windows power options, you have an option for making Windows NOT ask you for a password when you wake up the system.

You can also use the pin. If you are scared about privacy, then believe me, your 4 character password, won't help you.

A USB key that emulates a keyboard can try all possibilities in a short moment. The HDD or SSD can be taken out, plugged onto a different computer or simply a Live Linux disk can be used, and access all your stuff, and you won't know about it. 4 character password, would allow remote desktop connection to be made and someone in your network or outside can try passwords, and login in in your system, assuming you have that option enabled and using Pro version of Windows.

And many more ways. like having your e-mail, and trying to login, and then if you have services, or credit card on file, start charging you for Apps or in app transcation, or just cancel all your services for fun.

So, if you think you are safe with 4 character password, you are not at all. I would recommend to reconsider the pin method or having a stronger password, which both will increase your security, as the pin links to full password, so at least, you need to be on YOUR computer to access it. And a stronger password, will make it more difficult to enter your account.

If you look at Windows power options, you have an option for making Windows NOT ask you for a password when you wake up the system.

You can also use the pin. If you are scared about privacy, then believe me, your 4 character password, won't help you.

A USB key that emulates a keyboard can try all possibilities in a short moment. The HDD or SSD can be taken out, plugged onto a different computer or simply a Live Linux disk can be used, and access all your stuff, and you won't know about it. 4 character password, would allow remote desktop connection to be made and someone in your network or outside can try passwords, and login in in your system, assuming you have that option enabled and using Pro version of Windows.

And many more ways. like having your e-mail, and trying to login, and then if you have services, or credit card on file, start charging you for Apps or in app transcation, or just cancel all your services for fun.

So, if you think you are safe with 4 character password, you are not at all. I would recommend to reconsider the pin method or having a stronger password, which both will increase your security, as the pin links to full password, so at least, you need to be on YOUR computer to access it. And a stronger password, will make it more difficult to enter your account.

I'm not afraid of that type of security breach. I'm talking about family members. I can't set windows to not ask for a password after sleep because that defeats the reason. and my family member are not tech savvy, but I noticed how easy it was to figure out my mom's password on her laptop, which was 6 numbers and 2 letters, I have a password that makes my hands on my keyboard move in such a way it's damn near impossible to see what I have put it, trust me I have challenged people to guess, they never get it right. and I know all about Linux and Ubuntu, I used Ubuntu to reset my sister's password when she got grounded and my father forgot the password he used to lock down the computer. I just don't want someone like my cozen to go on my computer when I'm at work and start playing one of my games that only can have 1 save file, or worse yet, DayZ! but like I said, if I have to put in 8 characters for my password,

I'm going to end up leaving my computer on 24/7, because I can't be bothered to put in such a long password every time I want to unlock my computer or wake it up. it's just not gana happen.