How can convince my dad into buying a new laptop without having to explain the technical stuff?

Koka458

I want to work in game industry which means using a lot 3D applications. Working in Maya/3DS Max isn't too bad but it still runs very slow. When I need to test my characters and assets in game engines; I just can't! It's too slow, 15-30 FPS in UE4. I can't even record and edit my showreel!

I can try to explain these issues to my dad but I don't think he's too interested. Maybe because he wanted me to become an engineer and is just disappointed in me. The annoying part is that he isn't exactly denying it. He's like 'sure', but never a 'yes'. I don't like asking for stuff and that is why I've only asked like twice in 3 years, plus I already annoy him with other stuffs.

And no, it's not as simple as get a small job and buy it yourself. I want to spend my time learning. Having to lean 4-5 applications+programming languages is already too much for me.

Not looking for anything special, something like ASUS A15 Ryzen 7 4800H + RTX 3050, which is like $800-$850 in my country.

4 minutes ago, Koka458 said:

I want to work in game industry which means using a lot 3D applications. Working in Maya/3DS Max isn't too bad but it still runs very slow. When I need to test my characters and assets in game engines; I just can't! It's too slow, 15-30 FPS in UE4. I can't even record and edit my showreel!

I can try to explain these issues to my dad but I don't think he's too interested. Maybe because he wanted me to become an engineer and is just disappointed in me. The annoying part is that he isn't exactly denying it. He's like 'sure', but never a 'yes'. I don't like asking for stuff and that is why I've only asked like twice in 3 years, plus I already annoy him with other stuffs.

And no, it's not as simple as get a small job and buy it yourself. I want to spend my time learning. Having to lean 4-5 applications+programming languages is already too much for me.

Not looking for anything special, something like ASUS A15 Ryzen 7 4800H + RTX 3050, which is like $800-$850 in my country.

Just tell him you'll pay him back when you get your fancy developer job. You sound super motivated!

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

simply write down the pros and cons then make a visual graph showing how long it takes you too render an object or scene in the applications you use

make a graph of how long it takes you to have the coding compiled etc. Once again make it visual so easy to see at a glance.

if he sees you are serious in the pursuit of the study materials you are following and can understand the loss in time due to the slow speed of what hardware you are using right now then I am sure a Yes will be forthcoming.

8 minutes ago, Koka458 said:

Pretty meh laptop, if you were going desktop you could have a much better rig for the same budget, do you absolutely need a laptop ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Pretty meh laptop, if you were going desktop you could have a much better rig for the same budget, do you absolutely need a laptop ?

I want just enough to get the work done. There won't be any 3D rendering just in-engine testing. And PC market here is so bad that same parts would exceed $1000. We don't even have 2nd hand market.

1 hour ago, Koka458 said:

I want just enough to get the work done. There won't be any 3D rendering just in-engine testing. And PC market here is so bad that same parts would exceed $1000. We don't even have 2nd hand market.

Mmm weird place, didn't think desktop parts could cost more than laptops anywhere...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, Koka458 said:

It is as simple as that. Either outside the house, or just helping your Dad around the house to curry some favors.

The way I see it, and from what you made it sound like, you can do some stuffs faster & easier after you got the system anyway.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

31 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

It is as simple as that. Either outside the house, or just helping your Dad around the house to curry some favors.

The way I see it, and from what you made it sound like, you can do some stuffs faster & easier after you got the system anyway.

I’ll second this: If you’re not willing to spend your own time doing something you don’t want to do to invest in something you’re interested in, you’re going to hit quite a few metaphorical brick walls.

Money isn't easy to come by for most people, and even someone with a well paying job will think twice about buying a $1000 machine just because their kid said so. If daddy don't wanna buy you one, you gotta earn your keep for it. Mow the lawn. Get a job. Maybe if your dad sees that you're motivated to get the equipment you want by working, he may consider at least loaning you money so you can get it earlier.

9 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Mmm weird place, didn't think desktop parts could cost more than laptops anywhere...

at the peak of the GPU shortage it was actually cheaper to buy a gaming laptop that could perform identically to a desktop

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

i usually buy laptop using my saving but then i still ask for permission to use the money back then. I would just say that for the thing im doing i need laptop that perform better and it would cost a bit more than usual. Since my mom doesnt really understand computer stuff, i would make explanation using the stuff she understand like maybe how the better blender would blend stuff nicer or something like that.

13 hours ago, Koka458 said:

The annoying part is that he isn't exactly denying it. He's like 'sure', but never a 'yes'.

i understand this feeling because my mom do this to me often which result in me not buying whatever i wanted to buy. but in the end if its money you have saved then maybe try explaining to your dad and ask for a yes or no. if you are asking for your dad to buy for it maybe try making a deal or convince him that this is what you wanted.

You don't need a new pc. Make some 2d games instead. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

simple, get a job.

we can't really give you any non technical tips for your dad because there aren't any, in fact i would advise your dad not to buy you a laptop as its unlikely you'll follow through with "game dev" when you aren't willing to put in the work... i bet your dad would be more willing if you'd at least contribute half of the buying price yourself. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 hours ago, Koka458 said:

No, it is as simple as that. If you badly want something, then you get it done.

You're young - you're in the best years of your life to be sleep-deprived.

Besides, if you're gonna work in the game industry, then you're going to be sleep-deprived working 100hrs a week as part of your job anyway.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

I'll follow suit on the trollish answers here.

Ask your dad to take you to a job fair.

True story, I built my computer hardware business in college with capital I saved working an academic research position as an undergraduate.  Nothing wrong with being self-made.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

4 minutes ago, r00tb33r said:

True story, I built my computer hardware business in college with capital I saved working an academic research position as an undergraduate.  Nothing wrong with being self-made.

There are no "trollish" answers here,  OP sounds incredibly naive and everyone, including his dad, probably thinks he really wants that laptop for gaming 

Also no used parts?  What country is that again?? 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, r00tb33r said:

There are no trollish answers here. Clearly OP has enough time on his hands if he's learning 4-5 applications + programming languages.

He doesn't need to know any of that stuff if he isn't even in college yet, and he hasn't talked about submitting college applications either.

He says he's it's not as simple as getting a small job - but why?

It's sounds OP only wants to do things he interested in, but he's not doing what he has to do.

If this was a Reddit AmItheAsshole thread, we'd have a bunch of people asking for more Info.

Does the OP have health issues that make a part-time literally impossible?

Does the OP live in a dangerous neighborhood and being outside of the house is a bad idea (i.e. returning home from a job)

Does the OP constantly ask for free things without doing anything in return?

I could propose the same thing;

"I want to be a professional gamer - I'm spending all day playing Fortnite, Valorant, Overwatch, League of Legends, and Starcraft. I need a 360Hz monitor and ultralight gaming mouse if I want to be competitive. Getting a job is out of the question. How do I ask my dad to give me money?"

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Do you have any past achievements that can be used to convince him your laptop is a worthy investment? 

You're a salesman, your dad is a client. You're trying to convince your client that something (you) is a worthy investment, and buying you that laptop isn't the equivalent of just flushing your money away. When you're trying to sell an investment, a lot of people use past performance as support for their future returns. Do you have any past performance you can show to your dad? A game you've made? Competitions you've won. Perhaps even sales for the games you've made to show them you're actually making money and you got what it takes. If you don't have direct evidence, maybe you can show him indirect evidence that you're good at computer-related technical fields. 

We are not your dad, but we've been your age before. We too have used the "we want to study programming and make video games!" excuse for that Alienware. Are you sure you just aren't gonna use it to play video games? 

Professional underdog supporter.
KEEP THE COMPETITION ALIVE! 

Does your dad like anything that is depending on 3d work? Does he like Pixar or really complex level VFX like transformers or newer king kong.

If anything like that tell him you want make stuff like you see on the movies. maybe prime him a little talking about how 3d modeling was used to make the VFX.

Then maybe make some simple but effective blender animations and when it is slow and hard to render tell him it the old computer and that you wish pursuit such dreams in the 3d animation space.

Or maybe rent out a few nights at an internet cafe make a proof that you eager for this.

Then maybe offer few extras like you mop the floors or do the dishes for 6 months some job you know he hates doing

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

On 6/22/2023 at 10:19 AM, PDifolco said:

Where I live desktops cost a lot more until you start getting higher end graphics like rtx 3070, then laptops immediately start costing more.

I can tell by the answers which ones in this thread are children, and which ones are adults. 

OP, coming up with arguments for why the laptop is totally necessary for your hobby isn't going to sway your dad into buying it, because it is most likely a monetary issue. 

If you really want it then ask for money for Christmas, ask for money for your birthday, do chores and ask for money in return. Actually put in time and effort into earning some money and buy it yourself.

If you're lucky, your dad might even chip in with some extra cash after a while when he sees your dedication. 

Do this for a few years (depending on how much you got saved already) and then you'll be able to buy the laptop yourself. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I can tell by the answers which ones in this thread are children, and which ones are adults. 

OP, coming up with arguments for why the laptop is totally necessary for your hobby isn't going to sway your dad into buying it, because it is most likely a monetary issue. 

If you really want it then ask for money for Christmas, ask for money for your birthday, do chores and ask for money in return. Actually put in time and effort into earning some money and buy it yourself.

If you're lucky, your dad might even chip in with some extra cash after a while when he sees your dedication. 

Do this for a few years (depending on how much you got saved already) and then you'll be able to buy the laptop yourself. 

This! If you perhaps earn enough to, say, pay for half of the laptop, then your dad may be more inclined to pitch in some funds because he then will realize that it's not just "another fad" that will pass in a few months. Try to connect with people through family/friends/etc. and see if they have any manual labor you can do, I think you'd be surprised what connections can do if you put some time into it!

Also, I (personally) would argue that Engineering would absolutely require a pretty beefy laptop down the line anyways, I've seen some engineers with absolutely monstrous laptops because of the simulations and 3D Modeling that they need to do, though I agree with the sentiment that money is probably a bigger player here and trying to pull a lawyer and argue your way into it is going to be like talking to a brick wall.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

1 hour ago, Birblover12 said:

This! If you perhaps earn enough to, say, pay for half of the laptop, then your dad may be more inclined to pitch in some funds because he then will realize that it's not just "another fad" that will pass in a few months. Try to connect with people through family/friends/etc. and see if they have any manual labor you can do, I think you'd be surprised what connections can do if you put some time into it!

I don't know OP, but I can speak from my own childhood and teenage-years that I had a lot of "fads" where I got really into something, only to then get bored of it a few months down the line. As a parent, I would be hesitant to spend 800-900 dollars on a laptop that my kid claimed would be used for some specific purpose that seems noble, because I would suspect that it would end up being used for something else once my kid got bored of the noble goal like 2 months from now.

Showing that you are willing to not just wait but also work/save for several months shows dedication to the goal, which will probably also ease your dad a bit.

Another thing to do is maybe start smaller. If your hardware isn't capable of handling the models you are creating right now then try and optimize them and make less detailed models. You got an FX-6300 and GTX 760. That might not sound that high-end today, but on paper, it is more than twice as powerful as the GTX 295, which was the highest-end dual GPU graphics card released in 2009, one year after Crysis launched. It should be possible for you to create game assets that look as good as Crysis, and run at around 60 FPS on your current machine. 

Toy Story was rendered on a server farm that had 8 GFLOPs of performance.

Your PC is over 300 times as powerful as the computer that created Toy Story.

The things you can do on "low-end" hardware are way higher than most people might think. Throwing more hardware at performance issues will eventually solve them, but it is far more impressive if you get something good-looking running on low-end hardware. 

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It will also mean that much more to you when you buy it yourself.  You're also less likely to just give up.  You still might but you'll probably work at it more.

Once you start to absorb information you'll realize there's a limit to how much you can reasonably absorb per stint. I can already tell you that's way less then a full working day you could reasonably dedicate to learning. I mean you can spend sixteen hours a day reading stuff but there's a limit to what will subsequently stick.

I'm sure there's time there for a job that requires very little mental activity to rest your head, that could easily afford you any machine you'd want in a reasonable timespan.

Depending on others to get what you want to go in life will see you running into walls pretty quickly.