Should I go with QVL Listed G.Skill (AMD Expo) or QVL Listed Corsair (XMP) Ram on X670E?

Currently replacing ram since the last kit is unstable at bootl, if i go with xmp will it be that much unstable on an AM5 build? (currently have DOCP ram)

If they're the same price and the same spec, I'd lean towards EXPO if possible on AMD, as a lot of boards have a hard time enabling XMP. 

It's probably worth trying to manually enter the XMP parameters before you go through the effort of swapping your kit though, there's a good chance that will fix your instability. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If they're the same price and the same spec, I'd lean towards EXPO if possible on AMD, as a lot of boards have a hard time enabling XMP. 

It's probably worth trying to manually enter the XMP parameters before you go through the effort of swapping your kit though, there's a good chance that will fix your instability. 

How do I find good XMP parameters? I really have no experience in the RAM overclock field.

1 minute ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

How do I find good XMP parameters? I really have no experience in the RAM overclock field.

Also, the Corsair EXPO kit isn't QVL listed. Do you think it might work?

15 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

There's half a dozen ways. If you have the packaging, it's usually printed somewhere on there. It's also printed on the memory sticks themselves. You can find the model number it, Google it, and it'll show up on the product page. You can open up CPU-Z, go to the SPD page and it should list the XMP on there. There's other ways to find it, those are just the first couple that come to mind. 

You're looking for the frequency, timings, and voltage. The memory frequency is probably 5600 or 6000 if you're on AMD since going above 6000 isn't super easy. Timings will look something like 36-36-36-76 or 32-38-38-96, and they're listed in the order CL-RCD-RP-RAS. Voltage is going to be somewhere between 1.1V and 1.4V, and you want to set that for DRAM VDD, DRAM VDDQ, and VDDIO_MEM. 

13 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Also, the Corsair EXPO kit isn't QVL listed. Do you think it might work?

Yeah, I would be shocked if any EXPO kit wouldn't work on an AMD motherboard. It just wasn't tested when your mobo manufacturer was making the QVL. 

20 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Currently replacing ram since the last kit is unstable at bootl, if i go with xmp will it be that much unstable on an AM5 build? (currently have DOCP ram)

I say go with Expo.

When I upgraded to AM5 earlier this year, I bought a kit of ram that uses XMP, and it just would not work on my system. PC would never boot, with me having to clear cmos to make it. I then went and got a kit that uses Expo, and that worked flawlessly.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There's half a dozen ways. If you have the packaging, it's usually printed somewhere on there. It's also printed on the memory sticks themselves. You can find the model number it, Google it, and it'll show up on the product page. You can open up CPU-Z, go to the SPD page and it should list the XMP on there. There's other ways to find it, those are just the first couple that come to mind. 

You're looking for the frequency, timings, and voltage. The memory frequency is probably 5600 or 6000 if you're on AMD since going above 6000 isn't super easy. Timings will liik something like 36-36-36-76 or 32-38-38-96, and they're listed in the order CL-RCD-RP-RAS. Voltage is going to be somewhere between 1.1V and 1.4V, and you want to set that for DRAM VDD, DRAM VDDQ, and VDDIO_MEM. 

Wouldn't the timings listed on cpuz or the ram box already be the ones I'm currently using(the ones causing boot instability),since i just enabled docp(and set frequency to 6000 insted of 6400)?

16 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You're looking for the frequency, timings, and voltage. The memory frequency is probably 5600 or 6000 if you're on AMD since going above 6000 isn't super easy. Timings will liik something like 36-36-36-76 or 32-38-38-96, and they're listed in the order CL-RCD-RP-RAS. Voltage is going to be somewhere between 1.1V and 1.4V, and you want to set that for DRAM VDD, DRAM VDDQ, and VDDIO_MEM. 

Is it supposed to look like this?

Screenshot 2023-06-19 224337.png

That's quite odd, though its clear why that won't run at XMP. 6400 will almost never run out of the box with Ryzen 7000. 6000 is the safe limit for most users who want a set it and forget it XMP/EXPO experience. 

18 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Wouldn't the timings listed on cpuz already be the one I'm currently using? (the ones causing boot instability)

Yes and no. The ones in the SPD tab are the one that the memory kit is rated for, while the one in the memory tab are the ones you're actually running. If you have XMP enabled, technically they would be the same, but there's more to memory stability than just the primary timings. There are multiple people on here and elsewhere that report that having XMP enabled with the exact same timings as manually entering them will cause instability while manually entering them won't. I have theories behind that, AMD interprets a couple sub timings differently than Intel behinds it and it could be that those misinterpretations cause instability. Enabling XMP loads those subtimings (not advertised or listed in CPU-Z), while just entering the timings manually causes those timings to be handled by the motherboard instead. 

8 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Is it supposed to look like this?

Screenshot 2023-06-19 224337.png

No, it should look more like this:

Spoiler

image.png.7b73f9550876db992f2129f4b3e85cdf.png

That said, you can look at the part number of the memory kit still from that screen shot. The parameters should be 6400 CL32-40-40-84 1.4V. The memory frequency is what's causing the issue here, lower the frequency to 6000 with the same timings and voltage you should be stable.

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes and no. The ones in the SPD tab are the one that the memory kit is rated for, while the one in the memory tab are the ones you're actually running. If you have XMP enabled, technically they would be the same, but there's more to memory stability than just the primary timings. There are multiple people on here and elsewhere that report that having XMP enabled with the exact same timings as manually entering them will cause instability while manually entering them won't. I have theories behind that, AMD interprets a couple sub timings differently than Intel behinds it and it could be that those misinterpretations cause instability. Enabling XMP loads those subtimings (not advertised or listed in CPU-Z), while just entering the timings manually causes those timings to be handled by the motherboard instead. 

Hide contents

That said, you can look at the part number of the memory kit still from that screen shot. The parameters should be 6400 CL32-40-40-84 1.4V. The memory frequency is what's causing the issue here, lower the frequency to 6000 with the same timings and voltage you should be stable.

It looked like this the first time i opened CPU-Z, then after i closed and opened it again it shows as the last image i sent. Very weird.

So, i should try inputting these settings in the bios?

Screenshot 2023-06-19 224117.png

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm already running a DOCP with lowered frequency (6000 instead of 6400), but i haven't touched the voltage yet. What should I set it to?

3 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

It looked like this the first time i opened CPU-Z, then after i closed and opened it again it shows as the last image i sent. Very weird.

It's not an unheard of glitch, CPU-Z occasionally isn't able to read the SPD for whatever reason. That's probably what happened there. 

4 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

So, i should try inputting these settings in the bios?

Screenshot 2023-06-19 224117.png

Yes, but you're going to want to lower the memory frequency down to 6000. 6400 can work on Ryzen 7000, but there's only a handful of CPUs where it's possible. For most it only works at 6000 with no effort or 6200 with a little effort. 

1 minute ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

I'm already running a DOCP with lowered frequency (6000 instead of 6400), but i haven't touched the voltage yet. What should I set it to?

Set the VDDIO_MEM, DRAM VDD, and DRAM VDDQ voltages to 1.4V. SOC voltage you'll want set to 1.25V. None of the other voltages should matter. 

22 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's not an unheard of glitch, CPU-Z occasionally isn't able to read the SPD for whatever reason. That's probably what happened there. 

Yes, but you're going to want to lower the memory frequency down to 6000. 6400 can work on Ryzen 7000, but there's only a handful of CPUs where it's possible. For most it only works at 6000 with no effort or 6200 with a little effort. 

Set the VDDIO_MEM, DRAM VDD, and DRAM VDDQ voltages to 1.4V. SOC voltage you'll want set to 1.25V. None of the other voltages should matter. 

I cant seem to find the "VDDIO_MEM",

the closest one i could find is "VDDIO/MC Voltage".

Where can find the VDDIO_MEM voltage?

Just now, DudeWhatTheN said:

the closest one i could find is "VDDIO/MC Voltage"

That's it. VDDIO_MEM is what AMD calls it, the board vendors tend to change it to something a little different. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That's it. VDDIO_MEM is what AMD calls it, the board vendors tend to change it to something a little different. 

Got it. Its set on auto now and currently on 1.104 V.

Im afraid adding .3 V might be a bit too much, but I'll see if it posts more often.

Is there a chance it might damage something? I'm sorry for asking so many questions but I never feel comfortable adjusting unknown things to me in the bios.

2 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Got it. Its set on auto now and currently on 1.104 V.

Im afraid adding .3 V might be a bit too much, but I'll see if it posts more often.

If you enable XMP/EXPO that voltage will go to 1.4V, since by default it should be set to the same as DRAM VDDQ. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

If you enable XMP/EXPO that voltage will go to 1.4V, since by default it should be set to the same as DRAM VDDQ. 

Thats weird, using the DOCP 2 profile (with all the subtimings) it doesnt change that value

24 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Thats weird, using the DOCP 2 profile (with all the subtimings) it doesnt change that value

Update: it did change with docp, don't know why it didnt on the first try. Anyways the timings in the SPD section were already inserted and I think it's the same as before, might have to return the ram and get a qvl certified and expo kit just to be absolutely safe.