Building a New Computer for My Family Paintball Business

Budget (including currency): About 500-800$ for the PC itself

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Basic computer functions and streaming 1080p to Facebook.

Other details Ok so my dad is asking for me to build a new pc for our family business. Pretty much, it needs to be able to stream 1080p webcam footage and, as my dad said exactly, "Have a crap ton of storage". He also would like it to be able to last for 10-15 years before needing to be replaced. Also, we plan on building a NAS for home use and would like to have enough storage on this pc to be able to copy some of the NAS files to it. The reason for this is because we may do some light video editing on it/ may need to have some business related files on it for our business. He doesn't really care about the size, looks, or anything like that, so I probably won't be putting any "Gaming" focused stuff in it, unlike my last build. 

TLDR: It needs a good enough GPU to handle 1080p streams and maybe light video editing/playing BTD when I get bored. Also it should have enough storage that he won't have to worry about deleting applications and such to make room. It also needs to be insanely reliable so I don't have to waste time fixing it every week or anything like that since I'm the family "Computer Guy". No look/size constraints. 

Basically, it's a regular ass computer that needs GPU heft to stream, storage to store random files before they're transferred to a NAS, and be reliable enough I shouldn't have to worry about constantly doing maintenance.  

Any suggestions/help with the part list is extremely appreciated. This isn't my first build so I know what to do when it comes to computers in general, just not good at making parts lists.

1 hour ago, Aaron_T said:

a380 would be plenty for streaming and light editing

1 hour ago, oofki said:

Oh you’re right. I was thinking for nvenc, but the aren’t gaming at the same time. 

I might eventually use nvenc for video encoding so I did plan on throwing in a GPU, also because it may be used to render footage.

1 hour ago, oofki said:

I assume most of the data will be archived to that NAS, so I’d do something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kvRzbK

Yeah the NAS will be the main data archive, although I think I will add a 2 or 4tb data ssd in there just because I know there's gonna end up being some sort of glob of files on there. Besides that that's actually a really good list. I've built in that same case before so it shouldn't be difficult at all. Although PC part picker does tell me that I'll need to update the bios on the mobo before installing the cpu. Any clue of that mobo has flashback or qflash or whatever the hell Asus calls it?

1 hour ago, oofki said:

Easiest way is to just avoid it by upgrading to a b550 😂

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PxJtVw

Smart lmao. Anyways anyone have any recommendations for a 2tb SSD for relatively cheap. Sata is fine I just want an SSD instead of an HDD for reliability reasons.

4 hours ago, pikchu87 said:

I might eventually use nvenc for video encoding so I did plan on throwing in a GPU, also because it may be used to render footage.

But for basic 1080p transcode you can get away with NVENC from as far back as Pascal. Older version are pretty ass in quality so id avoid it but 1650 can be had for sub 100$ and itll be sufficient.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.